DogMa

1 Thread per registered User.

DogMa

Postby DogMa » June 8th, 2006, 12:37 am

Edited to add intro, finally:

Most folks here already know me, so I'll keep it short. I'm 44, and I've been overweight since basically puberty. My first real, full-on diet was Weight Watchers at 18. I made it almost to goal, but not quite, and immediately gained everything back plus about 30 pounds.

Next diet: Atkins, when I was about 26. Made it to goal, maintained for three years. Then I listened to all the people saying how unhealthy it was and how low-fat was the way to go. I ate bagels with nonfat cream cheese and pasta with nonfat sauce all the way back to where I started. Plus 30 pounds or so.

Next came a series of low-fat diets, none of which worked. Followed by a blur of Weight Watchers and some others. The lowest I got was on WW, to about 140 (15 above goal). Then my mom died, and I went on the Supersize Me diet. Somewhere in there I also tried fen-phen and a few other more extreme things.

Back to Atkins. Lost maybe 15 pounds, then things stopped and nothing budged. Gained it back trying low-fat diets again (including the Subway diet, which was totally fun for a couple of weeks). Back to Atkins, only now it didn't work at all, and I couldn't lose more than a couple of pounds on it. Added lots of exercise - nothing. Switched to Weight Watchers - gained 5 pounds in a month.

This is when I pretty much gave up. I went back to low-carb and didn't lose weight even though I was averaging under 1000 calories a day (thank you, ketosis), but at least I felt better without the sugar. I saw a series of doctors to try to figure out what the problem was. Three recommended Medifast, but I thought it was too extreme and not a long-term solution.

Then one day, I'm not sure what happened. I looked it up on the Net out of desperation, and thought maybe it COULD be a long-term solution if I just committed to basically sticking with it for the rest of my life. I liked that it was at least reduced carb, so I'd been in a mild form of ketosis, even if it wasn't as low as I was used to. So I ordered a month's worth of food and told myself I'd give it a month and see what happened. Honestly, I didn't think I'd last a week without getting bored silly and giving up.

First few days: pretty hungry, but no other problems because I was so used to being in ketosis. The main issue for me was the sweetness of most of the products, and the saltiness of the soups. I wasn't used to having much of either. But I started losing weight right away (5 or 6 pounds the first week, 2 a week after that for the rest of the month). I stuck mostly with the soups and chili because of the sweetness issue, but oddly enough, I really didn't get as bored as I had expected.

After that first month, I had a lot of traveling to do because I was interviewing for jobs around the country. I stuck to the plan as best I could, but had a few questionable meals - no WAY was I going to tell a prospective employer I couldn't eat at a certain restaurant because I was dieting. The thing is, though, I kept losing. Slowly, but losing.

So here I am. It's a year later (well, it will be in a few days). I accepted a job and moved halfway across the country, from Southern California to Texas. And then I just moved again, because I bought a house here. I still lose slowly, but I LOSE, which is still something of a miracle to me. I've gone from a size 18W or 20W to a size 8 (or a 6 in some brands), one size from my goal (I think; I'm still toying with the idea of going down another size after that, but I'll have to think about it because I know my body image is out of whack). According to mybodycomp, I'm no longer overweight; I still have about a pound to go on the other BMI calculators, but I think mybodycomp is probably more accurate because it requires a lot of measurements rather than just height and weight.

Side benefits? I haven't been sick in an entire year, other than something that was either shingles or (as I think) just some sort of pinched nerve. And I've made some new friends here (some of whom I get to meet in person at the end of the month - yay!!). And I've learned that I'm stronger and more patient than I thought I was.

End of book.
Last edited by DogMa on June 24th, 2008, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

June 8, 2006

Postby DogMa » June 8th, 2006, 8:50 am

I still need to write some sort of intro, I guess, but right now I'm too excited. I'm FINALLY in the 60# club today!!!!

OK, here's the other thing I wanted to do here: keep track of eating and exercise.

Today:
Pilates/flexibility with Sharon Mann

Oatmeal
Broccoli soup w/half package of crackers
Stacy's soy crisps (shhh, it seems to be working)
Spinach-feta pie, pickle
Pudding
RTD
Pudding
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby DogMa » June 8th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Wow, Vicky, thanks. And you are one of the very few people around who was here when I first started and isn't in maintenance yet, either. Talk about patience!

We are BOTH going to get there, and I truly hope we'll be able to enjoy it together!
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby lauradr » June 9th, 2006, 3:43 am

Robin, Wtg I am so happy for you!! :D :whoohoo: :bravo: :bighug: :bighug:
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby DogMa » June 9th, 2006, 9:44 am

Laura, happy to see you online!! You know we have another person from San Angelo here now, right?

