where are my fellow returnees?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

where are my fellow returnees?

Postby LAwoman » January 22nd, 2006, 10:55 am

I've been wondering where some of my fellow MF returnees are?

I noticed this past month that many people have returned to MF to either reach their goal and/or take off a few returned pounds. As I'm in a similar situation, I'd love to read your success and how it's going for you.

It did take me a couple of restarts to get back here, but I'm here to reach goal this time. As you can see on my signature, I lost 60 lbs. last spring and then spent the fall and winter putting 40 of it back on. Now I'm here to get rid of 80 lbs for good.

I see Christie in Texas is back with very little gain, and so close to goal. Great for you. I haven't seen any posts in a while from 24K, Explorethis, Berkshiregirl, and a few others.

How are you all doing?

We are all going to look so good this summer. Let's get to it!!!
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby 24KaratGold » January 22nd, 2006, 11:18 am

I'm around. Life doesn't let me post quite as much right now as it did last year, but I have made a handful of posts this last week.

I do find I'm having trouble staying completely compliant with the plan, and that annoys me. I think the problem is that I'm hanging out around 185, and while 185 isn't where I'd really like to end up, I admit I'm pretty happy with it. I spent thirty years of my life at 200 -- most of that well over 200, and at size 22W or 24W. Now I'm at size 14. I look good, feel good, move well. I am afraid that I don't have quite the same motivation that I had when I was shooting to get under 200 pounds. I need something to jumpstart me back on program comnpletely to make it to 160. Maybe I'll go buy some killer outfit in size 12.

The scale's messing with my head a bit again, too, so I have to put it away for a bit. It was 185 yesterday, and this morning it was 187. I ran around a lot yesterday, and didn't have all my water, and for breakfast instead of my MF oatmeal I ate two eggs, then I had my lean and green at dinner. That shouldn't have sent the scale up 2 pounds, though, and I expect that's just one of those normal artifacts that happen.

Good to see you around, though. We should have a SoCal MF party. Nancy was supposed to get down here last year, remember? And then she ended up having a grandbaby and thinking that was more important than US! How could she?? ;)
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Re: where are my fellow returnees?

Postby BerkshireGrl » January 22nd, 2006, 12:14 pm

Heya! I am here too... though I was out for a few weeks doing my own thing. Which, if you can judge from my signature, was NOT working :lol:

I've been struggling to try to get my mind into the MF groove and I think I am now back. My problem is that I have painted MF before as Deprivation, like "Ugh, not another shake!" and feeling sorry for myself that I can't eat like a normal person.

Well, as I get heavier and heavier eating with zero restrictions, I am not happy! :(

Sure, it's nice to be able to tell myself, if I let myself eat all my forbidden foods, soon my intake will normalize 'naturally' (aka "Intuitive Eating").

It's been 2 weeks and I did well on week 1, lost 3 pounds... but on week 2, I careened off into bingeing wackiness, and it was not a pretty sight. Now I'm up 6 pounds!

I've been eating full-fat foods in the hope I would be filled up faster: whole milk, yogurt, butter... breakfasts of sausage, egg & cheese croissant sandwiches from Dunkin' Donuts, with a latte. (Did you know ONE of those sandwiches has 690 calories and 51 grams of fat!? Yikes! I just found that out!)

I have very little energy... my hips and knees ache... I am winded walking up 1 flight of stairs... I am getting mystery bruises from not enough vitamins... YUCK! I feel bad, I look bad.

LAwoman, you have the right idea! I'm GETTING ON BOARD!

* I am going to a friend's wedding in the end of May, and I do not want to be buying a size 20-22 dress for it. I want to be able to dance without wheezing!

* I'd like to be at goal by my 35th birthday on July 31st.

* I do not want to spend any more time mortified by my body... pulling down my shirt in the hope it hides my stomach rolls... feeling pinched by my plus-size jeans... not being able to wear a gorgeous hot pink suede tailored size 18 Christmas blazer my aunt gave me because my upper arms were too fat... feeling shy and ugly and unwilling to date...

Enough is enough. I have to see this as a NECESSARY CHANGE in my life to get back my health. "Suck it up" in other words. I know after a couple weeks, I actually crave the foods, and enjoy the way my body is feeling... full of energy, and like it's healing from the inside out.

I'm going to go place my order today! Look out, TSFL... :)

I'll be back in among all you losers soon... :lol:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Mommy2girls » January 22nd, 2006, 4:16 pm

I'm not a "returnee" (April 05) but I have gone on and off Medifast since starting last April...lol does that count?

