airplane ride

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

airplane ride

Postby lauradr » August 17th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Hi, I just wanted to know if any one has took a airplane ride since all of the changes I have to in a few weeks and not sure how to medifast on the plane .
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby supermom » August 17th, 2006, 8:34 pm

My husband was actually in California the day that all happened. He was at the airport and in line to get his boarding pass to fly home. Needless to say, it was the next day before he got here. If I were you, I would just pack your stuff in your suitcase. I would not try to check it. My luck, they would make me throw it away. John said people were throwing away all kinds of stuff that day. But, like I said, it was the DAY it all happened. How long is your flight? Could you maybe have a RTD while you are waiting to board and then have something as soon as you claim your bag? Or, I know they let people carry on anything that is medically necessary. If it is a long flight, maybe your doctor would write you a prescription stating the necessity of carrying your own food onto the plane?? Not really sure what to tell you. It might be really tough, and then again, it might not be. DeDe, I bet, has flown. Maybe you could shoot her a pm??
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » August 17th, 2006, 10:55 pm

No liquids on carry-on's was the only dif I had coming from Canada.

I'd be there at least 3 hours early. The terminal looks more like a Motel than an airport. LOTS of delay's and re-bookings. I got rebooked 3 different times on 3 different carriers.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby GucciGoo » August 18th, 2006, 4:39 am

Can you bring the powder and the shaker jar, and then ask for a small bottle of water on the plane? I wonder if they can still serve drinks on board??
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Sarya » August 18th, 2006, 5:00 am

I'm not flying til October, but I had considered asking my doctor to write out a prescription for the supplements so that I could show them that. And then I was still only going to carry the powder packets and get water on the plane or when I was in the terminal to drink before. I'm sure they're still serving drinks on the planes. At a minimum they'll have to have drinking water.

Just to be safe I emailed TSA to ask if we can bring powdered drink packets. I wonder if they'll mail back.
Sarya

Postby Serendipity » August 18th, 2006, 5:34 am

I think it would be hard to fly without RTD's. I suppose I could take the packets, but that would be a pain. The last time I flew and it wasn't that far, it was over 6 hours from security to baggage claim.

I would get a doctor's excuse and call the airline ahead of time just to make sure, but I heard that they were letting mommies take baby formula....no difference IMHO.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Sarya » August 18th, 2006, 5:50 am

As of right now you can't bring RTDs past security. They fall under the heading of "beverage" and they aren't for a young child who is traveling which is the only exception on formula.

I emailed them and asked about the powdered packets since the liquid rtd was so clearly a no-no. The other thing I asked was if you had a doctor's note. I don't know when/if they'll respond since the automated response basically said they're getting too many inquiries to answer them all.
Sarya

Postby ascicles » August 18th, 2006, 9:25 am

I just drink a shake before I fly, eat a bar on the plane, and drink a shake when I get off. Unless the flight is longer than six hours, you should be fine. Even if it takes eight hours, going a little longer than usual isn't going to kill you for one meal.

If it's longer than that, you would almost surely have a meal, which could be your lean and green.
Last edited by ascicles on August 18th, 2006, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Sarya » August 18th, 2006, 9:28 am

The TSA website doesn't say anything about not being able to bring powdered substances through the checkpoint. It also doesn't say anything about "hard" foods, just liquid, gel, and goopy foods. It specifically says no jello, no pudding, no yogurt, no beverages. So a bar would probably be fine. And I still think the powdered packets would be fine, but they haven't emailed me back.
Sarya

Postby DogMa » August 18th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Powdered stuff is fine. Liquids like RTDs are not. Baby formula and breast milk may not seem different to you, but they are different to the TSA because they're allowed.

I would definitely not try to carry on anything like an RTD, because they'll just take it away from you.

I'm flying on Wednesday, and I'll be carrying soy crisps and bars (granted, not the Medifast kind, but that's because I'm in transition/maintenance). I'll buy water in the terminal to drink before my flight, and get more on the plane from the flight attendants. And probably buy a bottle as soon as I land to drink while I wait for my checked bag (because now that you can't carry on shampoo and such, I'll need to check a bag).

You can also bring the shake packet, buy water in the terminal, and shake it up and drink it before you get on the plane. But you can't buy water in the terminal and bring it onto the plane with you. And most of the airlines are saying they will be stocking extra drinks and water on the planes.

And of course, no snakes on the plane!!!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bdg » August 19th, 2006, 7:15 am

DogMa wrote:You can also bring the shake packet, buy water in the terminal, and shake it up and drink it before you get on the plane. But you can't buy water in the terminal and bring it onto the plane with you. And most of the airlines are saying they will be stocking extra drinks and water on the planes.
This is what I did when I flew at the end of June. The flight attendant filled my shaker to the point I told her and no problems at all!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Sarya » August 19th, 2006, 7:31 am

TSA responded and the powdered packets should be fine as is other food that is properly packaged. So it's not ideal but bring your packets and shaker jar then get water from the attendant.
Sarya

Postby Drama Queen » August 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm

I flew last weekend right after the rules went into place. I carried a small backpack onto the plane with MF Drink and Shake packets, MF Bars, MF Soy Crisps, Crystal Light to Go Packets and a small funnel to help pour the packets into bottled Water. I had no problems at all with Security and had plenty of MF Food for my flight.
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to What's Shakin'