How do you reward your sucesses?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

How do you reward your sucesses?

Postby MsApril » May 1st, 2005, 2:20 pm

Do you have any ways ( NON - FOOD WAY !! ) to reward yourself when you meet weight loss goals? or had a great week with no cheats? :yes: I would love to hear some of your ideas.

When you consider cheating or going off plan what are some motivating thoughts that give you the strength to stick with it?
Last edited by MsApril on May 1st, 2005, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms April in Arkansas
"Dance like no one is watching!"

MsApril
Regular Member - #10 Club

tumbleweed

Postby tumbleweed » May 1st, 2005, 2:32 pm

Hi MsApril! I have not rewarded myself yet with anything, what I am doing instead is putting away the money I would have been spending on fast food and junk food idems and when I reach the 100 pound mark I am going to buy myself a few nice outfits, and then I am going to go on a trip with a friend, maybe a cruise, we have not decided yet.
What gets me thru those days when I may not want to stay on plan are my constant reminders to myself of how much healthier I am than when I started this, and how I move better and look better and how I will feel at goal. I also keep a journal and write down my thoughts, its amazing how my emotions can rule my day, so I am learning as much as I can so that when I do reach goal I will be able to stay at goal, lots of reading and learning about food. I have a long way to go but I know I will get there and so will you! :D
tumbleweed
Trusted Member - #100 Club
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby want2Bthin » May 1st, 2005, 2:39 pm

MsApril-

I have been on the 5 and 1 program since March 10 of this year. My hubby and I love to eat out but when I started Medifast we decided that we would stop going out to eat for a while. I now use that as a reward system. I remain compliant however. We have went out 2 times to eat, which for us is nothing short of a miracle. Even though I did not cheat, it was so nice to have someone else prepare my lean & green meal.

The biggest motivating thought I have to keep myself on the plan if I am tempted is:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Also, I do not want to go out of ketosis and suffer 3 or 4 miserable days all over again. I remind myself that I am doing this so that when I get older (I am 30) that hopefully I will not have to deal with diabetes or heart disease- they both run in my family. I also want to be a good example for my 9 year old daughter. I do not EVER want her to suffer like I have from getting this heavy. I have a chance to still teach her about healthy eating and being active. I also have a chance to teach her how to properly handle her emotions and not use food or any other vice to make herself feel better (for the moment).

I am sure all the other wonderful people on this forum will give you lots of wonderful suggestions. Good luck to you.

Angelia :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby doglover » May 1st, 2005, 4:13 pm

Hi Ms. April! I like to motivate myself w/ fun things like pedicures, manicures, buy something I've wanted but not yet gotten. I know lots of people reward w/ clothing but I am not into clothes much so I don't do that. I also think just getting on that scale is so rewarding. To see that it is working feels great. I am also going to Jamaica in 19 short days and that has been a huge motivation for me all along!

To get me thru tough times I too remember what the first 3 days was like (for me it lasted a week!) and I really don't want to slow myself that far down! I have this time limit (Jamaica) so can't waste 3 more days working on this! I just remember all too well what that old weight felt like and every time I put on a pair of pants that are too big that used to be too small before I celebrate! Maybe that's one reason I don't get rid of my "big clothes". I like that constant reminder of what could happen if I don't keep at this!

And finally....one thing I find is that at almost 3 months now (May 7 is 3 months for me) I have NO desire for some of the old food I used to die for. I can comfortably sit in front of pizza, pasta, ice cream, chocolate. Almost anything but my dreaded Peanut Butter. That is the ONLY thing that keeps me in constant battle! So, it does get easier to resist. For me, they just don't look appetizing anymore!

Sorry so long winded. Hope it helps somewhat!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby bk » May 1st, 2005, 4:57 pm

i'm one of those people who reward with clothing! my incentive is that i am selling/donating everything that no longer fits as soon as i'm done with it. if i went off program and gained weight then i would be nekkid!! i kept one pair of fat pants and that's it. no other large clothing here! mind you most of my clothing is coming from old navy because i can't bear the thought of spending all that money on clothes i won't be using after another month!

i also bought myself a white gold and diamond necklace (veeeeeeerry small diamond, it was just over $100) to celebrate going below 200 lbs. i am certain i will buy myself something really special for goal.

ideas: spa stuff (mani, pedi, coloring if you normally do it yourself, massage), dvds, cds, mini-vacations, daytrip, taking a class, getting a housekeeper to do a deep clean, landscaping, etc. whatever part of your life you know recognize needs more help just do whatever will make you feel happiest! it's going to be very different depending on your lifestyle :)
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

rewards

Postby Seaside » May 1st, 2005, 6:02 pm

Good question. I'll address it even though my weight loss flatlined this week!

