I want it & I want it now!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

I want it & I want it now!

Postby Carrie » March 3rd, 2004, 11:40 am

I've been thinking....... I know....... UH OH.

I've been battling my evil food monger (e.f.m.) and reading all these posts and one thing is jumping out at me. Very frequently one of us is disappointed by ONLY a 2 or 3 or heck even 9 pound loss in one week. We wished it was more, it should be more, WHY ISN'T IT MORE!?! And we want it now! Not tomorrow, NOW. We've worked for it, suffered for it, give it to us NOW, we deserve it.

I imagine there's a scientific hypothesis behind my next statement, but alas and alack, I'm no scientist. But even so it seems to me that there is a limit to what our bodies can safely lose within the period of a few days. Add to that the arithmetic of calories in and calories burned and I think it's probably only reasonable to lose a couple (few) pounds a week. Don't we have to burn off 3000 calories to lose a pound? Or is it 3500? Our daily activities only add up to so much caloric use, and I doubt any of us are in the shape to go run a marathon one day to boost that loss a few pounds. Right?

I said something in a post yesterday about not being able to see past the minute in front of my face. Isn't that what this whole issue is about??? From gaining the weight to trying to lose it, it's about instant gratification versus delayed gratification.

I have taught myself that I can stuff my body with food at any given moment and FEEL GOOD while I'm doing it. And I woulda made a FANTASTIC dog for Mr. Pavlov, cause lemme tell ya the bell rings and I'm the first one in line at McD's panting for an extra value meal.

I have conditioned myself to eat. When in doubt, eat. When in pain, eat. When in fear, eat. When happy, eat. Sad? No prob, just eat. And for those moments that I'm eating, I am at peace. Pseudo-peace, but peace it is, and any port in a storm right? And I want it now! Not tomorrow, NOW. I've worked for it, suffered for it, give it to me NOW, I deserve it!

So what about the rest of the time? What about the majority of time when I am not feeding myself and all I can think about is how miserable I am for being so fat? It would seem foolish to trade a few frivolous moments of pleasure for endless hours of pain wouldn't it? And yet I have ..... for years.

I haven't been able to see past the instant gratification. I haven't been able to see clearly enough that forgoing the moments pleasure of eating will allow me to solve the problem of 'the rest of the time'. The problem of hating myself (and sometimes the world), being ashamed, being guilty, and being alone in a self-imposed prison. And I'm at a point where I would give just about anything to leave all that self-defeating malarky behind. Including the food.

It's all the same, I couldn't eat fast enough before. Now, I can't lose it fast enough. Like a child, I have no concept of a long term goal, or working at something for a long time and achieving success. (god knows how I ever got through college).

But here's the thing....... every time e.f.m. tells me to get in the car and hit a drive through and I tell that voice in my head to stuff it, I'm learning. I'm learning to tell myself 'Not right now, we're doing something more important than bingeing.' And you know what? I won't always make the right decision.

But instead of letting one slip up turn into another 6 months of unadulterated eating, I'll make it an isolated incident, and get back to making better decisions. (Like eating a handful of chocolate chips instead of a trip to the store for a cartful of goodies - I use that as an example cause that's what I did last night ...... the chips, not the cart) :oops: A small victory, but a victory nevertheless.

And hopefully that's how a bad habit dies and a good habit is born.

Keep working gang, we can do this,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Re: I want it & I want it now!

Postby Jeanette » March 3rd, 2004, 12:19 pm

My gosh woman, you have so much good stuff in here...it's gonna take awhile.

Carrie wrote:Very frequently one of us is disappointed by ONLY a 2 or 3 or heck even 9 pound loss in one week. We wished it was more, it should be more, WHY ISN'T IT MORE!?! And we want it now! Not tomorrow, NOW. We've worked for it, suffered for it, give it to us NOW, we deserve it.

You don't know how many times I have thought this! Why can't I be at goal NOW?? Why does Mike only have to stay on the program for 5 months to get his weight off when it will take me eight or more???

I said something in a post yesterday about not being able to see past the minute in front of my face. Isn't that what this whole issue is about??? From gaining the weight to trying to lose it, it's about instant gratification versus delayed gratification.

Discipline is just choosing between what you want now, and what you want most. This is taped on my computer monitor so I can be reminded to not do anything to get in the way of the fast.

I have conditioned myself to eat. When in doubt, eat. When in pain, eat. When in fear, eat. When happy, eat. Sad? No prob, just eat. And for those moments that I'm eating, I am at peace. Pseudo-peace, but peace it is, and any port in a storm right? And I want it now! Not tomorrow, NOW. I've worked for it, suffered for it, give it to me NOW, I deserve it!

