Also Being Accountable

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Also Being Accountable

Postby Bling Bling » May 7th, 2006, 9:25 am

I, too, had a bad week. I observed my behavior and could definitely see that my response to depression, which I battle, is food. I have lived with this most of my adult life and obvious as it sounds... the depression problem existing just about as long as I've lived with a weight problem...only became obvious to me today! Duh!! :dooh: I do take medication, but I still have some difficult periods of time. This problem runs in our family and is a chemical imbalance that all three of my sisters suffer from in one degree or another. Depression equals Food equals a type of numbing medication for me. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'll focus on finding other coping mechanisms this week as a goal. I'm resolved to continue Medifast's Lean and Green Program.

If there is anyone else out there like me, I'd love to hear how you have battled this "monster" :twisted: and not let depression defeat your goal of being healthy.

P.S. I'm one of those people who you would NEVER guess is depressed. I smile :angel: and am cheerful to everyone but totally exhausted :snooze: when I get home from work from putting on that "face." Can you relate?
Start Date: April 26, 2006

Bling Bling
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby MomJackieLee » May 7th, 2006, 10:00 am

Yes, bling, I know exactly what you mean. I am a counselor and work with people with depression and have depression myself. I have been on medication for many years due to PCOS horomone imbalance and serotonin imbalance and will probably need medication for the rest of my life. I have done the same as you in the past by putting on the happy face for others. However, working in the field of psychology, I feel more comfortable with myself now than I did before I changed careers 5 yrs ago. I feel more like I can be ME and accepted just as I am as a counselor. As a corporate financial analyst, I always had to be putting on a "professional face" plus I was under constant debilitating stress.

I do spend time doing daily yoga and meditation and this has lessened my depression quite a bit. I find going within keeps me from looking to food for comfort. If you have any ?? feel free to PM me.
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 7th, 2006, 11:00 am

I have sturggled with depression due to a chemical imbalance for years. I spent years putting on "the happy face" till I could do it no longer and then I stopped going out and stopped being around people. Depression is horrible! I feel you pain, you can do this and I have found that between the medication and losing this weight I feel much better about myself!

Hang in there

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby TooManyBooks » May 7th, 2006, 11:47 am

Information that I received from Medifast indicated that anyone suffering from depression should not be on a weight loss program. Has that guideline changed?
TooManyBooks
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby BoPeep1 » May 7th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I started MF after my medication kicked in, I was depressed, but it was related to other disorders.

I am a huge emotional eater, and I realized it about 10 years ago, and still never did anything about it. I'm reading Fattitudes now to help re-learn about food. The next book in my pile is Reprogramming the Overweight Mind.

I feel blessed to have found MF so I can control those emotional urges, I can recognize it right away now and can stop it in its tracks.

Don't beat yourself up, it will only start the cycle again, but use the time to establish a new relationship with food.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 7th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Medifast is not recommended for people who have had:

Medifast wrote:Severe psychiatric disturbance (history of major depression and suicide attempts)

Depression medications may be continued:

Medifast wrote:Most medications for chronic conditions such as depression, thyroid or hormone deficiency, etc. may be continued while you are on Medifast.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby TooManyBooks » May 7th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Thank you for the detailed clarification! The original information I received from them directly spoke otherwise. Appreciate the info. :)
TooManyBooks
Trusted Member - #20 Club

THANK YOU!

Postby Bling Bling » May 7th, 2006, 7:31 pm

TO: Momjackielee, falisamarie, TooManyBooks, BoPeep1, Unca and Vicky....

I can't thank you enough for your kind words of encouragement and support. Each of you had something important for me to listen to and take to heart. Just a note to say that I am under a Dr.'s care, so no reason for concern there. I know that he will be delighted when I go for my next check-up and am at a reduced weight. I'll give the kudos to MF and the support I've received from this forum ... particularly ya'all!

You've been a blessing to me today. I pray each one of you receive this blessing back one hundred fold.

Karen
Start Date: April 26, 2006

Bling Bling
Newbie - #10 Club

Return to The Weight Room