Blood sugar ?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Blood sugar ?

Postby sidrah » July 6th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone took their blood sugar daily. I know mine has always been low...well, under 100. Not like 40s or 50s low.

Obviously for people on medication or with diabetes issues would have differences, but does anyone normally not on meds test just out of curiosity? I used to use my mom's just to see and I tested on my dad's today just to see. If so, what numbers do you usually see.

Keep in mind I am not using diabetes bars or drinks, just the regualr ones.

Thanks
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 6th, 2006, 8:50 pm

I used to test sometimes because of problems with low blood sugar. But I'm pretty sure under 100 is fine, if you're not diabetic.

From the Mayo Clinic site, in the section on random blood sugar testing (as opposed to fasting):

If your random blood sugar is less than 100 mg/dL (5.55 mmol/L), it's normal.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ketann » July 7th, 2006, 5:27 am

I test once a day. Before Medifast, I was taking three pills a day for my blood sugar. Thirteen days after Medifast, they all got flushed down the toilet. July 6 was 8 weeks for me being on Medifast. Since being off the medication, the lowest my Blood sugar has been is 86, the highest is 101. My Dr. said this is normal for me. Hope that helps.

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Prancer » July 7th, 2006, 7:33 am

I think the numbers Ketann said are normal. It depends too if you are fasting before you take it or if it is after food.

I test once in a while. Our Pastor's youngest daughter is diabetic and she spends a lot of time with me& my kids. She tests me when she tests herself.
Prancer

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 8:36 am

I test occasionally. Diabetes is rampant in my family and if I didn't lose weight, I knew that's where I was headed. 80-120 is considered normal blood sugar reading while either fasting or several hours after your last meal. Over 120 is getting into the borderline area. It is normal for blood sugar to be somewhat higher right after eating and then it will drop as the insulin does it's job of moving the sugar out of your blood and into your cells.

Postby sidrah » July 7th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Thanks. I had all the details about numbers, but I was just wondering, after being on MF for a while, how everyone's numbers read. I think I am going to get the diabetes bars anyhow, though. Can't hurt and if they taste as good, then why not?
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 7th, 2006, 5:23 pm

I actually prefer the diabetic peanut butter bars to the regular. Although all the bars have too many carbs and too much sugar for me.

I'm not diabetic, but EVERYone in my family is or was, including both parents, my brother (diagnosed a year and a half ago) and all my maternal aunts and uncles. They weren't all overweight or sedentary, either. My mom was diagnosed at about my age, and my brother is two and a half years older than me and was diagnosed early last year. So I figure I may as well eat as if I've already got it.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Ketann » July 7th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I have a slight bar phobia because of the carbs. I only eat them 1-2 times a week when I'm out. I haven't tried the RTD's yet, but I'm probably going to replace the bars with those for days I'm outside the home. I ate so much garbage before Medifast, and now I'm paranoid over a bar. :roll:

Keturah
Ketann

Postby sidrah » July 7th, 2006, 10:29 pm

I hear you on the extra carbs thing. I would think that in all the modifications and slight changes being made that might be one of the alterations. I don't know about Atkins bars having all of the vitamins that Medifast ones do, but the carb counts are completely different. If one company can get it lower, I wonder how much finagling it would take not to have other change, as well.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Mike » July 8th, 2006, 11:05 pm

I'm a former diabetic (before gastric bypass) and used to check my blood sugar regularly. After gastric bypass my numbers were always in the normal range between 90 and 105 (unmedicated) so I stopped checking so regularly (once every couple of weeks) then I just kinda got out of the habit.
I checked before I started Medifast and it was 125 (which is in the normal range but high end of it). My last blood test was 98 (normal). This is from the Kaiser Health Help section
Blood glucose
Fasting blood glucose:
70–99 milligrams per deciliter or less than 5.5 mmol/L
2 hours after eating (postprandial):
70–145 mg/dL (less than 7.9 mmol/L)
Random (casual):
70–125 mg/dL (less than 7.0 mmol/L)
Hope this helps.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby sidrah » July 8th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Thanks,

Well, some of those abbreviations are lost on me, but the numbers I get. I range from 75-95 normally and that is usually an hour or so after I eat that I get the 90s.

My mom had and my dad has diabetes now. Both were prescribed pills. My aunt takes the shots and my uncle takes shots, too(Aunt and unlce on my mom's side, if that matters in the big scheme). I guess I am always checking just in case. I would prefer the lower sugar bars and oatmeal. Less sugar never hurt anyone.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » July 9th, 2006, 8:09 am

Just wanted to chime in that every hospital, laboratory, and lab book will quote different numbers as "normal". At my facility, 60 - 110 is normal glucose range.
Arklahoma

Return to The Weight Room