Awkward situations... What do you do?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Awkward situations... What do you do?

Postby need2succeed-nli » August 19th, 2004, 9:55 am

Hi all,

Today I found myself having to pretend to eat something for the second time. My supervisor brought back candy from Switzerland and I didn't have the heart to turn it down. I put the candy in my mouth and just kind of left it sitting there for like 10 minutes, then I spit it out as soon as I left.

On another occassion, a coworker brought back candy from Iran. I didn't want to be the only person to turn it down. So I peeled off a piece, and hid it in my hand for the entire meeting! Hopefully she didn't catch on, because I'm sure that would do more damage than it would if I had simply said no!

Am I fooling anyone with this? As funny as I'd feel saying "No," I'd feel and look even worse if they caught on to the fact that I'm too cowardly to say no.
need2succeed-nli

Postby LongWay2go » August 19th, 2004, 10:24 am

Candy? How about saying, "No thanks, I'm diabetic". That's a legitimate medical reason not to eat sugar. So what if it's a little white lie.

- Gerald
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Nancy » August 19th, 2004, 10:38 am

Dear Need 2 ~

There are a few things you could do:

Gushingly say, "Oh, thank you so much but I’ll pass for now."

Look 'em right in the eye and say, "Thank you for your offer - it does look so good and how thoughtful of you to think of us and to bring us such a nice treat but I am temporarily on a weight loss program and must say No for now. Tell me about your trip!"

Don't put it in your mouth!

Comment about how thoughtful the person is for thinking of the office folks while on their trip and then put the candy on a napkin or a Kleenex and leave it there during the meeting. Take it with you, destroy it or flush it...don't tempt yourself.

When I reached my goal weight, my husband gave me a beautiful papier mache box of handmade truffles from my fave candy shoppe (Joseph Schmidt) in San Francisco. Since I needed to go thru transition before I had one bite, I just wrapped it in a Zippy bag to keep it fresh and saved it until I was ready for it. Then I would have one truffle every few days...did not gorge myself on them all - which is what I would have done before Medifast!

I think we feel obligated to give reasons for turning down food. There really is NO reason to feel like it is your DUTY to give a reason for saying NO. If you were diabetic and when someone offered you a piece of candy and you said, "Nope. I have diabetes." and passed the box of candy right on to the next person, who would think differently of you? Who would truly care? If anything, the candy person may think to themselves, "Oh, that's too bad. Sheesh! How stupid of me for pressing them to have a piece of candy."

When people offer me something that I don’t want to eat or something that is not good for me to eat, I just say - Oh, thank you but sorry, my health won't permit me to eat that!"

Don't put that candy in your mouth
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Carrie » August 19th, 2004, 11:34 am

Argh-----do we have to talk about candy today? <grin>

At first I was very conscious of what everyone was thinking and doing and saying, etc.

Now, I really couldn't care less what they think of me and my little shake boxes.

There is no reason NOT to politely decline anything offered to you that you don't want. What if you are allergic to nuts and someone offers you peanuts? Or what if you don't like avocados and someone wants you to eat one? Or look at it this way - what if it was a piece of crack cocaine? You'd say no to that wouldn't you?

It really seems to be a pattern that we start out VERY worried about this sort of thing and gradually learn to assert ourselves and our needs. Try not to worry about it, they probably won't really notice or make a big deal out of your declining something.

My 2 cents -
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ria » August 19th, 2004, 11:53 am

CAN WE NOT SAY NUTS ON THIS FORUM :cry: You guys I know what my trigger food IS?!?! Its :twisted: NUTS, any kind of nuts, cashew, almonds, brazil, soy, peanuts, macadamia, you name it. When I start eating nuts I cant stop! For some its chocolate, for me its NUTS! Oh well I guess all I can do is make that a goal..THE DAY WHEN RIA CAN HAVE A PACK OF NUTS AND IT NOT END UP OH HER WAIST..which is BTW now 29 inches. Maybe someday soon I can have some...in the meantime I can always have one of those eatmares...
Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » August 19th, 2004, 12:02 pm

Hah!

Ria, my husband Terry is also N--s for n--s (I didn't want to write it out...).

He cannot stop if they are in the house. One night he ate an entire bag he'd gotten from one of those little bins at the market - had to be over a pound of almonds - he had a HORRIBLE tummy ache and yet, the next time he went to the store, he bought some more...

IF Ii have them, I have 6-8 per day on a salad - almonds are an exellent source of the good kind of fat but ONLY for maintenance...OOOhhh, your waist is wasting away and you are getting curvy and skinny!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss