fertility/birth control?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

fertility/birth control?

Postby thisisforme » October 19th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Hi guys,
I read in the quickstart guide that losing weight on the plan can increase fertility. So...........will my birth control pills be less effective? Inquiring minds (such as my hubby) want to know.
Thx!!
Meredith :?:
thisisforme
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » October 19th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Research out there (and I can't tell you exactly where... but our OB/GYN told us) that as you lose weight, the estrogens stored up in the fat cells are released into the bloodstream, which spikes it, which can lead to a certain percentage increase in fertility. Also, going through this in the past year, Soy does have phytoestrogens, which some journals have had articles relating to this increasing fertility in females. At the same time, soy reduces the fertility in males... for the same reason (phytoestrogens), so if men are trying to be fertile... then they might want to not take in alot of soy.
Obviously, this last thing isn't proven... lots of people around the world eat lots of soy, and the birthrates aren't affected... so who knows really.
But I will say the loss of fat in the adipose tissues can release estrogens, which might increase those levels in the blood, which could lead to an increase in fertility.
Take this with a grain of salt, as I am not a Doctor.. just a science teacher with a Biology degree, who has gone through the whole thing with the OB/GYN stuff with my wife over the past couple of years.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » October 19th, 2006, 9:51 pm

There's definitely been a fair share of Medi-babies on this forum....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby MISSANNE » October 19th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Man. I thought with losing weight, I was finally going to be a little slutty.

Now I can't cus I'm might get prego easier? :x Bummer.

j/k :hammerhead1:
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby THINKnTHIN » October 20th, 2006, 4:00 am

YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO SETTLE FOR BEING A TEASE! Lookie no touchie! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
THINKnTHIN
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » October 20th, 2006, 6:10 am

My husband wants a baby yesterday so for me it would be great. :D

Missanne you crack me up! You can still be slutty...just get a patch. :D
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jan » October 20th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Yup,
I started a new client on MF and just three months later ... hmmm . It's great news for her though as she had gone thru the fertility clinic thing and lost a baby last year. Now she's about 4 months along and doing great. Ohhhh and she happens to by my Pastor's wife :D :D We are allll soooo happy :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby VictoriousNat » October 21st, 2006, 5:45 am

Jan wrote:Yup,
I started a new client on MF and just three months later ... hmmm . It's great news for her though as she had gone thru the fertility clinic thing and lost a baby last year. Now she's about 4 months along and doing great. Ohhhh and she happens to by my Pastor's wife :D :D We are allll soooo happy :D
jan

I looove hearing stuff like that!! :D Congrats to all.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby thisisforme » October 21st, 2006, 10:13 am

I guess what I really want to know is will the pill be "enough" or do I need to be even more cautious?
thisisforme
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Diana » October 21st, 2006, 11:18 am

We need some nurses to chime in here. Best advice is to ask your doctor who prescribed them. There's also a Nurse's Call on Monday nights at 5:30 Pacific and the Doctor's Call with Dr. Anderson on Wednesdays at the same time. The number for both calls: (646) 519-5860 code 0971#

(Here's the thing: Health Advisors can't give out medical advice and commenting on whether your birth control prescription will still work falls smack dab into the middle of that category. If someone has personal experience with whether THEIRS worked, they can share that experience, but that's all.)

Best of luck with your plans.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Weight Loss