toning over 50

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

toning over 50

Postby fairladyj » January 17th, 2007, 11:10 am

ok - 15 days in, 10 lbs gone - WOOHOO! BUT - since this is the fastest I've ever lost weight (yo-yo most of my life), and since I am now well north of 50, but south of 60, I am getting concerned about having lots of flabby skin left later.

Can some other 50+ ladies who have experience with this give me some advice? - I know the "exercise" mantra, but what REALLY works - I don't have the funds, nor am I interested in getting the excess cut off, as some of my friends who have had bariatric surgery have done. I ask because I am losing weight as quickly, or more so, than the surgery folks, and I don't want the same problem!

Jennifer in COLD Michigan
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby MerryMary » January 17th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Good Job, Jennifer! It's encouraging when you see the weight coming off quickly, isn't it? Perhaps you will continue to loose quickly and it may slow down a bit. I'm 59 and I had the same concerns you expressed so I've decided to do some Pilates and weights ... but nothing aggressive. Just want to do some re-shaping as my weight goes down. Another advantage to starting to exercise now is that I'm forming good habits to continue after I reach goal!

The experts can probably give you better advice, but as for me, I think I'll deal with excess skin later IF I have to--right now I can't let that thought sabatoge my efforts to loose weight. But that's just me ... :)

Good luck!
Mary
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby alpha femme » January 17th, 2007, 8:12 pm

richard simmons (yeah, i know...) has a great video/resistance-band workout called 'tone and sweat.' for your age/weight, i would highly recommend it. you can get the video (which comes with the bands) for like $19 at a target or whatever.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » January 17th, 2007, 10:03 pm

I'm doing pilates for the toning, and drowning in Olay body firming lotion...can't hurt! If I end up with more skin than I'd like a year after I'm done losing weight...I think i'll just wear it like a badge of honor. I don't see myself going under the knife, but I'm a big chicken!

I must say that with what I've lost, I'm VERY happy with how the skin is firming up!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » January 18th, 2007, 9:46 am

Um, Jennifer? What makes you think this a problem specific to the ladies over 50? :-) I'm 31, have hit my goal and am happily maintaining, and absolutely have a ridiculous amount of excess skin. I am hoping some bounces back with all the exercising I am doing, but it may not. And then I'll decide how to proceed (although I am totally planning on a few nips and tucks!).

Look, excess skin sucks. But being obese sucks even more. And it's not healthy. And it's a fairly miserable existence. It's hard to walk up stairs, to visit friends, to fit into airplane seats, to sit comfortably at a show or movie, to find clothes, to feel worthy. Excess skin is just ugly. I'll take the tradeoff any day!

:-)

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby fairladyj » January 18th, 2007, 11:55 am

Um, Jennifer? What makes you think this a problem specific to the ladies over 50? :-)

I asked for feedback about over 50 because, as we all know from those commercials on TV, our skin becomes less elastic as we age. The older we get, the less "snapping back".

I just wanted some feedback about what is reasonable to expect - I mean, I know I won't be doing any bikini modeling, but I don't want to look like the "saggy baggy elephant" either!

Thanks for your input

Jennifer in slightly warmer but still icy Michigan
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 18th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Jennifer,

I'm 50 and have lots of extra skin on my upper arms, stomach, and upper legs. I have noticed that it has been tighening up somewhat over the last 6 months and I'm hopeful that it will continue for at least awhile. I've tabled that problem for a year or so when I will decide if I want to do anything about it. By choosing the right clothes, no one needs to know besides me and my husband.

Now, I will be completely honest and tell you that it's distressing to think that I can never wear sleeveless/spaghetti strap tops. I don't care about my stomach or legs so much as I don't wear a bikini or short shorts.

I agree with Lauren, though, when she puts it in perspective re: the alternative. NO CONTEST!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 18th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Lauren wrote:Um, Jennifer? What makes you think this a problem specific to the ladies over 50? :-) I'm 31, have hit my goal and am happily maintaining, and absolutely have a ridiculous amount of excess skin. I am hoping some bounces back with all the exercising I am doing, but it may not. And then I'll decide how to proceed (although I am totally planning on a few nips and tucks!).

Look, excess skin sucks. But being obese sucks even more. And it's not healthy. And it's a fairly miserable existence. It's hard to walk up stairs, to visit friends, to fit into airplane seats, to sit comfortably at a show or movie, to find clothes, to feel worthy. Excess skin is just ugly. I'll take the tradeoff any day!