I do get a lot out of reading posts from people who have been there, done that, so to speak and I'm also realizing how many people really don't keep the weight off. I'm not trying to bring anyone down, but just KNOWING that really losing the weight is the FIRST battle, while keeping it off is the SECOND battle. I've totally been there myself, and lost 80lbs with Medifast about 8 years ago. I completely put all the weight back on (oh sure I can blame 2 back to back pregnancies for all the returning weight) but really I have to point the finger at myself and realize that I did it to myself.

This time, I'm committed to losing weight S-L-O-W-L-Y (I did the complete fast years ago) and while I admit that sometimes it is hard to see it go so slow, I think FOR ME (just for me, not saying this works for anyone else...) it will pay off in the long run, by allowing me to lose weight and keep it off. I have gone on and off plan a LOT but, I have to be proud of never having gained back more than 10lbs. When I get to my goal (WHEN, not if) I want to be able to maintain that weight, which means I need to be in control.

Hey, I'm just rambling on here, but THANKS LA for calling out the people who are returning at this point in their lives. We want to know that you are losing those sneaky pounds and going on to goal....
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

mf to lose weight...

Postby LAwoman » January 22nd, 2006, 5:53 pm

Hey all, it's nice to hear from you.

24K, it is hard to get that motivation back like the first go-around with MF. For a while, back in the 170's, 180's, and 190's, I was living off the "high" from pounds I had lost whenever I tried to restart. I kept taking little cheats, thinking, well, of course I CAN do it, I'll just restart tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow..., and of course we see where that got me. I really had to spend some time getting back in the mind-set of honestly looking at where I am right now. Based on my height/weight chart, I was, at a minimum, 50 lbs. overweight, and 80 lbs. based on what I think my goal is (I'll decide for sure when I hit 150.) Psychologically, I had to let go of my other losses and say, okay, it's Day 1, I want to drop 80 lbs., ready-set-go... - I don't know if this is similiar to your mindset while trying to get started again, but thinking it through and getting myself ready seems to have helped, hope it helps you.

Oh yeah, I think Nancy said she may be in our neck of the woods soon, hmmmmm?

Berkshiregirl, I'm glad to see you back here to take control of your health. I do know it gets harder and harder as we get older to lose the weight and keep it off, but we know from the way we feel we have to. Good for you for coming back to what works for you, now just work the MF girl.

Hi Mommy, good to hear from you. I wasn't sure from your post if you're still using MF to lose or you're choosing to go another route.

Yes, people often do put weight back on with MF as well as every other diet out there, including slow losses through sensible eating, which can be discouraging. But I believe MF was created to help people lose weight, keeping the weight off is a whole different issue. I look at someone in the public eye like Oprah. Here's a woman who lost weight through liquid diet, brand-name diets, and eating sensibly. And EVERYTIME she put the weight back on, just like many of the rest of us. Why? Because losing weight is not at all the same as maintaining that weight loss, no matter how the weight is lost.

Dieting is so much more psychological than physical for me, as I would bet it is for most people. Personally, I get too frustrated counting calories, spending time and energy choosing foods. Also, taking so much time to lose the weight often left me feeling discouraged and I just gave up. The reason I chose to come back to and stay with MF is because it is so encouraging and it really does work. I don't have to spend any time or energy worrying about what I should and shouldn't eat, as well as the amount of time it takes to lose the weight.

That said, once the weight is off, it's up to me to eat the right amounts of healthy foods (which I've never been consistent at) and exercise (which fortunately I enjoy and have always done)

I guess I wanted to say this for those newbies out there based on my experience with MF so far. It really works to lose the pounds, it might even help some learn controlled eating, but in the end, it's still up to us to keep the pounds off on our own.

Whatever way we all choose to lose and maintain, keep up the good work, and here's to taking care of happy, healthy bodies :cheers:
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby 24KaratGold » January 22nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

24K, it is hard to get that motivation back like the first go-around with MF. For a while, back in the 170's, 180's, and 190's, I was living off the "high" from pounds I had lost whenever I tried to restart. I kept taking little cheats, thinking, well, of course I CAN do it, I'll just restart tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow..., and of course we see where that got me. I really had to spend some time getting back in the mind-set of honestly looking at where I am right now. Based on my height/weight chart, I was, at a minimum, 50 lbs. overweight, and 80 lbs. based on what I think my goal is (I'll decide for sure when I hit 150.) Psychologically, I had to let go of my other losses and say, okay, it's Day 1, I want to drop 80 lbs., ready-set-go... - I don't know if this is similiar to your mindset while trying to get started again, but thinking it through and getting myself ready seems to have helped, hope it helps you.

