I am going on a cruise, eek!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

I am going on a cruise, eek!

Postby marrabou » March 23rd, 2006, 1:00 pm

i've been waiting since december for this cruise,,,, its in 3 weeks, its almost here!

how do i not gain 10 lbs on the boat!!!

i really dont want to do MF, because i paid about $1300 for the cruise, so i want to enjoy it, without overdoing it

every meal is buffet style, 3x a day (plus free room service, yada yada...)

its the Carnival Victory, cruise to the E. Caribbean

anyone have a tip or two to share!!!

my mothers advice was to just try to lose a few lbs before i go, so that if i gain them back on the boat its ok,,, not sure if that's the best solution, although i like the idea of having lee-way to gain maybe 2lbs on the boat, but THATS IT !!!
30 lbs to lose
Start Date August 11, 2006
Plan is to go from 145 to 115
marrabou

Postby MusicalMomma » March 23rd, 2006, 1:18 pm

I cruised on the Carnival Victory in Nov 2003!! You're going to have a blast!!!!!!!!!! Are you going to San Juan, St Maarten, and St. Thomas??

As for the food...it's all up to you. You said that you don't want to do mf while cruising, so the best you can do is decide to make healthier choices. Now for me PERSONALLY, I wouldn't worry to much about it on vacation. I just got back from orlando. I gained 3lbs in a week. BUT, I've lost that and 2 more so far this week. I never over indulged, but I gave myself permission to enjoy off program foods for that one week. Only you know what you can handle. Some people give up after one cheat, so they just don't cheat. Some people can pick right back up again and keep going. Some people fall somewhere in between You have to know which catagory you fall into and base your decisions on that :)

Whatever you decide...have a WONDEFUL TIME!!!! It's a wonderful ship!! If you have kids going...they have a GREAT kids program!! My kids never wanted to be with us adults because the had so much fun on camp carnival!!!!!
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Cruise

Postby Jan » March 23rd, 2006, 2:11 pm

Hi There,
What I'd do is head straight for the sea food and veggies. :D And, if I decided to splurge I'm make certain the calories were worth it. No junk food for me :x -- lots of calories and not tooo interesting. I've tasted french fries, chips, nachos etc but now a yummmmy french dessert just might call my name :mrgreen: I think you'll do fine. You can do a wonderful lean and green. I'll bet they have wonderful "leans" and great "greens". Fresh Asparagus is available to us now --- yummmy. Have a great time.
If you do gain a pound or two don't worry -- they'll be gone again soon. Just watch out for greasy food. Sometimes it makes us sick -- that would be no fun at all on the cruise.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby smartipantz » March 23rd, 2006, 4:32 pm

Hi Marrabou,

I'm going on a cruise in 4-1/2 weeks - Carnival Valor! And yes, Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - CAN'T WAIT!

I'm going to do what Jan said...... the food is still wonderful .. mmm seafood and vegies. I've worked so hard to get where I'm at, the more cautious I am, the better I will feel. Also, it's a lifestyle change! Might as well start now.

Let us know how the cruise went and happy sailing!!

Smarti
Restarted 9/29/08
1st month = 16.7 lbs
2nd month = 9.5 lbs
3rd month = 10.8 lbs
4th month = .4 lb /
smartipantz
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » March 23rd, 2006, 4:56 pm

Last time I was on MF, I took 2 (count them...2) cruises! I did bring my RTD's and went up to 2 L & G's. I had a couple of desserts (I couldn't help myself) but ate fish and lean meat with veggies other times.

I was on Royal Caribbean. They had a lean club and I was doing pilates and they had a list of the good for you entres and stuff. I gained 4 1/2lbs on each cruise but hit it really hard after that. I wasn't too worried about it because I wanted to have FUN. Half of cruising is eating. We'll be here when you get back, and so will MF!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » March 23rd, 2006, 11:32 pm

I have not been on a cruise.

Yet. I think I would rather enjoy it. I love the sun and water.

The tantalizing visions of massive buffets makes foodies feel thrilled and fearful at the same time.

You can deal with the cruise the way you've been dealing with your Medifast meal plan - eat every two to three hours, drink plenty of water, exercise moderately, don't skip meals, eat lean meat/fish with green vegetables, and select low calorie foods.

You've gotten great advice. I think that your trip sounds like a wonderful vacation and there will be things that you may never have again.

Avoid the ordinary, enjoy the extraordinary and when you arrive home, get right back on the program.

Alcohol usually makes eating 'reasonably' more difficult - we can relax a bit too much and let down our guard, resulting in over-eating and alcohol is also metabolized as a sugar = it is usually stored as flab rather than burned as an energy source and sends our glucose level climbing...it can lead to weight gain very easily...

I'd take some Medifast along for breakfast and for snacks and enjoy the enjoyables...Have a blast!

We'll be here waiting to hear all about it!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Loribug » March 24th, 2006, 2:17 am

put alittle of what you want on your plate, eat real slow, quit when you are full, you should do fine....and keep drinking the water.
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Trixie » March 24th, 2006, 1:27 pm

I'm with Nancy...avoid the ordinary and enjoy the extraordinary.

I've been on a couple of cruises and absolutely loved them. Sure they do have the all you can eat buffet stuff, plus hamburger and fries, pizza, etc. But they do have some healthy selections as well.

The carnival cruises I've been on offer two menus as night...a regular and a "Spa" menu. The Spa menu is lower in calories and fat. From what I recall the Spa menu has basically the same entrees as the regular menu but instead of potatoes with your filet it may serve vegetables. Excellent way to indulge your taste buds but not increase your waist line! The best part is the spa entrees are printed on the same menu card so you don't have to request a special menu bringing attention and unwanted comments about your being on a diet while cruising! No one even notices!

My only caution is to be careful of how what you eat may effect your stomach. Having been on Medifast for almost three months now I find that when I eat something that I don't normally consume I end up with a terrible stomache ache. For example, I haven't been eating onions. Last night I had some mixed in with my steamed vegetables. Needless to say I ended up with terrible gas on my stomach. So far during my weightloss journey I've had two slips during a business trip. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to eating any more burritos even when I reach my goal weight!

I know you'll have a blast on your cruise! Enjoy!!
2007 Start Date: 01/02/2007
Trixie
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » March 24th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Trixie ~

Thanks for the excellent suggestion regarding the Spa Menu and also for the food warning!

I had forgotten that myself.

Yes, when you've been on the weight loss program adding certain foods can be bothersome to the belly. :oops:

Especially fats: butter, meat fat, mayo, oil, etc. We don't want you to spend five hours in the :twisted: gas chamber when others are swimming, sunning and dancing the night away!

I'm not looking forward to eating any more burritos

Burrito Belly is not a happy thing...it can bring new meaning to the phrase 'Natural Gas' :redhead:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room