Of cough syrup and other things

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Of cough syrup and other things

Postby Dayna » January 26th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Started getting a cold last Friday. That's not unusual, since I'm teaching at a new school this year, and, as the music teacher, I see all 309 of the little germ-carrying darlings every week. And they give you hugs, then they cough on you, or tell you how they were throwing up last night . . . they're so sweet. :lol: Anyhow, the cold turned into a cough, and Sunday night I grabbed the cough syrup out of the cabinet. Out of curiosity, took a gander at the ingredients. :shock: SUGAR!! :shock: And lots of it. (How can it be that full of sugar and still taste so foul?) But, as my husband reminded me, this was a necessary medicine, not a "cheat," so I took it that night, and the next day found the cough syrup for diabetics at the store. Finally got into the doctor today, turns out to be bronchitis, which is not to be taken lightly by anyone, but especially not by an asthmatic, but fortunately had not made it to the pneumonia stage yet. Now for some random thoughts, observations, a recommendation, and perhaps even a question or two:

1. Medifast MUST be giving me more energy, because even though I was sick on Monday, I still managed to do all the laundry and clean the kitchen. Historically, when I get sick like this, I use it as an excuse to be completely lazy. On Monday, I couldn't hardly bring myself to sit still.

2. My blood pressure (as taken by the nurse today) was 116/66!! In my thin years (which basically means up until I graduated high school), I always had nice low blood pressure, but as my weight went up, so did the readings. My mom has had trouble with high BP, and has been on medication for it as long as I can remember, so I knew that I could be headed for that road, if I didn't take care of my body. Looks like Medifast and the weight I've lost since August is already doing good things for my body!

3. The doctor prescribed hycodan cough syrup (the good stuff), and I asked if it came in a sugar-free version. He didn't know, but he went ahead and wrote "sugar-free, if available" on the slip. Guess what, boys and girls? Sugar-free is available! Even one of the pharmacists was surprised when the other one handed him the bottle; he hadn't known it was available. All of which is to say, in this season of nasty coughs, if you need cough syrup, you can get a sugar-free version. (That was the recommendation. :D )

4. As I was waiting at the drug store, I noticed I was standing in front of the very tasty locally-made toffee. I expected to want some. I didn't. The packets are so good (especially the hot chocolate and the chai latte) that I don't feel deprived at all, and it makes being around "dangerous" food so much easier. This felt like one of those little victories, so I thought I would share. :)

5. From the vets, any suggestions on getting through an illnesses like this? I know I'm getting enough vitamins and what-have-you, but is the low caloric intake a problem? Is there anything I should be aware of, or careful about, or signs I should watch for? I'm talking medifast-wise, of course; I know my way around bronchitis and pneumonia all too well.

Enough with the ramblings. I blame my long-windedness on the cough syrup. ;)

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DogMa » January 26th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I can't say for sure, but what I do know is I recently had shingles (the first time I've had so much as a cold since I started last summer), and from all reports my case was much milder and shorter than most. Don't know if it's related, though. I DO know I haven't been so cold- and flu-free in years.

That said, I'll be sniffling into my chicken noodle soup by tomorrow. :)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

illness free

Postby Jan » January 26th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I think these things really make sense. I too have experienced a lack of the old cold sniffly nose syndrome. :D I think it's because we are getting all the nutrients are bodies need and are feeding ourselves in exactly the right way. Our bodies soon know they'll beg etting the next meal right on schedule . Our sugar ups and downs level out. It is great for our blood pressure too!! Plus the food is all pharmaceutical grade so everything is great for us. We are doing the best thing possible for ourselves.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Dayna » January 26th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Good news! Tonight, my hubby and I were talking about a camping trip that's coming up at the end of May, and I was asking about the amount of water we'll need, and he started thinking about how much I'll need for my supplements. At which point I asked, "So I have your blessing to continue on this program?" (I asked because at the start of the program, he was looking at it as a "try it for a month and then we'll see if it's worth the money" kind of thing, and because large-ish expenditures require approval from both of us.) He said, no hesitation at all, "Yes." Woohoo! Skinny body, here I come!

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby DogMa » January 27th, 2006, 12:05 am

That's great, Dayna! It must be nice to have such a supportive hubby. Have a great time camping!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Return to The Weight Room