This type of conditioning did not happen overnight, so the reverse will not happen overnight either.

But here's the thing....... every time e.f.m. tells me to get in the car and hit a drive through and I tell that voice in my head to stuff it, I'm learning. I'm learning to tell myself 'Not right now, we're doing something more important than bingeing.' And you know what? I won't always make the right decision.

No, you won't. I haven't.

But instead of letting one slip up turn into another 6 months of unadulterated eating, I'll make it an isolated incident, and get back to making better decisions. (Like eating a handful of chocolate chips instead of a trip to the store for a cartful of goodies - I use that as an example cause that's what I did last night ...... the chips, not the cart) :oops: A small victory, but a victory nevertheless.

It doesn't matter if a basketball team wins by one point or fifty, there is a check mark in the win column. A victory is a victory.

Carrie, you are pretty wise for being a newbie!![/i][/b][/quote]
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby explorthis » March 3rd, 2004, 12:52 pm

What a great post, from a true thinker.. So many great observations…

So what about the rest of the time? What about the majority of time when I am not feeding myself and all I can think about is how miserable I am for being so fat? It would seem foolish to trade a few frivolous moments of pleasure for endless hours of pain wouldn't it? And yet I have ..... for years. I haven't been able to see past the instant gratification. I haven't been able to see clearly enough that forgoing the moments pleasure of eating will allow me to solve the problem of 'the rest of the time

I have said this 1000 times, we did not get this way overnight; it will not come off overnight. It will take a lifelong commitment to the way we see things to be able to realize it will be work, but fun work to remain thin for the remainder of our lives. It would be easy to CONTINUE to trade a minute of self gratification for something we have had and wanted for along time, but would it be worth it? No.

I have no concept of a long term goal, or working at something for a long time and achieving success.

I have NEVER – repeat NEVER had a long term goal in relation to eating or not eating. Why was I able to make this one work? I have no answer. The only thing I do know is I have started 1000 diets as you have to no avail. My Mom and I began this one together, maybe the fact that I spent $300 and the product was in hand? Maybe. Once I actually saw some weight coming off, is when the “light went on” The light that I have not seen in more than 20 years. Mike can lose weight? No way. Well something comes over you when you see that a program like this works with little or no effort. A simple program like this? Its not brain surgery. YES, there is more effort than we can stand sometimes relating to NOT EATING when and what we want whenever we want to, but the effort of having to do nothing but shake and slurp does help.

You have made this conscious choice to be a Medifaster, you have chosen to join this support group. You can see by the testimonies here (heart felt ones) that this program works like no other does. I still for the life of me cannot understand why I stuck to it, why for42 years I was not able to control what I ate, and especially how much I ate. I was so overweight, what and how much I ate did not make one iota of difference to me.

177 days later, and 112 pounds lighter, there is life after being overweight. Funny, I can tell you verbatim at any time, any minute, any second what I weigh, and how many days it has been since I started Medifast – I must be in love! I slap the crap out of myself everyday wondering why I did not make this decision long ago to do this. Now I look forward everyday to what I have missed for SOOOOO LONG. You have this choice now. The choice is to do it once and for all. Quit thinking the negative thoughts about it NOT WORKING. Your body has no choice but to lose the weight.

This is the lifesaver you have been looking for, Again it will not give you immediate gratification like a box of chocolate, but I testify to you that after you see the weight come off, and experience the joy of losing the weight, it will all make sense, and you will feel euphoria (there is that word I use again) EUPHORIA – how can I explain it, I can’t, there is no feeling like it.

All I can say is let it work, you will not be sorry.

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby shineface » March 3rd, 2004, 7:50 pm

Carrie---

Girl what you have started ---- a journey with all of us --- I am speechless - a rare occurence -- believe me...

The things that you said and the way you said them --- a lot to digest -- but so familar ---- to me, to all of us as I see more and more everyday on this forum ---- Jeanette and Mike just added more --- I'm short on time and don't have nearly enough time to add my 2 cents to these posts right now but thank you for opening the door to another secret room of feelings -- and Mike and Jeanette -- as always you provide so much FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!

More later...

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby TamiL » March 4th, 2004, 6:53 am

Carrie
Dido to everything Pam just said...and Mike and Jeanette!! Food addiction is just as bad as any other, in some ways, worse I think, cuz we have to eat to live. But thats just it...EAT TO LIVE, not LIVE TO EAT!! I have learned that when I am no stuffing my face or my feelings down...that I have WAY TOO MUCH DOWN TIME to THINK about things I havent thought of..and that is scary at times. When I am "clean" (that is what I call myself when I have not overeaten) things are very clear to me...not foggy, but there are times when FOGGY helps cuz it PREVENTS the HURT you feel when things are CLEAR!!

