Why inches and not pounds???

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Why inches and not pounds???

Postby Allison Onederland » April 23rd, 2006, 9:09 am

Ok, this plateau has turned into a huge flat desert! I have lost 35 lbs. since I started in mid January. I really expected to be much farther along by now but my plateaus have been frequent and looooong! I know my clothes are getting bigger, the pants I bought the first week of April had to be taken in at the waist a week later and now they are in need of more alterations. I just don't understand how my clothes can be getting baggier but the numbers on the scale are staying the same!!! :x 190...190...190...if I see that number one more time I think I'll stomp that blasted scale so hard it's gonna pop up somewhere in China!!

I read all the posts here about plateaus and I have tried following everyone's advice. I've cut out the bars, no more Davinci SF in my coffee/tea, upped the water intake, changed up my MF routine by drinking more shakes-less chili/soup, less salad and more veggies, less veggies and more salad :huh: ....all to no avail! Yes, it's nice that the clothes are getting baggy but....I wanna see some smaller numbers when I get on that scale!!! :roll:

For what it's worth, I take diuretics every day and that TOM is a thing of the past thanks to a total hysterectomy so those two aren't the culprits. Exercise is very minimal due to several health problems but as soon as hubby takes the cover off the pool I'll start doing water exercise. I'm really hoping that will make a difference!!

Has anyone else had a really long stall? I think I've only lost 5 lbs. in the last 6 weeks. :sadblue: I'm not thinking of giving up...not even tempted to give up!! But I am getting really disgusted, not to mention anxious about reaching my goal (or at least close!) by vacation time the first of August.

Oh...and it isn't the scale's fault. We have two and they are in agreement that I am still 40 lbs. from my goal. :(
Allison Onederland
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby supermom » April 23rd, 2006, 9:35 am

For what it is worth, muscle weighs more than fat. It is more dense. You may be losing inches because you are losing fat. You may not be showing the fat loss on the scale because you with the help of the soy and the protein from the L&G are building better lean muscle mass. If your inches are dropping, you are achieving a loss of some sort. My brother's girlfriend is about 5'6". She wears a size 5-7. She is beautiful. She is a pageant winner type girl. She weighs 145#. She is solid muscle. Haven't you ever seen a fat thin person?? You know---a thin person who jiggles when they walk and has more dents in her thighs than a used car lot has after a huge hail storm?? That is because that person is not feeding their body healthy nutrients. You are diferent. You are feeding your body the fuel it needs to get through the day. Then, your body is using the stored fuel (fat) as added energy. Thus, building up and strengthening your lean muscle. Don't worry so much about what the scale says. After all, it really is just a number. Worry about your cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Worry about the way you feel. Look at how much better you look in your clothes. Look at how much stuff doesn't jiggle any longer. See your results. They are there. You are succeeding. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mamabear » April 23rd, 2006, 11:25 am

not only does muscle weigh more but it takes up 2/3 the space of fat-causing the lost inches. :mrgreen:
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nicole81 » April 23rd, 2006, 2:45 pm

Just something you might want to look into...I also read somewhere that some diuretics can actually slow weight loss. Not sure if it's true or not I just know I did read it somewhere.
-NICOLE
243 highest weight in 10/05
238 BEFORE MEDIFAST 1/06
STARTED MF 3/6/06 @ 230
230/190/130

Going to restart soon. Now 229 had my baby boy 7/14/07. Ready to get Shakin'
Nicole81
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby ktrout » April 23rd, 2006, 3:15 pm

I agree with all of this. I've been losing inches a whole lot faster than losing the pounds. Now having said that, I am overjoyed by my weight loss this far. I am even happier about the loss of almost 10 inches off my waist and 8 inches off my chest. I even had a woman at work go way over the line and tell me that my butt was looking pretty good. I promised not to tell HR LOL ! But seriously, I've noticed that my thighs have much better definition and my forarms and shoulders have gotten much thinner as well. The weigh will come off soon enough but your body needs to adjust to the dramatic changes that you've made for the better in your lifestyle.
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby FluffyNoMore » April 23rd, 2006, 4:55 pm

I'm also one of those who's losing inches quickly even though the scales not moving too fast. :) I've lost over 6 inches in my hips already, 5 inches in my waist, and 4 inches on my thighs(that just blows me away) My rings need to be resized too. As long as I'm shrinking, I don't care really what the scale says. I know for a fact I am smaller now than I was the last time I weighed 195ish. So I'm happy.
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby lise » April 23rd, 2006, 5:02 pm

I'm the opposite! I lose weight and not inches! I'd kill to lose a lot more inches!!
lise
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » April 23rd, 2006, 5:11 pm

5 pounds in 6 weeks is pretty normal for me, actually. I don't consider it a stall unless you've lost absolutely nothing in at least a couple of weeks.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby FORMOMMY » April 23rd, 2006, 5:15 pm

I agree about the inches really showing the weight loss and not necessarily the scale. I was talking with my hubby about this just last night. We were talking about how much smaller I seem at the weight I am at than the lowest I got when I was doing WW for a year. I got down to 202 and I was in size 18's and a couple of 16's. I am at 232 right now and I am in 20's and they are getting a little big for me already. That amazes me!!!

My hubby said that he "feels" the difference in me. He said I am losing weight in areas that I didn't before...that my arms and legs and stomach are getting more defined and smaller faster than they ever did before when I lost weight. You know what....he is right! I remember that I was around this weight when we got married 12 years ago and I was wearing 22's then....how can that be?????

Well, I don't care why it is - I am just glad that IT IS!!! I wish I had measured before I started all this. But I can tell the difference in clothes and that is the best. Yes, I want to see the smaller number and yes if I don't lose I get sad; but as long as I keep going down in sizes and people keep telling me that I look great and they can't believe how small I am getting - that is all I need.

Hang in there!
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Allison Onederland » April 23rd, 2006, 9:00 pm

DogMa wrote:5 pounds in 6 weeks is pretty normal for me, actually. I don't consider it a stall unless you've lost absolutely nothing in at least a couple of weeks.

I had to go back and read my old posts to see when I first hit this plateau. It's been well over two weeks! :shock: :cry:

However, on the up side, I am definitely losing the inches. I didn't think to measure before I started MF but judging by my clothes, I've lost quite a few inches! I bought a shirt the first of this month (on sale) that was way too small (but cute and cheap!) and it fits now....even though I weigh the same. :? And, like the formerly fluffy one, my rings are so big I can't wear them anymore. Even my wedding band is way too big and I was 40 lbs lighter when I got married! Hmmm, ok, you have all convinced me that losing inches is a good thing so I'll put off stomping the scale to China and be more patient. :lol:

Supermom, there is definitely LOTS of stuff jiggling here! :lol: I guess its 'cause the stuff aint packed in as much as it used to be. :oops: I'm glad you mentioned triglycerides and cholesterol!! I'm way past due for my cardiology check-up! I have been putting it off hoping that I could go in and impress the heck out of my cardiologist with my fantastic lab values so he won't give me a lecture for going off my Tricor. :roll: It made my fibromyalgia unbearable! Has anyone else had a huge turnaround in their triglycerides and cholesterol after being on MF? And how long were you on MF before seeing a difference in lab values?

Nicole, I will be checking into the business with the diuretics!! Unfortunately, not taking them is NOT an option for me! They are the only thing keeping me from having severe frequent episodes of vertigo associated with Meniere's syndrome. :(

Thanks everyone! I was beginning to think I was the only person losing inches but not pounds. Thank you all for taking the time to reassure me! :bighug:
Allison Onederland

Postby ktrout » April 24th, 2006, 4:09 am

I had a full physical in March after 3 months on MF and my cholesterol has dropped from 203 to 171. My blood pressure dropped 10pts a side, making my doctor pretty happy. It wasn't high or even borderline but I'll take a drop anytime.
Last edited by ktrout on April 24th, 2006, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2006, 5:55 am

I went through the same thing with long plateaus and slow weightloss. I, too, had a hysterectomy.

It may be that your hormones (or lack of) have something to do with it. HRT can do a lot to mess with your weight if you're using that.

The good news is...you're LOSING! I know it's tough and discouraging when you see others lose so much more, so much quicker...but take pride and joy that you ARE losing. Also, I found the soy did so much for me--I was able to drop HRT altogether.

So...keep your chin up and keep at it. It sounds like you're doing great!

Postby Nancy » April 24th, 2006, 6:41 pm

MakeMeThinner Forum Friends ~

I am so thankful to everyone who filled Allison's emotional tank! You are the best!

Allison ~

You are a total puzzlement to me.

I wish that I had a fancy schmancy response for you. My first thought was maybe your scale was wonky - like a crazed battery or wire but you settled that issue by checking your weight on another scale.

Our body is a marvelous machine and as it burns up the stored fuel and releases weight, it needs a few rest periods to rebalance itself and to prepare for more weight loss.

When plateaus do happen and they certainly bug the puckies outta us when they hit; we just need to know that they are temporary. Weight loss will happen.

It is helpful for people to keep a meal plan and weight journal so we can track weight progress in relationship to meal times and meal products. It also helps us to determine what our own personal weight loss pattern is - some people will lose weight at a fairly consistent daily clip, others will notice their scale stays the same for 6-9 days and then they release 4 or 5 pounds. Hormones, stress, lack of sleep or changes in sleep patterns can all have an effect on our weight loss experience.

We just moved from standard to daylight savings time this month, spring break and holiday gatherings can affect our activity and sleep schedule and together this can have an influence on our weight loss.

You wondered about cholesterol levels – mine dropped 110 points; a woman I spoke with this month has dropped 35 points in three weeks – her husband is a physician and he ran her labs. That’s pretty good!

Keep on going, it’s working and it’s worth it!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Allison Onederland » April 26th, 2006, 8:43 am

Nancy,
Just found your post today. The last couple of days have been pretty busy! Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. From reading posts on here my brain tells me that everyone loses differently. Some at a "fairly consistent daily clip" as you said. And yes, it "bugs the puckies" (puckies? LOL :mrgreen: ) outta me that I'm not one of those! While people like Lisa are an inspiration to me, it also makes me sit back and wonder what I'm doing wrong that I'm not losing like she is. :huh: I keep telling myself not to get worried, at least I have lost this much. However, there seems to be this little :twisted: in my head saying "everyone is losing but you....you're gonna be 190 pounds the rest of your life!!"

Well, just when utter despair was about to set in, you folks came to my rescue! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart! :heart: :bighug: :heart:

You wondered about cholesterol levels – mine dropped 110 points

Wooooowwww!!! :whattha: Now that is AMAZING!!! If mine does that I think me and my cardiologist will be dancin' a jig together! :yay:

Oh, and by the way, I dropped 2 pounds today!! :yes:
Allison Onederland

Postby Nova » April 26th, 2006, 10:12 am

Hey Allison,

You were wondering about cholesterol levels. I had my bloodwork done a couple weeks into starting medifast. My cholesterol dropped 50 points from when I had it checked last August. :)
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Return to The Weight Room