How bad are pork rinds?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

How bad are pork rinds?

Postby sheila » June 30th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Hopefully, not too bad, cuz Im having some RIGHT NOW! They have 0 carbs, 0 sugars, 80 calories, and 5 grams of fat. What do ya all think? Bad choice or safe?
sheila
sheila
Preferred Member - #10 Club

They sound great

Postby gillian » June 30th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Pork rinds sound lovely for someone who is not on Medifast. ;)
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby sheila » June 30th, 2006, 5:39 pm

I hope they arent too bad, because I am on medifast, havent been as dilligent lately as I should be, but I had the munchies. I ordered some soy crisps, but they are not here yet. Had to improvise.
sheila
sheila

Postby Dayna » June 30th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Sorry to say, pork rinds are not program-approved. Half an ounce (that's a very small serving!) of pork rinds has 80 calories, over half of them are from fat, and two of the fat grams are saturated fat. Our 55 shakes are only 90 calories, so you're getting almost the same number of calories as an entire meal replacement, but without the nutritonal value. To really work this program, and to set ourselves up for optimal success in maintenance, one of the things we need to be very aware of is the value/cost of the calories that we take in.

If you're looking for something to munch (and let's face it, most of us are :D ), I highly recommend the soy crisps. They're individually wrapped to help with portion control, have no saturated fat (and only 2 grams of fat, total), less sodium, and, while I don't remember the size of the serving, it's satisfying (and seems to be a bit more than half an ounce). They're a far better way to spend your calorie allowance. :-)
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sheila » June 30th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Uh, hmmm, the sodium, thats what I forgot to mention, its waaay up there. Ok, I goofed. No more pork rinds for me. :oops:
sheila
sheila

Postby Dayna » July 1st, 2006, 12:14 am

Don't worry, this whole process is one big learning experience. :D I used pork rinds a LOT back in my Atkins days, and eating them certainly wasn't the worst choice you could make (better than, oh, say, a bag of Doritos). Since you weren't adding in carbs, you weren't running the risk of knocking yourself out of the fat-burning state. The main problem is the fairly empty calories, and since the success of this program is based largely on calories in vs. calories used (with the protection and satiation of being in the fat-burning state), additional empty calories can quickly lead to a slow down of weight-loss.

But fear not! You did no permanent damage, you came here to find the answers, and you've learned from the experience. That's exactly the way we're going to get to goal and stay there for life.
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » July 1st, 2006, 12:03 pm

If you have no MF soy crisps, check out the local supermarket and see if the soy crisps that they may have (Quaker, etc.) are close to the value. Just don't eat the whole bag.. lol.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby TonyR » July 1st, 2006, 12:46 pm

Yeah I was going to say that if anything with Pork Rinds they are just way too salty, and will make you retain all that water that you are drinking!! ;)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Return to The Weight Room