Chat Room Etiquette

Meet Terry and Nancy.

Chat Room Etiquette

Postby Unca_Tim » July 14th, 2004, 4:23 pm

Proper etiquette in a chat room makes it a more enjoyable place to gather. Many places to chat have become an open forum for argument and hurt or just plain vulgarity. When this happens good people leave. The following rules are a general guideline to follow which will help make this a quality chat room and develop a true sense of "Community".
    · Always greet someone who enters the room with a friendly "Hi" or "Welcome".
    · Please refrain from vulgar or profane language.
    · Never use or take God's name in vain. After all this is the 2nd commandment!
    · Ask for clarification of your interpretation of someone's reply to your post, before you make an accusation of what you may think they meant. Comments like "Did you mean?" or "Am I understanding you right?" are a good way to clarify things.
    · When discussing/giving opinions on Medifast products or plans, other social issues or any other emotional topics...Always begin your comments with "I Think", "I Believe", "I Feel" etc.... This small gesture eliminates personal attack on someone.
    · Never "Flame or Insult" anyone or their beliefs, opinions and values. Arguing with someone will never make a friend or build a community.. Always respect each others values/opinions!
    · Don't use LARGE CAPS FOR ALL OF YOUR TYPING, this is known as yelling and is normally used to emphasize a phrase or statement. Anyway, you don't want to be known as a LOUD MOUTH.
    · Beware! Don't give out any personal information unless you really want the whole world to know. This is for your own protection!
    · Add your email to your profile and instruct people to use the link provided to email you. Never add your email to a post, unless you want your inbox full of spam!
    · This is an open forum to the public, and with your help we can keep it that way. Welcome and enjoy....:)

The Folks at MakeMeThinner
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby NikkiNix » July 14th, 2004, 10:48 pm

Hi Unca,

I just read your post about etiquette and I feel soooo embarassed :oops: I always put my typing in all caps because I have iritis( inflamation of the eye) and it's harder for me to see smaller letters so I just wrote larger to see it clearer. MY BAD. I definatly don't want to be known as the loud mouth. Anyway I'm glad you cleared that up for me cause I've never been part of a forum before but i'm sure glad I am now. Apoligies to those of you who thought I was being obnoxious :oops: I try to be friendly as I can no more large letters from this embarassed mfaster.

Nikki
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » July 14th, 2004, 11:05 pm

No prob Nikki,
I shoulda posted that long ago. I think quite a few here are relatively new to the net.
:)
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » July 15th, 2004, 5:27 am

Tim,
Many thanks for this post. You accomplished with little fanfare (and drama) what I tried, and failed, to communicate recently.

I want this to be a forum where everyone feels comfortable, and where everyone gets and gives support. Many of us spend a significant amount of time here, and as with any group of people, we have differences of opinions and misunderstandings. These are going to happen, and I do not believe that anyone here has anything other than the best of intentions. I believe the important thing is to work through our glitches with respect for one another.

We all have different 'writing styles'. The more time you spend here, the more you get to know a particular person and how they talk. It is very easy to misinterpret one another. I personally believe very strongly, here and in my 'real' life, in taking responsibility for what I say and do.

Every person here deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. I would NEVER say anything to be deliberately hurtful - and if someone interpreted what I was saying as such I would be mortified and HOPE that they would allow me the opportunity to further clarify myself before they left with the feeling that I had been hurtful to them. Truly, my only intention is to participate in this forum, in a safe and courteous environment, and get and give support.

I appreciate this forum very much,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby SharonR » August 13th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Am I missing something? Where is the chat room?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby JeepGirl » August 13th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Ahh I believe they call the forum a chat room here. I was all confused at first but that is how it was explained to me.

It seems there used to be a weekly chat somewhere but it is no longer available.
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby SharonR » August 13th, 2006, 3:49 pm

ahh cause it says, when someone comes in greet them with a hi or hello. Made me wonder...

They should have live chat, that would be really fun.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » August 13th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Until recently, we had live chats regularly, but there's been something wrong with the webchat. Unca's been working on it and they should be back.

Yep, they were fun.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby JeepGirl » August 13th, 2006, 4:41 pm

hmm I wonder what kind of issues they are having with the chat--they are fairly simple to load and run. I know there hasnt been one here since at least the beginning of June. It would be fun to do!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Serendipity » August 13th, 2006, 6:27 pm

We were using "Live Online Meeting". I don't know exactly what went wrong. You can ask Unca when he gets back, I guess.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Re: Chat Room Etiquette

Postby Mike » March 2nd, 2008, 9:36 pm

Unca_Tim wrote:Proper etiquette in a chat room makes it a more enjoyable place to gather. Many places to chat have become an open forum for argument and hurt or just plain vulgarity. When this happens good people leave. The following rules are a general guideline to follow which will help make this a quality chat room and develop a true sense of "Community".

· Please refrain from vulgar or profane language.

· This is an open forum to the public, and with your help we can keep it that way. Welcome and enjoy....:)

The Folks at MakeMeThinner

I've noticed in a number of posts in the past few months that people have become a bit free in their use of terms that are not really appropriate. I've discussed this with those who run the forum and they feel similarly and so I felt the need to reiterate a couple of points that I take directly from the original forum directives. Please remember these things when posting, even in your journal or someone else's personal journal.

Thanks.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to A Message from your Hosts