Turnips vs. Rutabagas

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Turnips vs. Rutabagas

Postby Newfiewife » November 6th, 2006, 9:19 am

I read in the quick start we can have turnips, and I assumed that meant the small ones that are white inside. But can we have Rutabagas too? They are much larger and are yellow on the inside. I wasn't sure if one was considered more starchy or not.

Thanks!

Christine

PS: I've been on the diet for a month and I have lost 20lbs! Awesome! It makes my husband so jealous! LOL
Newfiewife

Postby bdg » November 6th, 2006, 9:55 am

I would say that if it doesn't mention rutabagas in the quick start, then I wouldn't use it. Thats the best rule of thumb to go by.

Congrats on your 20lbs, and let your husband know that there are guys doing this successfully. I have lost over 140 lbs in less than 7 months.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby casma500 » November 6th, 2006, 11:50 am

I concur with bdg on the rutabagas ~ and WAY TO GO on the 20 lbs.!! I am in my first month still so I TOTALLY get your enthusiasm!!! Keep it going!!! :whoohoo: :bananadance:
~ Be Yourself -- Everyone Else is Already Taken ~
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby petladyinRI » November 6th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Looked this up at a nutrition data site. 1 cup of turnips has 34 calories, 8 g carb, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, and 1 g protein. 1 cup of rutabaga has 66 cals, 15 g carb, 3 g fiber, 10 g sugar, and 2 g protein, so that's probably why we can have turnips but not rutabagas. I can only find rutabagas so far in fresh produce, but have found cubed turnip in the frozen vegs.
Sue in RI
"I think I can, I think I can..."
petladyinRI
Trusted Member

Return to Come on in.