I believe I have hives....not spider bites. What do I do?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

I believe I have hives....not spider bites. What do I do?

Postby Elizabeth » October 24th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Last week I had a raised hive like bump on my shin (thought it was a bite)....a couple of days ago I noticed I've been itching between my big toe and second (weird and unusual). Two days ago I woke up to what I thought about 8 or 9 spider bites. I thought maybe one got under my sheet or something. Now I noticed one appeared today...during the day. What's going on? I'm just now making a connection and came to the site to see if it is common and I see it is. What do you guys think??? Give me feedback.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » October 24th, 2006, 7:02 pm

I don't think you can get just one hive like that. Or even one in an area. When I've had them, the affected part of my body was COVERED with itchy red bumps.

Either way, the first thing to do is take an antihistamine and maybe put some antihistamine cream (Benadryl makes one) on the affected areas. It'll work for insect bites OR hives.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elizabeth » October 24th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Thanks Robin. I have those things on hand. I've been using the cream today. I have about 12 hives now on both legs all below the mid shin. They're huge like bad mosquito bites. One just appeared today next to some that I thought were the bites...thats why I think they're hives. Like I said, a couple of weeks ago and then the last couple of days...quite a bit....all below the knee...both legs. I've never had this. Just wondering if it is related to MF and not the bites.
Elizabeth

Postby DogMa » October 24th, 2006, 8:02 pm

You've been on the program awhile, so it's possible but not probable. If it's all on your legs, I'd be looking at either the bites or maybe some sort of contact allergy or irritation. New shoes or socks? Slippers? Something like that, maybe. If the Benadryl doesn't clear it up, you should probably get medical attention.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elizabeth » October 25th, 2006, 6:10 am

I contacted my Medifast Health Advisor who has been with Medifast for over twenty years...this is her reply......

What you're describing sounds like a type of skin rash that happens to some people when they're on Medifast. It can show up after being on the plan for several weeks, not necessarily right at the beginning of the program.

The theory is that it's related to the high protein balance of the program. It's not harmful and usually doesn't become a big problem. The rash will show up as small bumps on the skin, sometimes white, almost looking like a bite or a pimple. It's most common on the legs and feet. Sometimes it will itch, sometimes not.

If it's itching, I suggest using some cortisone cream on it for a few days to manage the symptoms. You might also use extra lotion because dry skin seems to contribute to it as well. If itching becomes too bad, you can take benadryl to control it, but that's not usually necessary.

Also, be sure you are drinking a lot of water as that will help dilute your system and decrease the amount of the rash. In almost all cases, the rash disappears after a couple of weeks- it seems that the body simply adjusts to the program and takes care of itself.
Elizabeth

Postby VictoriousNat » October 25th, 2006, 7:55 am

Where (regionally) are you again?
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby alohacate » October 25th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Okay, so have you been playin with Mango's too? I'm sure your doc can help you locate the trigger if you are having an allergic reaction. I feel your pain - one week of hives - intense itching was the WORSE! My doc pulled me off of everything for a week, medifast, meds etc just to be safe. Let us know what happens! ~aloha, cate
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » October 26th, 2006, 10:14 am

Hi there,
I'm not a Dr. so please consider my reply as only an opinion. I've had clients get the rash... but it happened right away.. the first week or two and then went away. They had it on their face and neck. It was related to the increase in protein. One was an Rn and recognized it as a rash.. lots of small red spots and itchy.
You know Eliazbeth, I'd vote for bites for you. I remember once we were gone for about 4 weeks. Our two cats were with a cat sitter. When we came home and went in the house we were devoured by fleas!! Lots and lots of bites from the knees down. That's as high as they could jump.. and were they ever hungry!! :x We had the house bug bombed and the problem went away. I'm having an itchy problem right now too... but it has nothing to do with the "rash" or bug bites... just a problem in the ole system -- anyway I sure can "feel" for you :mrgreen: My Dr tells me humans would rather have pain than itch. That's why we scratch and scratch ourselves raw :( I'm sure we'll both be much better soon. :D :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to What's Shakin'