So I Was Wandering…

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

So I Was Wandering…

Postby mellowmom » December 3rd, 2006, 9:55 am

Last month was complicated. There was sorrow and loss (my best friend passed away), a new job (anyone want to buy a Honda?), angst over healthcare (the company that bought my old company announced it was dropping the health plan organization that many of us retirees used, and forcing us into another which will cost about $250 more a month!) It was a month filled with malaise and my attitude towards weight loss in general and Medifast in particular was sorely challenged.

The ironic thing was that more and more people were commenting on how great I looked, younger, healthier, glowing, but all the while inside I was battling those old demons of self-doubt and uncertainty about how far/much I wanted to go with this whole weight loss “thing”. When I looked in the mirror I thought I looked a lot older with more age lines, and what’s with the cellulite on my stomach, and my thighs resemble something that would look good on a Shar-pei! I was mentally tired and emotionally drained and my dearest wish was to be able to curl up into the fetal position and make the world go away.

So, I turned to an old friend…FOOD (the dreaded “F” word), and found out that it wasn’t the great “pal” that it had been in the past. Aside from the guilt that my splurges caused there was that gnawing (literally) in the pit of my stomach that made me feel worse not better. (Oh great, now I’d lost another FRIEND!) But what was really different was that after I’d blow a meal I’d talk myself back into immediately going back on to the Medifast plan for the rest of that day! This was a huge change in action and attitude for me.

We’ve all been there before where you blow your diet, and immediately go into that ‘well, I’ve blown it for this meal, might as well blow off the rest of the day, or week, or month…..” mode. But I’d read it here on this board so many times about the importance of getting back on the program right after your fall, not to wait until the next day, or week and I guess those lessons sunk in, because that’s what would happen. Even when I fell off the wagon hard on Thanksgiving Day, and got “backed over” several times, as Dede so eloquently put it, I got back up and threw myself back into the driver’s seat.

After a month of pity partying my way through life, I’m finally back on the Medifast track and ready to reach my goal. Weight-wise, I’m starting just where I left off. It was a month of “maintenance”. And a literal gut check for me into how far I’ve come and how much farther I am willing to go to be the healthiest person possible for myself, my family, and my friends.

Thank you all for your kind support and caring ways. It’s meant a lot to me and when I reach my goal, I will be eternally grateful to you, my role models and friends.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Karli » December 3rd, 2006, 10:03 am

YAY Carmel !! Welcome back ! It seems there are a number of us finding our way back after dealing with demons, though, you have had a lot on your plate besides those silly demons.

How strong you are to pull your way through and make the decison to go further with what you started. I will be looking forward to witnessing your continued and renewed success :).

Isn't it actually nice to know that you will be able to maintain your losses ?

Good to see you back. I just knew I had seen your name a couple of days ago :D.

Cheers,
Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 3rd, 2006, 10:06 am

Welcome back! As a newbie, I am looking forward to getting to know you.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DogMa » December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 am

Yay, Carmel!!! Welcome back!! We were all just asking where you were and hoping you'd return.

A month of maintenance is EXACTLY how to look at it. A month's break to get your head on straight again, too. You've proved you HAVE learned the important lessons, and I have no doubt you'll make it to goal and successfully maintain it.

Glad to have you back!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Amber » December 3rd, 2006, 11:09 am

Missed you, Carmel!
Isn't it nice to know that food is no longer your friend?
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby PJinCali » December 3rd, 2006, 12:07 pm

YAY!!! CARMEL IS BACK!!!

:whoohoo::bananadance::whoohoo::bananadance::whoohoo::bananadance::whoohoo::bananadance::whoohoo::bananadance:

PJ
20#5-21 - 120# forecast 3-3
40#7-09 - 130# forecast 4-2
60#8-31 - 140# forecast 5-2
80#10-22- 150# forecast 6-2
100#12-30 – 160# forecast 7-2
110# forecast 1-29
PJinCali

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 3rd, 2006, 12:38 pm

Carmel!

I'm so THRILLED you're back! Robin said everything I wanted to, I just wanted to say welcome back and I think it's awesome that you "maintained" for a month! You did good with all that was on your plate! I hope to learn the lessons you learned for good!

Welcome back. Remember, we're here to talk about ANYTHING, not just spicing up the oatmeal and celebrating...we're HERE!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Elke » December 3rd, 2006, 1:01 pm

Welcome back girl, you were missed
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 3rd, 2006, 3:50 pm

Yay, glad to see you back, Carmel. And speaking of eloquent.......that's YOU! Love to read your posts, hunney girl. :D
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » December 3rd, 2006, 5:07 pm

Welcome back, Carmel! I know you will reach goal and handle all the curves life throws you...one day at a time. (I thought all the demons in my life would go on vacation so I could do my Medifast thing.....NOT!!!!!)

I agree with Jo, you write so beautifully. You can earn some CASH; send your "essays" to Guideposts or Redbook...so we can all say we knew you when. :D
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » December 3rd, 2006, 7:33 pm

We missed you Carmel! I'm glad to see you on the forum again!!! :byebye:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lizabette » December 6th, 2006, 8:02 am

OH GOODY, YOU"RE BACK!
I know. You just couldn't stay away from all your friends who care for you!
Missed you a bunch...
Lizabette :heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » December 6th, 2006, 11:53 am

Carmel, so very happy to see you posting with us once again. :D :D :D You were missed by so many, yet you were never really far away, as your post alluded to, and that is sooo wonderful. To maintain your weight for the time you had been away, proves that Medifast teachings were right there with you, no matter where you went. Gosh, it is sooo good to have you back!!!
;)
Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Tankie » December 7th, 2006, 5:24 pm

It's so good to see you.....I'm glad you're back! :hug:

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Come on in.