Any ZUCCHINI ideas? I have TONS of it!

Add your favorite recipes.

Any ZUCCHINI ideas? I have TONS of it!

Postby Mommy2girls » July 25th, 2005, 9:04 pm

Well, it started last year with my then 3.5 year old daughter insisting on having a garden. That was great, except it was late July. So we did a small herb "container" garden and called it good. This year, however, we did the real thing starting on Mother's Day and the zucchini is taking off like wild horses.

So if any of you have MF legal ways to use zuchini, let me know. Off the top of my head, these are some of the ways we use it:

Raw chopped in a salad
Grilled on the BBQ
Sauteed with a small amt of olive oil

Also does anyone know if I can shred and/or freeze or just freeze zucchini?

Thanks
Sheila
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby martha » July 26th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Shelia--

Yes you can freeze it.. I wash them,then cut them up, then bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt in it to a boil.. drop some squash into it and when it returns to a boil count for about 3 minutes..then put it into a sink of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. then strain in a colander and pack into freezer bags.. then you can enjoy it all year long..you can mix this with yellow squash if you like... Then when ready to use--I would spray the pan(use to use oil) put in a few onions(bell peppers and celery if you like--it's how I do my yellow) and then put in the frozen squash.. a tad of water(as it will make its own from thawing) and salt and pepper, a hint of basil (optional) bring to a boil and turn on low and let it cook -ckecking to turn over every now and then.. until done..
Now being from Louisiana --I take my yellow or white squash and do it the same way and right before it is done add peepled and devined shrimp to the pan.. mix well and let cook till the shrimp are done.. not to long as they will toughen up.. This is squash and shrimp and very popular at my house.. I do use the basil in this one as well as onions,celery and bell pepper.. hope you enjoy..Martha

At the seafood rest. we went to the other night --they sliced it thin like chips with yellow squash and a tad of onions and sauteed (sp) it without any butter just spray they said-- it was soo good.. instead of the circles they made 1/2 circles and season to taste.. GREAT!! I also put mine on the grill(cut them in 1/2-- long ways) season them and keep turning them till they are soft.. then I bring them in the house and slice them in half circles and put in sprayed skillet with the onions and smothered them down-- with a lid on low--they get that great charboiled taste-- of course I do the same with the yellow and zucchini mixed....
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Zuchinni recipe

Postby Gwenski » July 26th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Here's one for you............

dice 1/2 and onion
dice a whole tomato
get about 5 to 6 zuchinni's and slice

spray a pan with PAM and throw in the onions
sweat them for a little - not brown them
when the are nice and juicy
add the tomato and mix together until the juices heat and combine
throw in the zuchinni, cover, stir occasionally and after a while all the juices combine, the squash cooks down to however you like it an voila - nice and super tasty.

Hope that works for you - you can make a big batch and portion it out and heat and serve for the rest of the week..............

Enjoy! :-P
Gwenski

Postby martha » July 26th, 2005, 8:46 pm

GWENSKI---

DON't know about her but it works for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks- I can't wait to try it..-Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mommy2girls » July 27th, 2005, 6:37 am

Martha and Gwenski, THANK YOU both so much! Martha, I will try to freeze some, that sounds like it should work. I might try to shred some and freeze it for soups and stuff later. I also have a dehydrator, hummmm, maybe I'll try a batch in that and see if it works...lol!

I added some shredded to my homemade meatballs last night. Yum! I used extra lean beef (1 lb), one egg, a package of crumbled MF crackers, spices and shredded zucchini, my kids didn't even KNOW they were eating healthy meatballs!

Gwenski, your recipe reminded me of another one that I though of using the same ingredients you listed only putting them in a cassarole dish to be oven browned. I'll have to search around and see if I can dig that recipe out of my box. Thanks!
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Zukes!!!

Postby Cheddar_Cat » September 30th, 2005, 6:32 pm

Hia All - LOVE this Forum!!

This is how I've been making them for years, and don't know if this is legal on weight loss but here goes:

I shred two cucumber sized ones, add 1 egg and about 1/4 cup of soy flour, dash salt, and pepper. (You'll have to punt with the soy flour, and how much moisture is in the zucchini's... you don't want this watery.)

Take large spoonfuls, and fry in flat pan like pancakes, and serve with a dash of nutmeg, and 0 fat yoghurt (I guess if you're on maintenance, not sure if yoghurt is OK on weight loss!??)... NUM!!!!

CC
Cheddar_Cat

Postby Toxsiq » September 30th, 2005, 7:18 pm

My absolute favorite way to eat zucchini is to cut them in half and score them, marinate in fat free low cal italian dressing, then grill it. YUM and super guilt free. :)
319/314/145

"The control of our being is not unlike the combination to a safe, each advance and retreat is a step toward ones final goal." -Bruce Lee
Toxsiq

Return to Lean Cuisine