From someone who has been overweight her whole life....up and down in numbers and clothes sizes...This is a constant battle...and will be for the rest of my life. I was not born to be able to do what others can...eat whatever they like and function like a normal person!! Food affects my whole outlook on things...it packs on me like white on rice...its too easy to sit around and EAT to take the PAIN away..while the REALITY is the EATING is what has caused OUR PAIN!! its a vicious cycle...you eat cuz you feel depressed cuz youve let yourself get so fat...then you try and stop for a few days...only to eat again and more cuz you have guilt and are so down on yourself...IT NEVER ENDS. UNLESS YOU END IT!!!
I FIRMLY BELEIVE THAT YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING...PUT YOURSELF FIRST...and really focus on where you can be just a few months from now...take SHORT TERM GOALS..dont look at ALL YOU HAVE TO LOOSE AT ONCE..that will overwhelm ANYONE!!
just do it a DAY AT A TIME Carrie....one day will turn into ONE WEEK...THEN ONE MONTH..then MONTHS..and all of a sudden...the scale will be in a place you havent seen it in years!! and youll be on your way.

Hang in there Carrie....keep posting. Keep reading. If you havent noticed by now..we have ALL BEEN JUST WHERE YOU ARE...have had the same thoughts and doubts...the same questions and feelings....and we can all do this TOGETHER!! ;)

what else in this world can we control? not much. But we can control what we put in our mouths..as hard as that can be sometimes, (those nasty voices in our heads do thier best to get us!!) :x but to be honest..when I binge..I feel as if the world is out of control...and nothing is clear to me..when I am CLEAN...I AM IN CONTROL!!

Great posts guys....
thank you all
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Starloser63 » March 4th, 2004, 7:11 am

Thanks everyone. I really needed this today. I had a bad night last night I made pork chops and I ate one. When this has happened before, I've dusted myself off and went on. But I got up this morning and the failure feeling hasn't left me. :( I really appreciate all that has been said. I have lost 23 lbs and I should not lose sight of that.

:idea: So I am dusting myself off... Adjusting the mood... And back to the shaking. :)

It is really what I needed. An uplifting message and a kick in the pants.

Hugs to you all, Thanks for being here.
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Carrie » March 4th, 2004, 8:47 am

Thanks for all the great replies ...... part of why I'm so doggedly posting my thoughts is accountability. I've got to get it out of my head (where it gets pushed aside by temptation) and onto errrr....... paper? You know what I mean.

Another part is that I can't say these things to ANYONE in my life, because either a) they wouldn't understand or b) they wouldn't be receptive.

Part of this destructive cycle of eating is that we beat ourselves up so much. I am my own worst enemy. I say things to myself that I wouldn't say to people I dislike intensely. And I have decided to treat myself like I actually like me. Like I'm a friend of mine. And that means stopping all the internal 'verbal' abuse, but it also means stopping the abuse of my body by bingeing and being obese.

I was really struggling Mon and Tues, and couldn't articulate exactly what it was that was making me feel so lousy and then Mike said it for me ......

"I was so overweight, what and how much I ate did not make one iota of difference to me. "

That was it. I was feeling 'hey why am I even bothering, I've got 120+ pounds to lose, what difference does one day make? What difference does another trip to the drivethrough make? It's hopeless, I may as well eat' And prior to Mon and Tues that message of negativity would have been followed by an all out binge. But at some point you have stop and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I'm taking control of this situation!

It kinda reminds me of the process of my divorce. I knew my ex for 4 years before I married him. I was in no hurry to get married, but he was, so we married. 9 months later I caught him having an affair. Talk about humiliated and mortified. I divorced him, and then spent about a year and a half being mad at him and then one day it clicked. I wasn't hurting him by being angry all the time, I was only hurting myself. Wasting my precious time on this earth, and letting my life go by without living it. At that moment, the anger disappeared and I got on with my life. Now it's time for the weight issue to click. Time to let go of my false perceptions that food is giving me pleasure.

Time to take back my life.
One day at a time, or one minute at a time.
I can make progress or I can go backward.

I think today I'll go forward!
Carrie

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2004, 9:30 am

GREAT POSTS EVERYONE!