Sometimes I think it might be more motivating if I had gained back a bunch of extra pounds -- then I'd have a closetful of clothes to work to fitting back into, and the impetus from the extra weight. The problem is that everything in my (new!) wardrobe fits, this is the smallest size I've been since I was 18, and I've been holding pretty steady here in the mid-180s (although I did have one brief foray to the high 170s, and right after the holidays was at the mid 190s, which I was determined to and did take off right away).

I'll get there; I think it'll just be a slower road this time.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Mommy2girls » January 22nd, 2006, 7:38 pm

Hi again,

YEP! I am still going the MEDIFAST route. I learned some lessons from my first successful attempt at losing weight. 8 years ago I could only purchase MF products from my dr. office and there were way less products back then than there are now (no current soups, only creamy broc./chicken/tomato, no pudding, no oatmeal...gasp!) But I did the complete fast and what I learned (again, this is MY experience...not what anyone else should or might have...) is that while I was completely fasting, I wasn't reteaching myself how to eat properly. Sure the weight FLEW off my body and I had the power of saying NO to food, but when everything was all said and done, I had not taught myself how to eat properly. I was required by my dr. office to go through nutritional counseling (which I paid big $$ for) and it was something I do NOT regret. I learned a LOT.

However, this time around, I felt like I didn't want to lose the weight as quickly as possible, and while I have not been perfect with my Medifast eating plan (the 5&1 is the ONLY way for me) I have been able to lose some weight and I have maintained (for the most part) what I have lost. I STILL want to lose more and I WILL lose more, and Medifast is the WAY I'm still losing weight, but I have not been an all or nothing gal.

When I get to maintenance (again IMO) that will be the hardest part. Because I don't want to gain 10lbs then have to take it off. Ya know? So I'm still planning on using Medifast products to help me maintain. I think that is doable.

Just wanted to clear that up, MEDIFAST absolutely ROCKS and is the ONLY thing that has ever really worked for me!
Sheila

Maintaining a –45lb loss....

Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 22nd, 2006, 8:11 pm

24KaratGold wrote:Nancy was supposed to get down here last year, remember?

The Leopardy one will be in SoCal the first of next month. I'm sure she'll be announcing her arrival soon...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby horsey girl » January 23rd, 2006, 9:58 am

Hi everyone. Yes 24K and LAwoman. It does seem a little harder to get the motivation back. I got to 132, about 7 lbs from goal, by Dec 1. Our last business trip of the year is to Las Vegas so I got lax about the diet, and then my almost 90 year old mother came for christmas and so on..... I'm in a 5/6 and feel pretty good except when I eat too much. I went back on medifast and lost most of the stuff that crept back [7 or 8 lbs] last week down to 134. Then last night we took our daughter to the Outback for her birthday. I could have done the lean and green. I took my butter buds and Walden Farms dreesing along but them my husband ordered a bottle of wine and then the dessert came with three spoons. WHERE IS MY MOTIVEVATION? :shock: I went for 10 months without a single cheat! I've gotten weak, but today is a new day. I'm at 136 today :x Was that brownie sunday really that good? Onward returnies. WE CAN DO IT! Horsey Girl
Ad Astra per Aspera
horsey girl
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Returning to the Medifast Fold!

Postby BerkshireGrl » January 27th, 2006, 12:02 pm

:toast: to all returnees!

As of this morning, I am back on the ball!

:woohoo: WOOHOO!!!! :woohoo:

I am now officially Ready To Work It ;)

I have some real added motivation with this week being busy with chiropractic appointments, x-rays, neck/hip pain, migraines. I think a big part of the neck pain is my current un-ergonomic workstation set-up, which I am going to change next week... whether or not the company reimburses me. But the hip pain? I think that's very much caused by my ever-increasing weight.

Also having to buy a pair of size 18W Lee Jeans :( And a couple pairs of huge velvet sweats for being comfortable in at home. That is the LAST time I'm getting size 1X in anything! I even had to buy some larger band-size bras because the ones I had were like wearing one of those lobster bands around my ribcage :lol:

NO MORE FAT CLOTHES!

:goteam: We all know how to play this game...

Let's get out there and GAIN SOME THINNESS!

:cheermed:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Return to The Weight Room