They're heeeeeere!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

They're heeeeeere!

Postby sandys » May 25th, 2006, 4:33 pm

My first box of products I mean.

In a very symbolic gesture, I thew away about 100# of old recipes and cooking magazines to make a special place for my bounty.

As I was reaching for a nice glass tumbler in which to mix my first meal (Choc pudding), I had a wine glass come crashing down. This also seems to somehow be symbolic. Reminds me of the Jewish custom of a newly wed couple to step on a wine glass during their cerimony.

Now here is a problem I need help with. I haven't weighed myself in 6-8 months. I am almost in tears trying to get up the courage to do it. I want to track my progress, but the thought of seeing actual digital proof of my obesity is parallizing.

What should I do? It's late afternoon here. Should I wait for morning? Should I just not weigh and use my clothes as my guide?

Maybe get a new scale? The old one isn't very attractive and I have hated the very sight of it for soooo long.

Aren't I a mess?

Thanks for any suggestions! Sandy
sandys

Postby Elke » May 25th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Sandy, I am so happy you got your first shipment in. I rerally have no idea what to tell you about the weigh in, only that I know its best to weigh in the AMafter you empty your bladder. As far as NOT weighing...that is strictly up to you. I think I read in here the other day that someone does not and has not weighed since starting. You really need to do whats best for you.
I know for me...seeing what I weighed really helped. I am a person that needs to know...good or bad I need to know.
Sorry I wasn't much help but I am glad you are ready for this :)
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Ketann » May 25th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Sandy, I had a dinosaur dial scale, and I just bought a brand new digital one. I love it. The pads where you place your feet were unpeeling on the dino and the entire thing was caked with cat hair and I don't know what else.

I weigh every morning and it is a pleasure, even if I didn't lose, cause I know I will. I'm not saying weigh everyday. At least once a week, especially if you are trying to lose weight. I feel weighing is part of taking care of oneself. Don't be scared and negative about weighing, or what you weigh. Be glad you are doing something about it. Be happy you are going to eat healthy and be be healthier than you have.

Hugs, Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DogMa » May 25th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Definitely weigh before you start (or at least in the morning since you already started). That way you'll see progress right away, which can be very motivating.

But after that, only weigh as often as your psyche can handle it. Some weigh only when they see their doctor, some weigh weekly, some weigh daily. I weigh about eight times a day, because I'm nuts. :oops:

If it's going to upset you when the scale doesn't budge (or when it fluctuates UP), then don't weigh as often. For me, my weight fluctuates all the time; I find it easier to deal with because I weigh all the time and know that if it's up one day, it's not REALLY up. That's also why I don't weigh weekly; what if the day I get on the scale just happens to be the day I'm up 3 pounds for no good reason? It would ruin my week, whereas if I wake up one morning and I'm up 3 pounds from the day (or even night) before, I know I haven't REALLY gained 3 pounds.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby lifelovinaries » May 25th, 2006, 5:19 pm

First I'll say WELCOME SANDY!! Now as for weighing yourself~ it will be a wonderful thing to see the scale going down for a change. So to quote our forum's supermom (oh boy, I hope it really is supermom that says it, if not, sorry guys!) PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES~ just step on the scale. It may hurt but let the pain be a motivator because you know that you are stepping on the scale never to see a number that high again. Be proud that yuo have made the choice to change and stick with it. Good luck! and whenever you need support, we are always here!! :goodluck:

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby lilgorg » May 25th, 2006, 5:28 pm

i had the same problem of not wanting to get onto the scale at first cuz i was afraid of the number. when i saw it, i was even more afraid! but now that i'm losing the weight like crazy, that number is such a thing of the past...just a mere memory.

the one thing i will say is to make sure that you weigh urself around the same time every day that u do get on the scale. so if you get on in the evening the 1st time, always get on in the evening b/c ur weight fluctuates so much during the day. i always weigh (when i do) in the evening right around 6:45pm :) and i try to wear about the same amount of clothing.

good luck honey! as long as u get through the first 3-4 days and stick with the plan, you'll do just fine and then you'll look back at that initial number and have a good laugh!
lilgorg

Postby FORMOMMY » May 25th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Sandy - I totally understand. I was in the same boat and I was petrified to step on the scale and see what it had to say. I knew that I had gone up a few sizes and I knew that I was WAY over what I should weigh, but to see an actual number scared me to death. But as everyone has said, it was good that I did. Yes, I cried and shook my head and felt really bad - but I knew that I had taken a big step in getting in control of my life and my weight.

