Help! Gum pain

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Help! Gum pain

Postby techkitten » February 6th, 2006, 12:07 pm

I have never had gum pain before, but just this week I have started getting kind of a raw feeling in my gums all over, but mostly on my upper gums. I haven't changed brushing habits - the only thing I have done is start Medifast. Is this a common issue?
145/140/125
techkitten

Postby Dayna » February 6th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Someone else will have to speak to whether or not Medifast can be a factor in gum pain, but I do know that sometimes when I'm getting sick (upper and lower respiratory infections seem to be my illnesses of choice) my gums let me know by swelling up, getting very tender, and sometimes bleeding. My husband calls it my "immune system taking a puke." :mrgreen: The thing that seems to help me most of all is to start rinsing, twice a day after brushing, with Listerine. The stuff that stings. It usually only takes three days or so for my gums to start feeling better.

Try the Listerene, whether the source of your gum problems are illness or something else; I bet it will help with that raw feeling.*

- Dayna

* I am not a dentist, nor do I play one on TV. The claims in this post have not been evaluated by the FDA, the CIA, the NSA, or the NEA. Always remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » February 6th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Dayna wrote:* I am not a dentist, nor do I play one on TV. The claims in this post have not been evaluated by the FDA, the CIA, the NSA, or the NEA. Always remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Heheheheheh!!!!

Tech,

I have not had painful gums, but I DID have a really sore throat for a couple days right after I started from my sinuses draining ;) Ewww...

All I can think is that Medifast "detoxifies" the body, and all kinds of crud comes out, in the digestive system, the skin, maybe the gums too?

If you can't take Listerine, I recommend a Tb. of salt in pretty hot water, and gargle/rinse your mouth out with it after every meal... but especially at night. Salt water is a great cure-all for inflammation.

I used to think that detox stuff was a bunch of hooey, but now that I've studied natural remedies a bit more, and tried them out for diseases (shingles), I think it could have some heft to it :)

Getting proper nutrition regularly can do strange things to a body not used to it I think! :lol:

Hey, speaking of strange symptoms, did anyone else have the weird problem of not being tired much for the first week? I normally conk out at 10 pm, but I was up till midnight or later for a while there with energy to burn!
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Loribug » February 8th, 2006, 11:22 am

Bleeding and painful gums can be a sign of vitamin deficiency, I don't remember which one (ones) but try taking a daily multivitamin.
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.