Auntie Flo & Elliptical Machine

Fitness and Exercise

Auntie Flo & Elliptical Machine

Postby GucciGoo » May 17th, 2006, 4:39 am

Before I started MF, I was doing WW and going to the gym 4-5 times a week, burning 300-375 calories on the elliptical machine. Since starting MF, I go 3 times per week, and only exercise enough to burn 150 calories and then I stop.

I lost 5 pounds the first week. And only a pound so far this week. Do you think this is slowing down my loss? (Aunt Flo is also visiting) but I feel like I am not losing at all this week.

Does Aunt Flo REALLY slow down the loss? Or do you think it is the exercise? I am confused :)

I really want to lose this weight by my cruise on July 15th, so I don't want to do anything to slow myself down.
Last edited by GucciGoo on May 17th, 2006, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Pashta » May 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

Your period makes you retain water, so yes.. it really does slow the weight loss, but it's only temporary. :) Might want to try taking some Midol or Pamprin that says it's for "bloating" cause it may help ease that.

Exercise can also burn too many calories and make your body think it is starving, thus slowing your weight loss. Could be either or both.
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 17th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Yeah,
What Tonia said.

Also,
One way I try to help is having an extra shake on days I'm working out hard (or working hard at work). It's only an extra 90 calories, a little nutrition and might be enough to convince our body that it's not starving, it's getting food as often as it needs to and everything's okay. It's something to consider if the scale is still not budging after Aunt Flo leaves town...

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby GucciGoo » May 18th, 2006, 3:21 am

I guess it's just bad timing- it's only my second week and was expecting to see some more great results.

When I stop losing is the time in a diet when I get bored- because in my head I say "Why am I on on an almost liquid diet if I am not losing anything? I should go eat Italian food!"

*sigh*
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo

Postby Jan » May 19th, 2006, 10:28 am

Hi there,
Be really careful with the exercise. You know the "rule" ...if you have been working out before you began the program cut it by half. If not, wait til week three or even the end of week three. Your body needs time to adjust. We worry that not only will you stall weight loss but you may increase your chances of dehydration (remember all those trips to the potty :mrgreen: ) Plus perhaps even do some muscle damage as your body will be looking somewhere to get a few extra calories. We can burn muscle if we are not careful. Remember you don't have a lot of extra calories to burn. The word from this direction is "take it easy"
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to The Gymnasium