Urgent - is your credit card info available online?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Urgent - is your credit card info available online?

Postby LongWay2go » November 12th, 2004, 7:27 am

I know this really isn't the place for this (Unca can remove if he wants) but I wanted to warn you, my MediFast family and friends about this and didn't have any other way short of emailing everyone on the board!

There was a news story last night about how to check to see if your credit card info has been "hacked" due to online purchases. Apparently eBay was hacked (but they are issuing a "no comment" when the reporter attempted to interview them via phone). Thousands of customer's credit card info was stolen.

Go to www.google.com

Click on "Advanced Search"

In the first box, type the type of credit card you use (Visa, MC, AMEX, etc)

Skip down to the "Numeric Range" section

In the first box, type the first four digits of your card number (that identifies the issuing bank) followed by 12 zero's (assuming Visa or MC, use actual number of digits following the first four if you are looking up an Amex or whatever)

In the second box, type the first four digits again, followed by 12 nine's. (again, assuming Visa or MC)

Just up and to the right, click on "google search" but change the drop-down box to return 100 results

See if you can find your credit card information. The reporter interviewed 2 people who DID. They found their credit card number, expiration date, security code, billing address and phone and Social Security number - even that their credit reports had been pulled! One of them had $46,000 in fraudulent charges in just 7 days!

Last week the police in Boston arrested a guy with ties to the Russian Mafia. He had in his possession over 200 credit cards and forged driver's licenses for people from all over the country, along with over $200,000 in goods he had bought online with those cards. I guess that's what started this investigation.

~Spidey
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby RavenKat » November 12th, 2004, 9:10 am

Uck!

Thanks for the warning! Of the five pages that came up, two appeared to be in Russian and one in Spanish. None had me on them, luckily. That's pretty creepy.

K
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 12th, 2004, 11:49 am

Thanks Spidey! Invaluable advice. Thanks Unca for allowing this post.
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room