going on a cruise

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

going on a cruise

Postby tonisch » April 6th, 2005, 11:00 am

HELLO, I AM ON THE MEDIFAST COMPLETE PROGRAM AND AM LOSING WEIGHT. I AM GOING ON A CRUISE WITH MY HUSBAND AND HIS CUSTOMERS IN A MONTH. I KNOW I WILL NOT BE AT MY GOAL WEIGHT BY THEN. I ALSO KNOW IT IS UNREALISTIC TO BELIEVE I CAN STAY AWAY FROM ALL FOOD. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE GROUP AT LEAST FOR DINNER. WHAT SHOULD I DO AND TO PREPARE IN ADVANCE AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ON THE CRUISE. AND IF I CHOOSE TO HAVE A DRINK WHAT ALCHOL WOULD NOT TOTALLY MESS UP MY DIET. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :?:
tonisch

Re: going on a cruise

Postby tonisch » April 6th, 2005, 11:01 am

tonisch wrote:HELLO, I AM ON THE MEDIFAST COMPLETE PROGRAM AND AM LOSING WEIGHT. I AM GOING ON A CRUISE WITH MY HUSBAND AND HIS CUSTOMERS IN A MONTH. I KNOW I WILL NOT BE AT MY GOAL WEIGHT BY THEN. I ALSO KNOW IT IS UNREALISTIC TO BELIEVE I CAN STAY AWAY FROM ALL FOOD. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE GROUP AT LEAST FOR DINNER. WHAT SHOULD I DO AND TO PREPARE IN ADVANCE AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ON THE CRUISE. AND IF I CHOOSE TO HAVE A DRINK WHAT ALCHOL WOULD NOT TOTALLY MESS UP MY DIET. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :?:

you can email me at <snip>no emails please - Mr. Snippy</snip>

<comment>emails are removed from the forum to prevent you from getting spammed to death - If you register on the forum, your email will be accessable or people can PM you - UT</comment>
tonisch

Postby Dean0408 » April 6th, 2005, 11:23 am

Cruises are notorious for great food and plenty of it. Most people........regardless of the status of their weight gain while on a cruise. Friends of ours just got back from a week long cruise and the wife (who is gorgeous with a great shape) gained five pounds! Of course, she wasn't using medifast for the daily meals and probably didn't eat "lean and green" type foods for dinner. I am sure you can have dinner with your husband and his customers without arrousing suspicion. If you have meat and veggies or salad.......you will be just fine. Lots of people skip desert.

As for alcohol.......there is no alcohol that goes well with the Medifast plan because of the sugars in alcohol. Do a search for "alcohol" on this forum and you will get pages of threads devoted to the topic. If you really want some alcohol on the cruise......well, you will just have to pay the price. If you want to appear to be having alcohol........just get a diet soda of some sort and put a lime slice or something in it to fake people out.

As far as getting ready for the cruise food wise........you could do the 5 and 1 plan for a week or so prior to the cruise to sort of get your system ready for real food......this will also enable you to practice the art of "chewing".......lol.

Hope you have a great time!

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby raederle » April 6th, 2005, 11:50 am

Great explanation, Dean! Just wanted to post a "thanks" for that!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » April 6th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Let me qualify this message by saying this is what was best for ME.....

I went went on a cruise the beginning of March and was off plan for a total of 3 weeks. And in retrospect, it was the best decision for me. I did gain 7.5 pounds in the 3 weeks I was off Medifast, but I lost that and 2 more in the first 4 days back on plan. Now I'm not saying everyone will have the same results, but I wanted to give you mine.

I think I personally would have had a difficult time doing Medifast while on my cruise. The shore excursions alone would not have been easy, not to mention the formal dinners and the regular dinners. I did not OVERindulge, but I did indulge. I drank alcohol most every day, and I had dessert with every dinner. I ate bread and fruit, I pretty much had all the no no's.

I guess its hard to explain, but I spent alot of money on this cruise, I was on vacation and I would not have been a happy vacationer, if I would have attempted to stay medifast compliant. I was with my husband and my best friend and her husband. We aimed to have fun, and in this case fun for me included the food and alcohol.

Everyone is different and you just have to weigh your options and do what you think is right. I knew I would be getting right back on plan. Medifast gives results, and that is what I am after!!!

I hope this helps you.

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 6th, 2005, 2:11 pm

In terms of booze, tequila is lower carb than any other hard liquor. I will find some info on it and post it.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Thanks for your comments.

Postby tonisch » April 6th, 2005, 2:16 pm

I think I will take both your advice. I think I will have a protein breakfast like eggs etc and then do a salad and medifast luch and a lean and green dinner. I can live without deserts and I think a glass of dry red wine at dinner will be fine. I will get totally back on when I get back. thanks again. i would welcome more comments :D
tonisch

Postby bikipatra » April 6th, 2005, 2:27 pm

<snip>no urls please - Mr. Snippy</snip>

the above link will give you info on the carbs in liquor compared to wines and beer
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » April 8th, 2005, 6:08 pm

Tonisch

I appreciated Maura’s comments. When one has saved money and set apart a specific time for a whoop de doo vacation, it can seem like a monumental task to remain program-compliant. Each person must determine how to best approach their vacation time and then to enjoy it once the decision has been made.

Some of you will do well by taking along your convenient Medifast products and will successfully be able to incorporate them into your vacation meal time. For others, your Medifast will be on your cupboard shelves waiting for you when you return home from your adventure and you will be able to resume your weight loss program after the temporary pause.

My personal opinion is that breakfast and lunch may be the easiest vacation meal to avoid.

Like what is so attractive about eating a protein breakie such as eggs? In my lifetime, I’ve probably eaten a tractor trailerload of eggs and bacon and my taste buds can instantly recall that flavor. For my calorie expenditure, I’d have Medifast Oatmeal or a Medifast shake for breakfast and the mid-morning snack and save my calories for something really spectacular.

Smashed potatoes, penne pasta or potato salad can be found on just about any buffet line world wide – why waste calories or your waistline on something as mundane as macaroni salad when something else indigenous to the Caribbean would be a better meal choice.

Alcohol is metabolized as a sugar. Go with Dean’s suggestion or if you must get buzzed, avoid the fruity drinks – many are made with simple sugar syrups = high calories. Go for Vodka, Scotch or Gin straight up on the rocks with a lime twist. You may get buzzed easier than before…

If you are on the complete meal replacement program, eating no regular foods, it is vitally important that you ease back into regular foods – correctly follow the transition program.

Talk with your physician or Health Advisor. If you make no gradual transition and go from eating low fat/low calorie foods to eating high fat, rich foods you could have some major gastric distress and I am not talking just about gas here…your dining experience on the cruise could have a crappy outcome.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby junglejane » April 9th, 2005, 8:02 pm

Oh, Nancy, you do have a way with words!
We will emerge to show the beauty within...

junglejane
Regular Member - #20 Club

thank you for your wise advice

Postby tonisch » April 10th, 2005, 3:47 pm

I have a few more inches to make it into my awesome cruise formal gown so why wreck a good thing by making food my priority. I can have more fun playing bingo or shopping for diamonds. i can have fun without drinking, more because i will not have a hang over the next day or have to sleep in. I think I can do this. No I know I can. Looking good is more important than piging out.
tonisch :mrgreen:
tonisch

Postby Nancy » April 10th, 2005, 6:11 pm

Dear dear tonisch ~

Oh wow! You have such an excellent outlook on this! Sheesh! Who'dda thunk you could look at this with such a positive outlook?

Yup, no hangovers for you...except maybe diamond shopping hangovers...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.