Hard Boiled Egg Whites?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Hard Boiled Egg Whites?

Postby SneezyKitten » January 18th, 2004, 5:44 pm

So....I am doing the complete plan except when an occasion arises to have dinner with friends etc etc. The question is.....can I have a green salad with hard boiled egg whites instead of chicken? (whites only, no yolks...)?????????
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby finalstraw » January 19th, 2004, 10:09 am

Good question.
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

1st goal - 199 (I will change when I have met it)
Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jeanette » January 19th, 2004, 10:51 am

I remember reading on here a while back that someone did that for the "lean" in their lean and green.

Definitely a question for our health advisors!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 19th, 2004, 11:53 am

Hi Sneezy,
I realize you're only asking a question as to whether eggs are allowed or not, but this opens a bigger topic as to what we can/cannot add to the program. Please don't feel I'm directing this reply solely at you. It's a great question that should be addressed and discussed by everyone.

One aspect of Medifast is that it is a VLCD. (very low calorie diet), and by cutting back on the amount of calories you have a day, you lose weight. This is ONLY 1 aspect of the program and there are several other factors that make it successful.

Medifast has been carefully designed by dieticians and nutritionist as a balanced, complete program. It's constructed of a precise ratio of good carbs - good proteins - and good fats. This ratio is very important and if we vary too much from the prescribed relationships of this ratio, we can throw the balance off and lose the benefits of the plan.

It can become a very slippery slope to start substituting other foods into the plan. In some cases it "may" be alright, in other cases your weight loss could come to a stand still. It's best to adhere as close as humanly possible to ensure that the program works for you. Sure, there's cases of people incorporating things into the plan. Later on as you reach your goal and enter into transition and maintenance, this is exactly what you will be doing, but my suggestion for people that are in the early stages of the program is to stick as close to the program as possible.

In the case of eggs, they are a protein and "should" be ok as part of the "lean" in the modified diet. Personally, if i was to be adding eggs, i would probably use it more as a spice and crumble 1/2 an egg into my salad, and cut my 4-5 oz of lean meat closer to the 4oz number to make up for the addition of the egg. Also keep in mind that eggs are very high in cholesterol and are NOT heart healthy. Take this into consideration, if you have high cholesterol or a history of heart disease. I am not a doctor or nutritionist so take this advice with a grain of salt.

My only recommendation is to follow the plan as designed. We know it works.

Keep shakin',
:cheers:
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby SneezyKitten » January 19th, 2004, 4:30 pm

Okie Dokie!!!!!!

I want to stick to the plan as closely as possible. What made me ask was that our friends like to eat at a restaurant that has a nice, affordable salad bar (I can easily avoid the pasta salads and all that stuff!) but there is only ham in the salad bar, no chicken. Ham is not lean and I don't eat pork anyway. But there where eggs, so I picked around the yucks, I mean, yolks and ate about the equivalent of two egg whites.

I will stick to the plan as written because there is a reason why it works!

Thanks for the feedback!

P.S.
Unca Tim, I really appreciate the "skinny" on sticking to the plan. I like a straight shooter and took no offense nor thought it was just for me :o) I think the great thing about open forums is how much we all learn from one anothers questions and experiences!
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss