Yet another...newbie!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Yet another...newbie!

Postby LongWay2go » August 8th, 2004, 9:03 am

Hi all,

Time to introduce myself!

I'm new to this program. I've been fat all my adult life. I'm sick of it...and because of it!

I did the OptiFast program almost exactly 2 years ago through a local hospital - local as in, one hour away. Had to attend the weekly support meetings to buy the shakes. I found myself losing motivation after a few months largely because every meeting was a 4 hour commitment for me. An hour to drive there, had to arrive early for a weigh-in and to buy product, an hour for the meeting, then every other week stick around for up to 30 minutes to see the doctor and an hour drive home! I just couldn't hack that kind of time commitment after 3 months, but did manage to lose 80 pounds! :shock:

When I left the program I managed to lose another 10 using the eating skills I had learned and SlimFast shakes. But ever so slowly I found myself falling back into bad eating habits and yo-yo'd a bit in my weight, but now after just over a year-and-a-half after leaving, I find that I've managed to put back on 40 of those hard-fought lost pounds. :x

Considering that my doctor has been telling me for several years that I won't make age 50 if I don't do something about my weight, and a fall last December 19 that almost totally disabled me, it's time for a change - and not a temporary-until-I-lose-weight change, a LIFE CHANGE!!!

I started looking for a way to "do" a program over the internet a few weeks back and found MediFast and this discussion board. I lurked silently, reading posts to see if this program could replicate my success with the OptiFast shakes, and believe now it can.

I started writing to Mike (explorthis) and as expected, he gave me that kick in the butt I needed to get me motivated. (Thanks Mike!) :D

So I started the program on Friday, Aug. 8 (two days ago) and have been dealing with problems I knew would come from my previous experience with OptiFast. I'm starving...but this will pass...and now I know I won't die from the starvation (a fear implanted deep in my brain and one of the reasons I belive contributed to my fatness in the first place).

One of my rules is to only weigh once a week, wearing the same amount of clothing and at the same time of day (when I first get up). But I did cheat this morning (start of day 3) because I needed a little boost of encouragement after 2 days of not eating solid food. I lost 3.5 pounds the first two days! :shock:

Anyway, I don't want this post to get too long, but all you other newbies or lurkers pay attention - WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!

I'm planning to post regularly and welcome any responses, positive or negative. I have a long, long way to go. I started at 472 pounds and have no plan to stop and excuses are not tolerated!

Here's my daily meal plan, and yes, I am seeing my physician regularly to monitor my health and progress. Don't try this without doctor supervision!

6 MediFast shakes per day = 600 calories
2 bouillon cubes per day = 10 calories
8 cups of coffee in the mornings with fat free half & half and equal = 80 calories
Fruit2O flavored water (as much as I want) = 0 calories
Water (as much as I want) = 0 calories

My suggestion to newbies based on my previous OptiFast experience and the recommendations of my doctor and these terrific folks at "Take Shape for Life" are:

DRINK YOUR WATER EVERY DAY

KEEP A DAILY DIARY - I find great motivation when I read back on "the early days" of my OptiFast program (yes, I saved that diary!). When you don't think you can suffer another day, read back to the first few days and you'll suddenly realize just how much BETTER you already are! It's great, great motivation!

FIND A "DIET BUDDY" - Make them someone who will be understanding but tough! Sometimes you NEED a kick in the butt!

Best wishes for all our success!

-Gerald
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Simmshe » August 8th, 2004, 10:08 am

Welcome Gerald--glad to have you here :D!

It sounds like you certainly have everything that it will take for you to go all of the way this time. And talk about inconvenience--I probably wouldn't have lasted a month with the time commitment you had to make while on the Optifast program.

I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum and sharing experiences with you. With your wealth of experience and knowledge I'm sure you will be a great contributor to the forum.

Wishing you a successful first week, and beyond :)! You're right, we will do this together everyone :stroll:!

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby LongWay2go » August 8th, 2004, 11:12 am

Thanks Sheryl!

Yes, I will be a regular poster and I really am looking forward to the experience. I appreciate your support so much! Thanks!

All of us who have done this before or are doing it now know what kind of commitment it takes - and the tricks your brain and body can play on you. It really helps to have a plan and stick to it, and I know I can't do that without support so why should I expect any one else to?

I'm available for support to anyone who needs it!

- Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby explorthis » August 9th, 2004, 6:51 am

I'm planning to post regularly and welcome any responses, positive or negative. I have a long, long way to go

Well, Gerald… WELCOME to you! Yes, Gerald and I have been going back and forth via email for a about 2 weeks. I am glad he has joined us. I don’t, know about a “kick in the butt”?? I am not a butt kicker, am I? Do I come across as a butt kicker? Did someone call Guido?

Gerald, as for the responses, positive or negative, this is a 100% support group. We occasionally get into a heated discussion, or five, but all in all, it is a GREAT free support group. As for having a long way to go, I think most of us are not going anywhere, so pull up a chair, and a keyboard and post away…… We ain’t going anywhere.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby LongWay2go » August 9th, 2004, 7:14 am

Thanks Mike! You definitely have the potential of being nick-named Guido, but maybe a better description would be passionate tough-love! This program has worked for you and I know it will work for me as well. Since I plan to lose (at least) 250 pounds, I'll be around for a good while and hope to stay on board even after success is achieved to help others, as you have done.

Gerald
LongWay2go

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » August 9th, 2004, 7:23 pm

Welcome Gerald! :wave:

Mercy, this MF experience is going to be a BREEZE :-P compared to what you had to go through with the Optifast! And with this forum, we can have support meetings whenever we want them! :exercise:

Looking ahead on the threshold of a weight loss 'journey' is daunting. I keep reminding myself how quickly time passes. Heavens, Christmas will be here practically in two weeks! Seems like 5 years ago was 5 minutes ago! Time marches on no matter what, and it's always too quickly for me! However, doing something THIS POSITIVE and THIS GOOD for yourself during that time is the BEST YOU CAN DO no matter how long it takes as you well know. And, we won't regret it like we do when we don't do anything and look back saying "Should have, could have, would have..."

We're all in the same struggle, just larger and smaller sized. I'm happy you're here, and look forward to your posts!

Happy shakin! :toast:
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby LongWay2go » August 10th, 2004, 6:13 am

Thanks Camille!

Starting day 5 today, and yesterday went much, much easier than I thought it would this soon. I remember "starving" for the first two weeks on OptiFast, but I had very little hunger yesterday at all.

I did a modified plan with OptiFast, but I want faster results this time so I'm doing the full fast with 6 shakes a day. I'm looking forward to my first week weigh-in this coming Friday. I'm very excited at this point!

Regards,
Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby DutchChoc » August 10th, 2004, 6:36 pm

Yeah, Gerald!! :coach: I think you're past the tough part and should find the next stretch manageable. It's a narrow road, so keep your eyes on the prize(s)!!
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby LongWay2go » August 10th, 2004, 6:41 pm

Thanks DC! I see you're new here too, so that's awesome, another buddy to live, laugh, cry and learn with! Welcome to you and keep posting!

- Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby DutchChoc » August 10th, 2004, 6:49 pm

Thanks! We can both do what we can do to stoke the "motivation fire" and hopefully everyone here, including us, will be better off. At times like these, it's good to have empathy and friendship to pass the days. You're doing great.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby LongWay2go » August 11th, 2004, 4:14 am

You're doing awesome too, DC! Fantastic results I see in your sig, keep up the good work! :cleader:

- Gerald
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Return to Come on in.