Gallbladder problems?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Gallbladder problems?

Postby Prancer » July 31st, 2006, 6:40 am

I have had attacks in the past but not for a long time. I went off plan a bit yesterday (very long story) I usually drink 140 ounces of water and only had 60 yesterday (more part of that story). Bottom line today I am in so much pain. I know from the past it is a gallbladder attack. I dont know what to do about it.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby smartipantz » July 31st, 2006, 6:53 am

Jenn,

I'd call your doctor. I had a serious gallbladder attack about 3 years ago and had to have emergency surgery. Whether or not it's your gallbladder, serious pain is nothing to overlook...... call that doctor soon please!!

We want you to take care of yourself :)

Good luck - hope everything is ok!!

Smarti
Restarted 9/29/08
1st month = 16.7 lbs
2nd month = 9.5 lbs
3rd month = 10.8 lbs
4th month = .4 lb /
smartipantz

Postby SharonR » July 31st, 2006, 7:31 am

Yes Jenn, call the doctor, let us know what's going on too!
Hugggsss
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » July 31st, 2006, 8:35 am

Dear Jenn ~

Uh, oh! So sorry to hear about your stomach pains. Call the doctor right away.

When a person is on a weight loss program, eating low fat foods, their gall bladder can develop sludge from inactivity. This can happen with any low fat weight loss program.

I had a number of GB attacks over the course of my life, some while I was on other weight loss programs. I remember having lost about 60 pounds on a diet one time and as I neared my birthday, I decided I would celebrate. I had not had any red meat for months. I had been eating shrimp, hard boiled eggs or non-fat cottage cheese and exclusively for months. I pulled a stupid and ordered prime rib and a baked potato with the works...my birthday belly ache was so not worth it. Open-backed green gowns with dangly strings are not my best look. Probably not yours either, eh?

In an ideal world, people will go from low fat, lean meats to gradually reintroducing foods in the specified order, maintaining the fluid intake and chewing foods thoroughly. Having a gall bladder attack is very painful and can eventually involve a trip to the hospital for some people.

My gb has left the bod, laparoscopically speaking.

Take care! Call the doc!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 31st, 2006, 11:29 am

Jenn ~ How are you doing???
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Prancer » July 31st, 2006, 12:03 pm

The attack is over. I have some lingering small pain in the back area but for the most part it is over. This one didnt last as long as the previous ones. I woke up with the pain at 7ish and it was better by 1ish. This is the third time (in 3 or 4 years) I have ever had one and two out of those three times were after eating at Olive Garden. Their food is way too rich. I didnt call the dr :oops: but I will tell her about it when I talk to her again. I know it is from eating fatty foods after going so long eating correctly. My mom had hers out when I was a kid. I just really dont want to deal with the process of getting mine out.

I know you girls will prob yell at me for it. I just hate the thought of the pain in the butt it would be for me to have to go to the hospital etc. So I will stick to my non fatty foods and avoid Olive Garden.
Prancer

Postby Arklahoma » July 31st, 2006, 12:17 pm

I'm certainly not going to yell at you IF you know 100% that this is what the problem is. Many doctors put their patients on a no-fat or low-fat diet for weeks before they can have surgery. For some patients, they just choose to alter their diets and not have surgery. I had mine taken out after my first, excruciating gall bladder attack. It lasted so long and I thought that I was dying.

Best of luck to you!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Prancer » July 31st, 2006, 1:33 pm

LOL Ark. I'm pretty sure. The pain was on the right kind of below my rib cage but more to the side and then went around to the back. My very first attack several years ago lasted 12+hrs and I couldnt do anything but cry. I really am kicking myself for having the rich food yesterday.

I did call my dr though. I needed to talk to her about something else so I figured I might as well call now. I left a message and I'm waiting to hear back.
Prancer

Postby Nancy » July 31st, 2006, 3:37 pm

Whew! I am :boing: glad it os o-v-e-r!

Next time, call the doctor quick, quick, quick, ain't no fun bein' sick!

If you don't, we WILL :coach: YELL atcha!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby JKSRN » July 31st, 2006, 3:54 pm

Seven years ago, I had an attack three Saturdays in a row(pizza, ok,bacon pizza!). Took myself right to the ER from nursing duty, and an ultrasound diagnosed a very nice sized stone blocking the duct. By the time I got myself to the ER, I had a mild case of pancreatitis(common with GB) to go along with it. I had surgery 7 hours later and was happy to get rid of that pain, for sure!! And, no need for a special diet post-op, either. Follow your doctor's advice. Have you had an ultrasound??
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Prancer » July 31st, 2006, 4:44 pm

No US. I missed my dr's call. She called when I was at the baseball game. She said she will try again tomorrow and if not I should try her tomorrow.

I know it would be nice to have it out to not have to deal with the pain. I also know that having it out now is easier then years ago. I still dont want to do it tho. Dh would have to take off work, the hospital is far away, the kids would have to have a sitter....etc etc.
Prancer

Postby Nancy » July 31st, 2006, 7:38 pm

If it is done laparoscopically (and most are all done that way now UNLESS it is infected, unusually large and unable to slide out the little slit or unless the gb is not located in its 'normal' spot.), recovery is very fast.

I had it done in the morning, it took 45 minutes for the procedure, I came home within two hours after the procedure and could have gone back to work in three - four days.

Good luck, Jenn!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room