Help - 2nd week - I GAINED!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Help - 2nd week - I GAINED!

Postby deedle » January 15th, 2004, 9:30 pm

Ok guys and gals, this is a tough day for me. After week 1 I had lost 5 pounds...which was great...Then on week 2, I gained back 2 of those pounds! Nothing changed, if anything I've been more diligent...water is right up there too. I am so ashamed...I know this should work, but how could I possibly GAIN on less than 500 calories!?!?

This is what I have found with so many diets in the past...I do fine for a little while, then my body shifts and freaks out and I actually gain (consistently) rather than lose. I know there must be something off...cause everybody else is losing....

I've had the Dr. check thyroid, and thats ok, and I have no other real health issues. It is just so discouraging! especially on week 2!

Please, is there any body out there that can help?

Dee :redhead:
deedle

Postby finalstraw » January 16th, 2004, 6:57 am

Tomorrow, you could be down 3 lbs. Hang in there. Remeber, water gain or retention can reak havoc on the scales. I hope it is just water gain. :?
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

1st goal - 199 (I will change when I have met it)
Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jeanette » January 16th, 2004, 6:59 am

Dee:

Your gain could be a number of things. Ask yourself the following:

Are you drinking at MINIMUM 64 oz of water (not counting shakes)? This is KEY.

Is Aunt Flo getting ready to visit you?

Are you consuming 5 supplements a day minimum? If you are doing less than that, your body may think it is starving and will hang on to whatever weight you have.

Have you been exercising? Exercising this early in the program could contribute to your body holding on to the weight.

To be honest Dee, the body could hold on to the weight for whatever reason it wants...for now. But eventually, it has to leave you.

My best advice: stay with the program. It WORKS if you work it!! And you will see bigger results soon. I promise!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 16th, 2004, 9:17 am

Are you taking any medications?
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Re: Help - 2nd week - I GAINED!

Postby explorthis » January 16th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Then on week 2, I gained back 2 of those pounds!

then my body shifts and freaks out and I actually gain (consistently) rather than lose. I know there must be something off...cause everybody else is losing....

Dee.... you have to realize, weather everyone else is losing, or gaining, this is YOU - only you. YOUR body (though I am not an MD) is going through a HUGE change. This is not a DIET, it is a life changing weight management program. You said
"with so many diets in the past"
etc... This is a change that probably will take awhile to get used to. You said it yourself,
you are consuming less than 500 calories.
Stop focusing on the short moment, and start realizing - say it with me - I mean say it: "We did not become overweight overnight" It will take awhile (a short while in the general scheme of things) to lose what you have gained. You will lose MUCH more rapidly, than you gained.

You have no choice, I mean no choice, if you are only consuming 500 calories a day, but to LOSE. The weight will come off. It is a fact. If you remained on 500 calories a day for the remainder of your life, and never even got off the couch, you would die from starvation. YOU have to have more than 500 calories to gain. You WILL lose.

Think of my situation, 400-500 calories a day, over 100 pounds gone? Something awry? No... This has taken me 130 days today, its obvious it works, or I would not be replying to your message, nor would I be bearing my Testimony to Medifast. If I continue, and never stop, I will die. Obviously it is working, or I would still be at 337 pounds!!

Be faithful. Do not lose hope. Do not lose faith in this MIRACLE DRUG, it works, I promise you....

Please, please, keep us posted...

Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Me, too! - it goes away, hang in there!!!

Postby 2muchBOB » January 19th, 2004, 4:03 pm

Dee,

After a 8.6 pound loss in my first week I was excited! I own a scale that also measures lean vs. fat body mass, and only two tenths of the weight loss was lean, the rest fat!

Then came day 8 where I GAINED 2.2 lbs. The next day I gained another pound. What the heck!?!? I didn't cheat at all! I tried not holding my breath on the scale to see if that helped!

Then on day ten I lost 4.2 lbs. Steadily losing since. Can't explain it, it must have just been a blip. All I can say is hang in there, because you will get the results!

2muchBOB
(working toward "JUSTenoughBOB")
2muchBOB

My 2 cents....

Postby female1978 » January 19th, 2004, 6:09 pm

I only started on 1/10/04. I have yet to weigh myself and don't plan to until 2/10/04. Why? Because I know that if I stay true to consuming my 5 shakes per day than I'll have to lose. Math tells me so. I know that our bodies sometimes retains water and that if I weighed myself everyday, then that could totally be misleading. Additionally, I don't want to become discouraged about gaining a pound or two.

Stay true to your five shakes a day, your min. 64 oz of liquids, and have a little patience. :)

We're all cheering for you!
Female1978

Los Angeles, CA

01/10/03
291/?/170
female1978

hang in there

Postby Jade » January 22nd, 2004, 11:40 am

Dee,
Stick with it darlin. There are many reasons for a weight shift. Actually they are pretty natural. There are those adorable hormones, electrolyte balance, stress, etc., etc. I'm a nurse, and although this doesn't make me all-knowing, it does make sense with what I've learned about human chemistry. I lost 10 lbs in the last 9 days with a 2 lb. weight gain on the 5th day. Your body is going through a big adjustment. Give it time to get with the program. A gain can be discouraging but if you look at it scientifically; it is just a mathematical certainty that your body will drop weight if you keep going. We are here to support you. Sending you energy, love, and peace. Jade
Jade
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Dee's progress

Postby Starloser63 » January 22nd, 2004, 12:00 pm

Dee,

It has been a week now since you posted about your weight gain, how are you doing? Did you weight this week? I hope you stuck with it. I am only on day 3 and I am trying not to weigh until day 8. But I am an everyday weigher, I just have to keep in mind that the scale will go up and down, it did when I wasn't on this diet, so why would it change now. And I know that TOM I can gain easily 5 lbs.

So we have to be careful! Best of luck to you. Hope things are going better this week.
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to The Weight Room