Anyone else experience this .... ?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Anyone else experience this .... ?

Postby Simmshe » September 15th, 2004, 11:08 am

Hey guys!

I have a question for those of you who have been on MF (especially full fast) for two months or more. Did you all experience a resurgence of psychological hunger after day 60 or so? I've heard that some people have this happen--it's like the brain perks up to food again.

I don't know how to explain it, but all of a sudden, food has become stimuli for me again. And I'm not under a lot of stress (which would be a common trigger) and the hunger is not physical--it's strictly psychological.

I'm not having strong urges to eat (although I have had a few moments where I had to use herculean will power--which usually means that I tell myself that my gallbladder might explode if I eat a certain food after having been on this full fast for 8-9 weeks--that's usually an effective deterrent ;)), but my brain has been stimulated by the sight and smell of food again, after having been quite neutral to food for the past four weeks. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this and, if so, how long it took for this phase to pass! I've been reading some of you all's posts who have to prepare meals for your family and am in awe of your resolve. If this were a week ago, I probably would be thinking that, sure, I could bake a cake without licking the batter or icing (kudos to you Dutch!). But now--I feel like I would kill a cake if I had to bake it--or any other food for that matter :eat:!

I'm not in danger of losing control, but I sure would like to be back to my previous frame of mind where the sight and smell of food doesn't induce lingering cravings.

Thanks,

Sheryl :)
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Jeanette » September 15th, 2004, 11:19 am

I remember that happening to me.....luckily it was only temporary!

Hang in there!!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Sylvia » September 15th, 2004, 11:28 am

It happened to me too. It seems like it didn't last too long but I'm sure at the time it seemed like forever. I'm fine now - as a matter of fact, I made brownies for my daughter yesterday. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one - I did, but not desperately and I stopped thinking about them as soon as the wonderful aroma left the house.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Carrie » September 15th, 2004, 11:32 am

Sheryl,

Yes, cravings both physical and 'mental' come and go in cycles.

I have periods on the program where it is blissful! I don't think of food, someone could wave a hot fudge brownie sundae in front of my face and I wouldn't care. Those days are blessings, and I do not take them for granted, I appreciate them while they last.

Then there are days where things are marginal. I do think of food, and wish I could eat some, but it's not overly problematic and a simple 'putting it out of my mind' works.

THEN there are the days when it seems the only thing that can keep me from eating is having my jaw wired shut.

I truly believe that this process is one of cycles. Ebb and flow. And the trick is to learn to surf the wave no matter what set of waves you're into. Grit your teeth, ride this set out and remember that the easy days will come around again.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Nancy » September 15th, 2004, 11:50 am

Oh, yeah! The "Wanna have its" came to me as well.

I was usually satisfied with smelling the desired food - I'd inhale deeply. Think of its texture and taste and then WALK AWAY.

In some ways, it was the texture of the food that I missed. Shakes only can do that to ya, IMHO. Perhaps varying the way you prepare your shakes will give you some satisfaction.

Try them mixed with shilled water in the blender - whip 'em way up until they are airy and creamy.

Try them whipped in the blender with ice so they are REALLY icy like a (pardon moi) :shock: Wendy's Frosty.

Try them mixed with a cup of coffee and gently heated.

Try them mixed with diet soda so they are bubbly and burpy.

Try them mixed with 3-4 ounces of water and stirred, stirred, stirred until smooth like puddin'.

Enhance the flavors with Crystal Light or one of the sugar free syrups.

Just be creative for a while.

Oldness happens and then our mind wanders.

The :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: old enemy of our soul :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: starts buggin' us and wants us to stray but we are RESOLVED to not wander from the path that leads to Thindom.

We are ever-focused and we wander not!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Simmshe » September 15th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Thanks guys--it's nice to know that my experience is not unusual!

I will sure be glad when this passes--my brain has been more food-focused for about six days now, which brings me to my next thought ... I noticed that this change, as it has happened before, seems to coincide with my losing phase. I started losing weight (or fat, is more like it), about six-seven days ago, dropping 10lbs over the past week, after about a 17-day hold. I bet this is where the brain kicks in with it's survival instinct--telling us to
EAT because we are losing our "precious" fat. Obviously, our bodies don't take kindly to losing fat--and losing it quickly. We are biologically wired to store fat, so naturally--that part of our brains that don't realize that we have stored a bit too much fat--is desperate to hang on to it. Hmmmmmm, I'm curious now to see what will happen during my next weight loss phase (although I think I still have another week or so of losing for this phase) to see if I notice the brain going ga ga over food again :scratchhead:.

Nancy, the smelling of delicious food, or even watching it be prepared, is usually satisfying for me, because up until the past few days--I had zero cravings and little interest in food/eating. This latest phase is different though--my brain is screaming :x
EAAAATTTTT!!! And now, the more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that these are biological cravings ... whew :dooh:! Whatever the cause, I know this phase will pass and in the meantime I just have to turn on the resolve a bit more until my brain chills out on the addict-like cravings/urges! The cravings feel like day 1 all over again, minus the hunger. You know how on days 1-3, just smell of a delicious food is enough to just about sent you into convulsions?? Yeah, that's what it's been like :nutz:. So trust me--I won't be going anywhere near a delicious food, let alone inhaling it, until my brain relaxes!

Anyways, thanks guys :)!!

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby elle4nelly » September 15th, 2004, 2:03 pm

Hi Sheryl! :D

It will pass. I went through the same thing as well. I am not as strong as you though. The craving got louder and louder till I loss control. And on and off Medifast I went. This time I am better prepared for the next episode.
It rough, I tell ya!

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 15th, 2004, 4:31 pm

Sheryl,

Happened to me too. I REALLY craved food for about a week or so in my third month. Get a grip when those thoughts occur - hang on to that shaker jar and water bottle! :weightlift:

Quoting George Harrison "All things must pass", and you'll make it through "With a little help from my friends"...
Ok, I'm getting obnoxious, I'll stop.
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Return to The Weight Room