Independence Day

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Independence Day

Postby mellowmom » July 4th, 2006, 9:49 am

It's interesting how we all perceive things differently. I read on this board how some are so self-conscious and upset and miserable with how overweight and huge they are and their starting weight is 250 pounds.

Then there are those of us who can hardly wait to get down to 250 pounds because they feel so wonderful at finally being below 300 pounds that 250 pounds will be like being in a dream.

Some of us start at Onderland and lament the fact that we need to be a size 6 before we feel right, while others consider it a huge victory to just slide in under 199. And don't get me started on BMI's. 25 is borderline, 20 ideal...but you have to figure out muscle vs. fat and what's good for one may not be so good for the other...

Why are we so obsessed about the numbers? Isn't the point of this all to feel healthy and enabled to participate in our lives as fully functional human beings? If I don't lose another pound for the rest of my life, I know that right now I feel good about myself and what I've achieved and I'm not going to let the tyranny of the scale or measuring tape take that away from me. My friends and family say I seem happier now, and they are right...I am. Will I feel "happier" if I lose more weight? Honestly....no. Will I be healthier...yes.

So today, July 4th, I'm declaring my independence from the scale and BMI's and measuring tapes. I'm going to stay on Medifast because I feel really, really good on it. Gone is the acid reflux, no more achy knees, no more insomnia, swollen ankles, stomach aches and the "beached whale" syndrome.

It's not so much about losing weight...it's more about "finding" me.
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Ketann » July 4th, 2006, 11:19 am

Carmel,

Thank you so much for posting this. It is exactly how I feel. I am tired of my mood depending on what the scale says. I'm taking a break from it too. I just feel better. I am grateful my acid reflux gone as well. No diabetes pills, no neuropathy, no fear of going on kidney dialysis. I know the weight will continue to come off in time. I didn't do this for looks, I did this so I could live a longer and healthier life. Happy Independence Day!

Hugs,

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby supermom » July 4th, 2006, 11:33 am

I have felt this way for a long time, and have even posted similar things in the past. Is it important to feel good about the way you look?? ABSOLUTELY!! But I think it is much more important to feel good and be healthy. For me, Medifast isn't about being "skinny". It is about being healthy. And, yes, getting "skinny" is an added benefit. I think that is why I like reading of people's non scale victories so much.
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Re: Independence Day

Postby Arklahoma » July 4th, 2006, 12:02 pm

mellowmom wrote:It's not so much about losing weight...it's more about "finding" me.

Carmel ~ I think you've been found. :lol:
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby jump4joy » July 4th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Bravo, Carmel....well said!!! Denise and I declared our independence from the tyranny of the scale on June 10th. I'm only weighing once or twice a month.....not at a set time, but whenever I am curious about the information that "tool" displays. It has been so FREEING to stop weighing every day and just simply working the plan....and doing it for ME. Doing it for the right reasons without allowing the "numbers" to interfere or mess with my head.

You are SO right....being obsessive about a NUMBER is simply absurd and unhealthy....emotionally and physically. Trying to comform to an arbitrary NUMBER or chart is ridiculous, IMO. We are all UNIQUE. Becoming our best, heathy, individual selves should be our only goal....and NOT getting stuck in futile comparisons and trying to fit into an unrealistic COOKIE-CUTTER "Ideal"!

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby SharonR » July 4th, 2006, 5:30 pm

AMEN to all of you! It's so very true. I get tired of people saying "this is the first time in my life that I might ever be skinny" or they say don't you want to get below 175? (that's my goal)

I want to feel good and be healthy, I don't want to be so skinny that it's always a issue of what I weigh or what size I am in.

I actually have no idea what goal weight I will feel good at, so why did I set one? lol I'll let my body decide for me.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Finally_Losing » July 5th, 2006, 5:41 am

I couldn't have said it better...I want to feel good, I don't care at what weight that comes whether it's 275 or 175, it's all in how I feel about me.

Amy
Finally_Losing
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby fernationa » July 5th, 2006, 9:24 am

You're right! Obsessing about numbers is ridiculous. I've lost nearly 30 lbs and more than numbers I'm excited about how my clothes fit and the compliments that I get. I think numbers are bad for morale.

Ashley
fernationa
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby LiLYipper » July 5th, 2006, 9:40 am

What a great post!!! It really hit home for me...thanks :)
LiLYipper
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to The Weight Room