Feeding Families

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Feeding Families

Postby kendra_m » September 5th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Since those darn children continue to be hungry, I've accepted the fact that I'll have to continue to feed them while I'm on MF ;)
I'm looking for strategies and tips from those of you that have families that you also have to feed on how you've managed it. I envision that some meals we will eat basically the same meat and veggies and I can cook another side dish for them. They also like to eat things that I don't foresee eating at all (pizza, tacos, etc). Evenings where there are other activities will throw in an extra curve ball, tho I'm looking forward to getting out of the fast food bailout!

Thanksssss! :heart:

(am hoping this board is an okay spot to ask this question)

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Prancer » September 5th, 2006, 1:01 pm

We have cut down on our fast food alot since I started. I do what you said, have meat and veggies then make them a side dish. One pizza nights I get a salad for myself. Taco nights I make myself a taco salad, I prob shouldnt have the carbs that are in the taco sauce but dont tell anyone. Today for example I got the kids McD after my son's 11am dr appt, I had no way around it. I had a bar at 10:45 so I just got myself a diet coke while they ate. I have before gotten grilled chicken from there and not eaten the bun but mostly I have my MF before or after and then congratulate myself for not giving in to the lure of fast food.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Elizabeth » September 5th, 2006, 1:25 pm

It will sure be easier now that the kids are in school and husband is working outside the house...he is self employed and usually works from the house.
I have no problems making breakfast and assembling and packing lunches. To be disconnected during the day will be helpful to me. I can get involved in other things. Making dinner...I've been using the crockpot alot for meat. I either make a salad in the morning or use frozen veggies. I've made a large pot of mashed potatoes and also rice to last the week. Its all ready and it helps. My husband will grill and he will also serve dinner so I can get away. Its working out. It would definately be much harder for me if I were following the 5&1 plan everyday.
Good luck with this. Hopefully some will give you more ideas. Check out the site organizedhomedotcom. There is a section for freezer meals. Cooking 2-4 weeks worth of food and freeze it. I never tried it. I'm not that ambitious yet ;) See ya Kendra!
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby cyn » September 5th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I look at this as an opportunity to get my family involved in eating healthy. I am not being real strict but there are gonna be alot more healthy choices as opposed to all the normal empty calories they are used to having. I am keeping alot more fruits and veggies and water rather that candy, chips and soda. Hopefully we can break the unhealthy eating habits so they will never have the weight to lose like I do. I know it is unrealistic to think they will be eating 100% healthy but every little bit helps and it helps me to avoid temptation as well.
start 8/26/06

cyn
Preferred Member - #20 Club

idea

Postby rayray » September 6th, 2006, 6:35 pm

I dont have kids but i work at an emergency youth shelter with 16 girls who eat nonstop. One of my tricks is if they are eating a meal I cannot eat I will make my soup and have medifast crackers. For breakfast I sit with them and I eat my oatmeal. When we do snack during the day I will sometimes either have a shake or sugar free jello. When they do fast food, I order a salad and i try to avoid the dressing, Those are some of my tricks that have worked for me.
rayray
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room