What about artichokes?

Add your favorite recipes.

What about artichokes?

Postby Mommy2girls » May 2nd, 2005, 7:22 pm

I did not see artichokes on the "approved" list for the lean and green portion of the 5&1 plan.

However, when they are in season, we tend to buy them steam them and dip them in melted Brummel & Brown butter blend. I know the B&B is probably not on the plan, but how about just plain old steamed artichokes?

I don't think we will be getting rid of these off our our weekly menu since my children LOVE this vegetable. One time my 4 year old practically jumped out of the grocery cart (she was just barely 3 at the time) to try and grab some off the produce shelf at the store. It was funny. They love artichokes more than candy! (YAY!)

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
(Also I'm going to add this because I'm sure there are some people out there who are thinking WHAT IN THE HECK ARE THOSE??? They are part of the thistle family {I think!} and when you buy them fresh (not canned, jarred or otherwise) they are delicious steamed. You then pluck the leaves off, nibble on the very end of the leaf, then discard the rest. You can also eat the heart which is what you get when you see them canned, etc.) :lol:
Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mommy2girls » May 4th, 2005, 5:14 am

Here is a quick overview of the nutritional content of an artichoke... if that helps!

This is for one medium artichoke:
* 25 calories; 0 calories from fat
* Carbohydrates: 6 gm (2%)
* Proteins 2 gm
* Dietary Fiber 2 gm (12%)
* Sugars 2 g
* Potassium 170mg (5%)
* Sodium 75mg
* Folic Acid 10mg
* Foliate 10%
* Magnesium 10mg (10%)
* Phosphorous 6mg (6%)
* Calcium 2-4mg (2%)
* Copper 2-4mg (2%)
* Zinc 2-4mg
* Vitamin C 10mg (10%)
* Vitamin B6 2-4mg (2%)
* Vitamin E 2-4mg (2%)
* Niacin 2-4mg (4%)
* Pantothenic Acid 2-4mg (2%)
* Riboflavin 2-4mg (2%)
* Thiamin 2%
* Manganese 8%
* Chromium 8%
Mommy2girls

Postby Nancy » May 5th, 2005, 9:39 am

Dear Mommy2Girls ~

:hmmm: There is a very good reason that Artichokes are not on the list of veggies in the Quick Start Booklet or here on the MakeMeThinner Forum: they are not permitted. :x

There will be a time for your beloved arties once you get to maintenance. I am not even going to comment on dipping them in B&B or mayo... :oops:

Nutritional analysis can vary among resources.

Straight from the :puter: keyboards of the Medifast Diet/Take Shape For Life Nutritionist, Amy
1 c of Artichokes has 19 grams of carbs, and 1 medium whole artichoke has 13 grams of carbs. In general the vegetable portion should be no more than 10 grams of carbs

Approved Vegetable List for the 5 and 1 Program

Alfalfa Sprouts
Asparagus
Beans (Italian, Green, Waxed)
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Greens (collard, turnip)
Kale
Lettuce (romaine, iceberg, bib)
Mushrooms (use in moderation on top of salad)
Onions/Peppers (green) (use in moderation on top of salad)
Radishes
Spinach
Summer Squash
Tomato :tomato:
Turnips
Zucchini
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Mommy2girls » May 5th, 2005, 6:16 pm

Nancy! Thanks for your response. I do agree that the source of nutritional information can vary widely. There are many canned/jarred artichoke hearts that I'm sure are packed in oil, and other things that add to their (good or bad) to the nutritional content.

I found varying source of calories, etc. as well. Thanks for finding out info on this one. As I said before this is a weekly favorite (when in season) at our house and the kids enjoy eating this vegetable. I will consider that it is non-MF approved but I don't feel that this is a detrimental veggie. (Not that you are saying that...by ANY means!) And you are right, I will be able to indulge as necessary LATER! 8)

I found this while searching online for info... THIS IS NOT FROM MEDIFAST it is from a site called:
<snip>no urls please - Mr. Snippy</snip>
Nutrition
"Fiber is a prime feature of this vegetable with one medium artichoke supplying a hearty 6 grams. Dieters can also enjoy the artichoke for its low count of only 60 calories.

This delectable vegetable is a heavyweight on the protein chart offering 4 grams.

The artichoke is truly a no-fat, no cholesterol treat that offers a host of vitamins and minerals including magnesium, chromium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and calcium.

The vitamin A content soars to 212 IU. For the B vitamin, niacin, it supplies 1.20 mg while vitamin B6 offers .13 mg. All-important folic acid adds up 61.2 mcg and vitamin C provides 12 mg.

Artichokes are a good source of calcium measuring 54 mg while iron supplies 1.5 mg. Magnesium climbs to 72 mg while potassium scores an impressive 425 mg. Even zinc makes an appearance with .6 mg. for that medium size.

Because artichokes are so well endowed with nutrients and phytochemicals, many health researchers believe eating them may contribute to the prevention of certain types of heart disease, cancer, and birth defects."

Now I won't get into what people dip them in either (I think mayo just sounds GROSS!) but like any veggie or salad you sure can ruin a good thing by adding too many garbage "extras" so I agree someone could abuse the beauty of perfectly good veggie.

Thanks again for your insight and response, Nancy!

Sheila
Mommy2girls

Return to Lean Cuisine