EXTREME DEPRESSION

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

EXTREME DEPRESSION

Postby SWEESHELBY » June 4th, 2004, 8:06 am

I DO NOT KNOW WHY I AM HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME WITH THIS DIET. I SWEAR I NEED SOMEONE ON MY BACK TO KEEP ME MOTIVATED BECAUSE I AM DISCOURAGED. I AM DEPRESSED BECAUSE I FIND MYSELF CHEATING EVERYDAY AND IT HURTS BECAUSE I HAVE $500.00 WORTH OF MEDIFAST IN MY KITCHEN AND HERE I AM CHEATING. I FEEL ASHAMED BECAUSE I TOLD EVERYONE AT WORK ABOUT ME STARTING THIS DIET AND I HAVE LOST ZERO POUNDS BECAUSE I CHEAT. CAN SOMEONE OUT THERE HELP ME AND KEEP ME MOTIVATED WITH EMAILS ETC. I AM LOST FOR WORDS.......................
SWEESHELBY

Postby Carrie » June 4th, 2004, 8:42 am

Maybe you should take the time to read through old posts. You'll find that a lot of us deal with the same things, and it will motivate you. You also may find some clues as to what is making you feel this way. Though we're here for support, only you can work through your feelings, and make the choice to stick to the plan. For myself, I have found that I have to refuse to feel self-pity, I used to get depressed because I was resentful of the fact that I have to do this, that I have so much to lose, and that I'm 'depriving' myself of all my favorite foods. For me, feeling sorry for myself will drive me to eat faster than anything else, so now I do a 'reality check' and don't give in to it. You'll have to work at finding and neutralizing your eating triggers, but it definitely can be done.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby SneezyKitten » June 4th, 2004, 8:45 am

Hi there Shelby!

I completely understand where you are coming from - I have been in that exact same place for the last couple of months. I think you'll find there are a number of folks here how understand and we will all have different takes on what you can do to pull yourself out of it. If your depression is actually frustration. then here is my take on how to fix it:

First, this program will only work if you dedicate yourself to. I have been very unsuccessful in losing weight just by having the product in my kitchen and wishful thinking! None of us have! You're right - having that much money invested adds a new element - so don't waste it! If you know in your heart of hearts that you are not ready, don't have a shake or two and then cheat on a daily basis - it is a waste of product.

Next, address whatever it is that is nagging at the back of your mind and whatever it is that keeps torturously calling you back to the kitchen cupboard. It requires brutal honesty. That's the step I am at and it is TOUGH but as long as you let whatever it is that is eating at you continue, you'll continue to eat trying to make it go away.

When your ready to committ - and I mean REALLY committ, then its time to GET BUSY! Read Success in a Shaker Jar. Heck, I have read it every night cover to cover for the last three nights. Get online and read every darn post on this board if it keeps you out of the kitchen. Walk your dog. Pull some weeds. Scrub the bathroom floor (nothing makes me lose my appetite faster than cleaning the bathroom!!!!!!!).

And as always - DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! Yes - it makes a difference. Everytime I want toast or mac-n-cheese or whatever, I drink a 16 oz glass of water. This will help in SO many areas - it will stave off cravings, flush toxins, improve your complexion, help with any headache and concentration issues. Hydration is an amazing process! If the hunger or low energy is STILL there - have ANOTHER shake. Sure, we are suppossed to stick to 5 or 6 a day, but if it takes seven or eight shakes one day to get you over the rough spot - DO IT! It is still infinitely better than going off the program!

If your depression runs deeper - if you are having daily boughts of crying or thoughts of ill-will towards yourself - then consider seekiing consultation with your doctor. But if you can identify it as frustration and sincere desire to get healthy - then you have both the power and the tools at your disposal to fix it!!!!!!

We're all rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Lois » June 4th, 2004, 12:24 pm

Hi Shelby,

I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. We have all been where you are right now (I've been there MANY times !!!!!) and understand your frustration.

We each are motivated in different ways.....

Support from others helps TREMENDOUSLY. My support system is made up of my husband and kids, my OA group and sponsor, and this BB.

Some people need someone to talk to directly (I'm one of those) so I am also seeing a gifted and understanding therapist who is helping me work through some of the deeper issues underlying my ongoing, lifelong struggle with food.

Prayer and journaling is also VERY important to me....as is reading books that keep me motivated and inspired.

If you'd like to email back and forth I'd be GLAD to be a "buddy" to you in that way. My email address is <snip>no emails - Mr. Snippy</snip>

blessings,

Lois

<edit>email removed - include email in your profile - you get spammed to death and viruses from posting your email addy on the net - Use the email button below - Mr. Snippy</edit>
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room