I'm a gadget freak so I am spending money that I would have spent treating myself to dinner and lunch or yummy groceries by buying gadgets -- like a new MP3 player that I can listen to while I walk or bicycle (yes, I got a bicycle!).

This weekend I went out for a massage and the road back is lined with fast food places, including my favorite A&W; I went through the drive through and since there was a line, I had a loooong conversation with myself about what I might be able to get that wasn't so awful bad...Negotiations continued up til the point where I got to the speaker and ordered: "One large diet root beer, please!" As it turned out, the diet root beer hit the spot, and I had a feeling of accomplishment for not ordering some high-fat item -- it was a new feeling, let me tell you!
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

great ideas

Postby MsApril » May 1st, 2005, 7:33 pm

Thank you all for the great ideas. I love the spa idea-- a facial would definiately be a luxury item... not sure im up to having some one masage my fat buttocks yet though :-) :roflmao: maybe that would be a good final goal reward.

i know that about 75% or more of this is a MENTAL battle and i try to remembe the verse " I did not give you a spirit of FEAR but of POWER, LOVE and SELF-CONTROL." GOd has given me every thing i need to be sucessful on every occassion :-)
Ms April in Arkansas

MsApril

Postby bikipatra » May 1st, 2005, 9:25 pm

Ms April I know what you mean! My hubby bought me a gift certificate for a manicure, brow waxing and 1 hour massage. It was very sweet and he keeps asking when I am going in to get my massage. It will be a while. I can't stand the idea of the tiny Asian lady who is the masseuse going at my rolls of back fat! Not a pretty picture :oops:
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Diet Diva » May 8th, 2005, 4:35 pm

Hi there,

One thing I like to think of that keeps me motivated is what you all mentioned about going out of ketosis. I too think about the 3-4 days that it would goof up my system and slow me down...and being a math nerd I like to view it like this: Imagine cheating, and playing that game of saying "It's just 1X a month, I deserve it, etc etc etc." And let's say you do this over the course of say a 6 month medifast quest. That means a total of 18-24 days of losing out on the program. That's almost a complete month! That means a month more of waiting to get to your goal, not to mention the cost of another full month of medi-meals. It sure puts it into perspective. I guess it's enought to scare me straight--straight into the kitchen to fetch another Dutch Chocolate shake!

As far a long term reward, I can't wait until I get to my goal and splurge on a new wardrobe....I just need to be patient.

Good luck folks,
Diet Diva
Diet Diva
Trusted Member - #90 Club

my reward

Postby MsApril » May 17th, 2005, 6:43 am

well after my first week sucess i rewarded myself with a Magic Bullet and a month worth of Meidfast supplies! I had only purchased a 10 day supply to see if i liked it or not-- and i LOVE it !!!
Ms April in Arkansas

MsApril

Postby Carrie » May 17th, 2005, 12:36 pm

It can be difficult to learn new ways of behaving towards ourselves.......I too used primarily food as a reward for practically everything that ever happened or didn't happen to me.

Now I do other things:
a Pier One candle
a trip to Bath and Body Works
a new outfit (sometimes in a size too small so I have it to look forward to)
a new earring
applying a facial at home
putting on a hair conditioner and soaking in the tub
a new book
a massage
take the time to learn a new song on the guitar

etc etc

anything that can make you feel pampered. But I do have to say that you kind of have to LEARN to view that as pampering yourself. Before, the only thing I considered pampering was a Baskin Robbins 3 scoop sundae!!! :3head: Now I realize that's not in my best interest to eat that way ALL THE TIME. And I've found great pleasure and relaxation in something as simple as putting a Burt's Bees clay mask on, slicking my hair up with a fancy intensive conditioner, and sinking into the bathtub with lots of bubbles, an ice cold bottle of water and a book. I feel like QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE! LOL.

It's a daily effort to change those ingrained thought patterns, we have to just keep working at it!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss