Unbelievable...

Meet Terry and Nancy.

Unbelievable...

Postby Nancy » August 23rd, 2004, 9:20 am

Oh, my word! Halloween Candy is ALREADY showing up in the stores in our area – can you believe it? 70 days until Halloween and the merchants are already trying to suck our $ out of our wallets. Now parents have ANOTHER thing to contend with their children when they visit the grocery stores. Obesity is on the rise among our children…
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Sylvia » August 23rd, 2004, 9:34 am

I know. We went to Walmart yesterday and bought a pumpkin basket and costume!

Fortunately my older daughter (almost 4 yrs.) thinks my MF bars are candy and loves both the chocolate and the chocolate mint, so I've been encouraging her to eat a bar instead of "real" candy. She is happy as can be and I am too b/c I know she's eating something healthy for her.

Last year, my daughter got an unbelieveable amount of candy trick or treating. Of course, I ate most of it. This year, she will keep a few pieces and we will donate the rest of it. None of us needs it!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sudaoning » August 27th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Hallowween?

We have a 6' inflatable turkey-wearing-a-pilgrim's-hat sitting inside the door of one of our local stores!

I have tried to introduce the bars to my youngest daughter as well. She is a major suger / white flour addict and wants to eat little else. She is and has been overweight for many years and is only 11. Yesterday the doc told her that she is has borderline high blood pressure. SCARY! Her dad (my ex) has been on heavy duty blood pressure meds for years.

She tasted and turned up her nose.

Donna
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » August 27th, 2004, 1:04 pm

We handed some MF Fit! Peanut Butter Bars out to kids at Halloween last year.

Perhaps your daughter would eat the Fit! bars - especially if all other junk food is out of the house. We cleaned it all out and do not bring it in the house any more - IF we have a hankering for some junk, we go out and get it, eat it away from home. No temptation if there isn't any around.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby sudaoning » August 28th, 2004, 9:18 am

I started MF when my kids were out of the house for the annual daddy visit for 2 weeks. Cleaned house then. Emptied the cupboards.

I admit to allowing limited amounts since they have been back. VERY limited.

Last nite we went to the movies. She ran to the snack counter to spend her allowance on candy :(

On the positive side my daughter will be schooling at home this year which will limit access to stuff outside..

Thanks Nancy
Donna
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » August 28th, 2004, 10:14 am

My children are a concern for me as well. Neither my husband nor i come from flab-prone families...maybe that's why I never tried to scream genetics when faced with too-tight-pants again and again! LOL
I do have three children, though, who show no signs of being overweight, but to my thinking, why would I want to get them started eating terrible food that will eventually MAKE them overweight? Even if they are able to escape the flab, much of the junk out there has other deadly effects, so I just feel better cutting it out entirely. Luckily mine are young enough (and I'm a mean old mama about this subject) that they eat what they are given, or they are hungry until the next meal! LOL
They choose to eat.
When we have out mid-morning MF, I sit them down to a small portion of fresh sliced strawberries and bananas, or fruit yogurt and a few cashews, etc. I have stopped completely buying cheese puffs, snack cakes (Darn that Little Debbie!), gummy bears and the rest. I wish that as parents, we could have demonstrated a better example of control when it came to healthy eating, but we haven't, so I just felt it better to get that stuff OFF of our radar entirely. The kids don't seem to mind--actually--they clean their plates almost every meal now that they no longer fill up on sugar and salt and who-knows-what-chemical-combination between meals.
Hubby and I going on MF has been good for the entire family--they just don't know it yet! LOL

Susanna<--mean old mama, cracking the broccoli whip! LOL :whip:
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to A Message from your Hosts