I think we can all relate to been there, done that! But we're doing this (MF) now and we need to look to the future and all of our accomplishments and forget about our past mistakes and not dwell on them. Losing weight is always a struggle no matter what you're trying to do but MF is so, so simple but it doesn't stop those wonderful female hormones tormenting our mind and body. It's one of those things we just have to deal with and cope with it the best we can. We can't always be perfect at what we do. We will fall occasionally. That's where this board comes to the rescue. The support here is awesome. I don't post much but when I have the time I try to but I do try to read all of your posts everyday and it helps me tremendously. We're here for each other and we all understand the struggles and we feel everyones pain and disappointments and we share the joys and accomplishments as well. We are all are going to succeed with MF but it will come with struggles and some let downs but the scale will keep moving if we just jump back on that train and continue to Medifast. This is the last train ride we will have to take because this is a one way train ticket so you will never turn around and go back to where you came from.

WE ALL CAN DO THIS!!!!

Ya'll all amaze me at the thoughts and feelings that come across this board. I don't think there is any place that gives so much love and support and as group of people. I'd like to just give each and everyone a great BIG HUG!!!!

Well I need to quit - I'm getting way to emotional.

Brenda

Postby moutoncove » March 4th, 2004, 9:31 am

Sorry, I thought I was logged in.

Brenda
moutoncove
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby moutoncove » March 4th, 2004, 9:35 am

Carrie,

Time to take back my life.
One day at a time, or one minute at a time.
I can make progress or I can go backward.

I think today I'll go forward!

YOUR GO GIRL!!!!! THAT'S THE RIGHT ATTITUDE!

Brenda
moutoncove

Postby Carrie » March 5th, 2004, 6:46 am

Hi Brenda!

My birthday (#35) is November 19th! Won't it be great to REALLY celebrate our birthdays in style!

I might even put on a lilbitty outfit and dance the night away ...... no.... maybe I'll dance on the TABLES, heeheehee.

Heck, if I'm at goal weight, this island better WATCH OUT it'll never recover from the aftermath of the celebration! :twisted:

With a shake shake here and a shake shake there,
Carrie
Carrie

Postby explorthis » March 5th, 2004, 7:59 am

Carrie wrote:My birthday (#35) is November 19th! Won't it be great to REALLY celebrate our birthdays in style!

With a shake shake here and a shake shake there

A little Nestle's quik math from Medi-Scoobie:

Brenda, has 74 to go from stats. At the worst case scenerio, you are losing 4# per week, or 16 per month. Now this assumption is you are 100% faithful to the ol "Scoobie Snacks" and are not deviating. I am not interested in getting into Medi-matches or MEdi-battles regarding the letter of the law, vs. the spirit of the law for all you religious folks, I am however saying with true Medifasting brenda can be ay her 150 by 7/20/04

How: 224 now, 150 is goal, 74 to lose devide by the easily accomplishable 4 per week, or 16 per month = 4.62 months from today, or about 7/20/04. Sounds real achievable to me.....

Now for Ms. Island-Tiny-Table-Top-lil-bitty outfit Dancer from the F-L-A, yours is just a bit farther, but again you just began, did you not? My estimates for you would be 10/16 - right about the old guy's birthday to be at your desired 135. Again, this is assuming the small side of John's Hopscotch formula, however he or they came up with it. So by your B-Day (#35 as you call it) you shall/should/better be at your AWSOME 135 goal and them some.

4 pounds a week in my opinion is low, but hey, I am just a dumb guy that wants everyone else to feel the way I do!!

Shake on

-Scoobie

P.S. Carrie, where are your photo's so we can enjoy and encourage the loss with you?
explorthis

Postby moutoncove » March 5th, 2004, 9:39 am

Oooohhhhhh Carrie,

I can't wait. I want to wear something real clingy to accentuate all my curves. We're going to dance the night away. We dance Cajun French down here and it is really fun. We haven't danced in a while because of my weight (my feet hurt too much) and my husband has also but on 50# extra. But that night is going to be grand. I will be in the best shape of my life at the age of 50. This is my dream and one dream I will fulfill. Who knows I might even dance on that table top too and I'll take pictures for everyone to see. Won't it be nice to do everything we want to do and not hold anything back because of our weight. I get goose bumps just thinking it.

Look out everyone we're going to shake down the town!!!!

Mike, thanks for the math - I know for sure now I'll be at my goal by Nov. 1st even though I don't lose 4# a week. You figured me reaching goal in July so that leaves Aug, Sept, & Oct. Yep! I'm definitely going to make it. Mike I can just imagine how you feel. I get so excited thinking about how tall you stand now. What's the word? ORGASMIC?

Coming to this board gives me so much hope. Something I haven't had in a long while.

Wishing everybody the very best in their journey.

Love,
Brenda
moutoncove

Postby elle4nelly » March 5th, 2004, 12:57 pm

This Forum is a Bid Ol jar of Nuts!! ADORABLE E, CRAZY , FUN , SMART NUTS!!!

And I can't get enough of it!

You keep me going!!!

:D
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Return to The Weight Room