:-)

Lauren

Lauren, can I ask how long you were overweight for-I mean was it for a relatively short time before Medifast or was it longer?
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lauren » January 18th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Sure, Biki, I'm not shy! My weight has been my life-long albatross. I have had varying degrees of extra weight, lost 25 pounds when I was 11/12 years old, and was skinny for a year. Then put on the weight again. Lost a bunch, I don't know, maybe 40 pounds, when I was in high school...I went to college totally feeling overweight, which I was, but my college friends tell me they didn't notice (they're thin), so I am not sure that I was as huge as I think - but I'm also quite tall, so it spreads out well! I basically have gained and lost weight - usually between 30-45 pounds - a million times, on a million diets, and always eventually gain it back.

A few years ago I took a drastic (what I thought was HUGE) step and went away to the Duke Diet and Fitness Center for like 2 months. It's an awesome program, and I really thought it would change my life and that it would "stick." It didn't. After coming home it was too easy to fall back into old patterns. I even went back there a second time to try to push it again, but it just wasn't meant to be. These last several years, probably between the ages of 22-30, were the years I was truly obese - as opposed to just pretty darn overweight! :-) In fact, I started MF one pound less than the day I started at Duke, which seems crazy to have done all that work and then years later, be at the exact same point.

Anyway, there are certain parts of my body (lower abdomen, especially) that have been fat for what seems forever, and I think that's why it isn't bouncing back at all. Arms have stretched, thighs stretched, all the areas that carried the most weight now have the most skin problems. It's to be expected. But I am 31 now, and have a body (in clothes) that I can be proud of, and I am damn sure I'll do whatever it takes to get the body (out of clothes) to look good too!

:-) Lots of info, sorry, I can't help but be way too verbose on this dang forum!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby bikipatra » January 19th, 2007, 3:41 am

No, thanks for your comprehensive replies. Last time I was on Medifast I didn't get as low as 210 (was 209!!! grrr TOM!!!)which I am now but my stomach was a lot smaller. I know this because I tried on some jeans that I wore when I was down to 214 last time that were hip huggers they were so loose and now they fit but my belly fills them out. When I got up to 256 a lot was belly fat. I guess I asked because I have been operating under the illusion that because I have been overweight for less than 5 years that my skin might have less flappage. I think a lot of that must be genetic too and out of my control. Duh, all of it is out of my control. I am specifically worried about my stomach because it doesnt hang but it PROTRUDES so when it is deflated it will undoubtedly sag. I have considerable dimplage around the thigh area even though they are not that big. I have already discussed possible surgery with my husband to prepare him for what I might need in a year. Or maybe not... I haven't worn a bikini since I was 29 and don't feel like tiny pieces of lycra and spandex are a right, but a privilege. I could always just wear my little skirt coverups like I do now. Thanks so much for your reply.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Serendipity » January 19th, 2007, 5:01 am

Biki, If you stomach doesn't sag, I would be hopeful that it will tighten up over time. After I had my first son, I had a fold of skin and fat that never went completely away and that was after only being overweight for the 9 month pregnancy. My skin has virtually no elasticity. I had huge stretch marks from about 6 months on and by the time I had the little dear, I had stretch marks on stretch marks. :x

The good news: My tummy is smaller now than it ever was except for prepregnancy. There's no fat there.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby bikipatra » January 19th, 2007, 5:06 am

Thanks for giving me some hope Jo....I hope you don't mind that you are my next Leopardization project...I have the teeniest pair of leopard pants I am putting you in...the rest I still have to come up with...
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby VictoriousNat » January 19th, 2007, 5:56 pm

I used to worry about loose skin a lot....a lot.....a lot and I even posted a post just like this one asking folks about it. But now I pretty much agree with Lauren...the trade off of life at a much lower weight is worth the loose skin. Having been overweight then obese my whole life, I have a lot of stretch marks and I think that is a factor - the more stretch marks you have the less likely the skin will bounce back, I think. But I am still hopeful....like DeDe I drown my skin in Oil of Olay, coconut oil, shea butter ...blah blah... I also do light weights to tone up more and I am hoping for the best. But I agree that the fear of the skin should not sabotage my efforts (Lord knows I have enough saboteurs in my life -LOL).

I started acupuncture treatments last month and its fantastic. The acupuncturist has been a real blessing in getting me to stop beaing afraid of THE SKIN. He always tells me to FOCUS - to think about being alive and being healthy - all the things Lauren mentioned (stairs, airplane seats, chasing your kids, etc) and not to focus so much on looking better; he said looking good should be a byproduct of my efforts to get healthy. As hard as it is, he says I have to stop thinking about my skin.
He says every obese person needs to decide that this struggle is a matter of life and death and let living a full live be the FOCUS (he likes that word LOL).
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to Weight Loss