Anyway, another day, another date with the scale. And of course, after yesterday's 137.2, I'm a whopping 138.8. Guess that's what happens when you eat pickles two days in a row. Sigh. (Lesson to any newbies reading this: Do NOT freak out about scale fluctuations. They're part of life.) The workout might have had something to do with it, too. This, too, shall pass. Literally.

Anyway, no pickles for me today, but unfortunately I have to eat dinner out tonight, so there might be some extra salt there. I don't even know where I'm going, and I won't have much control over it, so I'll do the best I can.

I'll post my whole day later on, so I can keep track. Thanks to everyone for the cheering. I needed it this week!
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby DogMa » June 9th, 2006, 5:22 pm

OK, not SO bad today, considering.

Oatmeal, 2 bottles water
Broccoli soup w/ half a pack of crackers, 2 bottles water
About half a bar
Broiled chicken breast with broccoli and green beans (and unfortunately, Diet Coke instead of water; I'm trying to make up for that now that I'm at work)
Still to come:
Soy crisps, 2 bottles water
RTD
Pudding, 1 bottle water

Not stellar, but coulda been worse. I'm glad I only had half the bar, since dinner wasn't long afterward. I had planned to grab a quick RTD in the car on my way to my meeting/dinner, but they were still too frozen.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

June 10, 2006

Postby DogMa » June 10th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Another challenging day, but it hasn't been so bad. Was 138.4 today, so still hanging onto some water. Today I had matinee tickets to "The King and I" (with Lou Diamond Phillips!). But of course the timing was ALL wrong for food. Plus it's the anniversary of my dad's death. But with everything going on, and letting myself get way too dehydrated because I didn't want to have to leave the performance for a potty break, I passed all the fast food places on my way home and wasn't even tempted for a change. Yay, me.

Anyway ...
Oatmeal (two bottles of water)
RTD
Half a bar
Bottle of water

With the plan for the rest of the day:
Steak and green beans (two bottles of water)
Soy crisps (I'll try for two more bottles, but I don't know)
Pudding (bottle of water)
Soy crisps (oops)

The good news is I wore a pair of size 8 gauchos and a kind of sexy top. And didn't feel fat. Felt a little slutty because the top was lower-cut than I thought. But not fat. :roll:
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

June 11, 2006

Postby DogMa » June 11th, 2006, 2:39 pm

138.8. Sigh. But some sandbox issues, plus more salt and water issues the past couple of days (and those half-bars). I'm afraid I might have to give up the non-plan soy crisps, but I'm giving it a couple of days before I change anything, now that I'm back on my regular routine. Still could be the workouts, too, since that always slows or stops me. But I tried on the next-size-down Aura jeans, and they're getting awfully close.

Food:
Oatmeal (2 bottles water)
Broccoli soup, half pack crackers (2 bottles water)
Soy crisps (bottle water)
Still to come:
Spinach pie (bottle water)
RTD (bottle water)
Oatmeal or cocoa (just realized I miscounted and didn't bring as much to work as I should have, but hopefully I can find a bowl around and make some oatmeal later)
Pudding
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby DogMa » June 12th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Almost forgot. It's my one-year Medifast anniversary today. Yay! I guess.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby FORMOMMY » June 12th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Happy MF Anniversary Robin!!!
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby jump4joy » June 12th, 2006, 3:14 pm

DogMa wrote:Almost forgot. It's my one-year Medifast anniversary today. Yay! I guess.

You GUESS?! Sticking to this and hanging in there for one whole year is quite an ACCOMPLISHMENT! Happy MF Anniversary, Robin....you are my hero!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby DogMa » June 12th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Thanks, guys. I meant yay, for sticking with it, but I really had hoped to be in maintenance by now. So not yay for still being on Medifast after a whole year.

So where's my cake made out of shake mix with pudding frosting? Hee.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby DogMa » June 12th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Heh. That'll work. I had two pickles to celebrate. So what if I blow up like a balloon and have to stay off the scale for a few more days?
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Nancy » June 12th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Happy Anniversary, Robin!

I am so happy that you are here. I am really looking forward to meetin' ya in The Thin! The weight loss / weight management journey is just that - it's a journey. It takes time to come to grips with the way foodies must view food and how we must eat if we intend to manage our weight, to stay healthy for the best of our lives. I appreciate you so much, Robin.

I had a pickle encounter myself - I cannot even work up the nerve to write the number of pickles I ate. My eyes are practically swollen shut today...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DogMa » June 12th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Ha. Yeah, the ones I love are full of garlic. They're fabulous, but they really don't agree with me at all, between the swelling and the tummy upset. But does that stop me? Never.

I just know I should avoid the scale tomorrow. And I also know that I won't.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Next

Return to My Journal