What do they actually think of me?

Need a lift? Drop in to see some of our most popular posts.

What do they actually think of me?

Postby explorthis » October 21st, 2003, 8:23 am

Below are reasons that I am fearful/tired/fed-up/had enough of being overweight. A comment(s) or a question(s) I have thought about at least 20,000 times. Things I will be glad to forget when the weight is proportional to my size (or I am not FAT) There is nary a day go by that I have not thought about at least one of the below issues.

Understand these comments are not uncommon for me. Each and every one has crossed my mind, and/or happened to me MORE THAN ONCE.

--------------------------------
Non thinking, non hurtful comments from my friend: Hey BIG guy!, or “Hey Your Large-ness”

Fear of going into a restaurant, and not having a table available, will I fit behind a booth?

Will the waitress at the restaurant think I am ordering too much? Will she secretly laugh when I order my standard diet coke with my meal?

Sitting in a metal foldable chair (broke one once) wondering if it will hold me?

Going to dinner at relatives, will their Victorian era valuable chairs hold me?

Going to dinner at relatives, will they assume I am eating too much?

Do my friends and relatives think I will break their chair or seat in their car?

Going to Amusement park, on a confined ride, with my kids. Will the seat and/or harness be big enough to go over me?

Are my kids embarrassed if a weight comment is made while I am with them in a public setting?

Will I be asked (again) how much I weigh at the parachute ride @ Knott’s Berry Farm, and be denied access to this ride w/my kid “because of a weight limit on this ride” in front of 1000 people?

Swimming at the in-laws, why must I be afraid to take off my shirt?

Swimming at the in-laws, I am looking at them, are they looking at me?

Going shopping at a normal, non “large guy” store, will they have my size? Will the larger size cost more? Will the checker look at the XXXL size and secretly giggle?

Why don’t the clothing manufacturer’s realize I like nice designer type clothes, and have them at my retail store like everyone else’s?

Will Southwest airlines (I fly semi frequently) charge me for 2 seats because of my size?

Will I fit behind the wheel of the small sports car I am looking at buying for my soon to drive teen? Will the salesman allow me to even attempt this?
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

wt.

Postby susan » October 21st, 2003, 2:56 pm

you will soon be where you want to be .I know you can do this you have already done good.I am :oops: when i go out also be cause some people arn:t very kind and I always try to stay in the back ground .When we go to my husbands reunion I feel :oops: because I am fat and feel like everone is watching what I put on my plate its over for this year but you just wait till next September I am going to be slim-----------. and when I visit where I worked are they going to be suprised you bet they will be. we can all do this we just need to stick together and help each other.It helps me just to know I can get on here and talk to everone and know they are fighting the same battles and thoughts no one knows how it feels unless they have been fat I was tired of the dr. saying loss wt. but he never tried to help me thank the lord I have finally found something that works. with the 6# i had lost on w.w. and the 9# i have lost since saterday when i started makes me 15#lighter and i am so happy about it. I will post my wt. in the wt. room sat.morn. :D :D :D susan
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Donna501 » October 21st, 2003, 5:19 pm

Today I learned my good friend is goning to stary Medifast again. Years ago when it was only two shakes flavors and no food she did it. She lost 85lbs. But over the years she has come down with several health problems and gained it all back. So now she is going to do the diet with me. :D :D . We have a goal. We want to be able to go to the beach this coming summer (we live in florida) and not have a full green peace call out. They wont try to rescue us. Ha Ha. We have both been subjects to the looks, the comments and other stuff that goes along with being over weight. We work in a room with 17 women all day. Most of them just see what plastic surgery they can plan and have done this year. So they like to make the comments about those who are not like them. Well we will soon be able to dish it right back. They are no better than us. They have the same concerns as we do. At least ours we can change. We can loose the weight and feel better. They are so unhappy with themselves they have to go under the knife and change forever. So they can say all they want to about us. So this hang in there. They have nothing going on in their lives so they have to talk about us being fat. Heck they have some sad lives..

P.S. I am a travel agent and have my own agency.. My husband is a very fit man (goes to the gym everyday) :twisted: We went to Las Vegas for fathers day. He even had a hard time with the seats on Southwest Airlines. They are just small seats. American Airlines is much better for their seats. Plus they have tv's and movies on every plane :P :P
Donna501
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » October 22nd, 2003, 10:24 am

Good show Donna,

Nothing like a buddy for support and a little competition to help you along. Just remember no "fudging". No skippin' meals and drink all your water...:)

It's gonna be great to look back at this forum in a year or so and "remember" where everyone was.....

Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » October 22nd, 2003, 8:01 pm

Mike-- I hear you. I think all of us have experienced a lot of the things you mentioned, or other similar things.

I look forward to so many things after losing this weight. In many ways it will be like gaining freedom.

I look forward to being free to shop in any store I please.

I look forward to being able to walk down the beach. We spend a lot of time each summer at the beach and in the past few years I've stopped walking down the beach. You feel more invisible in your chair under the umbrella than parading down the beach in a bathing suit in front of everyone. This summer I will be walking down that beach every chance I get!!!

I look forward to being able to buy a really cute little bra at Victorias Secret, rather than some big ugly white thing that looks like it belongs to my grandmother!

I could go on and on, but I wont.

[color=blue]I think we all have known for years
WHY we want to lose weight, and WHY we want to be thin(ner). What we (I) didn't know was HOW to do it and be successful.

NOW we know HOW. NOW we will be successful.

To Success!!
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » October 26th, 2003, 11:23 am

You still kickin' over there Mike?...:)
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

MIKE ARE YOU STILL AROUND

Postby susan » October 26th, 2003, 3:42 pm

MIKE, HOW ARE YOU DOING ? HAVEN;T HEARD FROM YOU ARE YOU DOING OK? HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON THATS WHAT KEEPS US ALL GOING.SUSAN
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Elevator