As many have already said, it helps to see the scale go down - AND IT WILL GO DOWN!!! You do have to know what is best for you as far as how often to weight yourself... I am like Dogma, I could weigh myself 8 times a day because I am nutty - but I try not to do that. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after I have gone to the bathroom. I am buck naked and ready to see the scale go down :)!

You are going to do great! I look forward to saying "I told you so" :D
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Great advice from all of you

Postby sandys » May 25th, 2006, 7:29 pm

( ;) When you are a size 20, Big Girl Panties are all you own!!)

Thanks to all of you. I can feel the sincerity in every post. It is sooo nice to hear from those of you who "been there, done that". I've felt a little isolated in making this decision. My skinny friends don't understand, and my bigger friends don't want to talk about weight. My husband has been supportive, and didn't bat an eye when I chose to make dinner for him and the kids and then did not sit down with them to eat. I just can't do it yet. Maybe in a couple of days.

I think I'll step on the scale in the am. I'll let you know how it goes!
Sandy
sandys

Postby Denise » May 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Sandy..you must face the music and jump on the scale! I know the numbers can be scary...But.... Remember....You are Not in this alone! Everyone here...SOOO ROCKS.....and we are all in this together! Hope to hear more from you soon!

Best of Luck...
Denise
Denise
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 25th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Hi Sandy and Welcome!

I'm so Glad you've joined us! Ask all the questions you need to, we're here for you!

You're DEFINITELY not alone in this, we've all "been here and done that." In fact, most of us are still doing that. We're a big, happy, dysfunctional family!

As far as the scale. I'm GLAD I weighed myself at the beginning, because NOW I know how far I've come. I KNOW it will be painful to get on the scale, Mine felt like a knife in the heart. However, I'm SO glad I did it (and took my accurate measurements), because I TRULY know where I started and JUST HOW FAR I've come in both pounds and inches. It's very motivating.

Also, as someone above me said...for the first couple of weeks, the scale is DEFINITELY a motivating factor to continue. After that, it can make you crazy, so I had to fight REALLY hard to train myself to only weigh a week. What's important is to not let the scale affect your moods at all...if it does, put it away.

I just thought of something. I'm worried that you will regret not knowing where you started...so if you choose not to know your weight...maybe get on the scale with your eyes closed and have someone you trust write it down and not tell you. That way if you are interested later....you can ask them or open the sealed envelope...That way it can't get you down because you don't know, but if you choose or NEED to know, you can!

Anyway, just a thought.

Welcome again!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Mom23 » May 26th, 2006, 4:18 am

:hug: Getting on that scale after a long time of not knowing how much you weigh is a very scary thing. :whattha: I know, I had the scale packed away -- I tried to use the excuse that the scale was in the way, was a dust collector, could make my teenaged daughters obsess over their weight (notice that I thought I was saving my daughters! :roll: ), etc. The fear of the scale is what got me at my starting point to begin with -- if I had really known what I weighed, I would have done :hammerhead: something about it before I did! What a shocker :shock: when I stepped on that scale! But you know what? I'm so glad I did -- I now know from where I started, I know that I was obese, and I know that I will NEVER, EVER let myself see those scale numbers again! 8) It was a great reality check for me :bricks:

Now, take a deep breath, step on that scale, look at those numbers and remember that if you stick to the program, those numbers will be HISTORY -- a memory-- and when you weigh yourself in the weeks to come, you will come to realize all of the 'lessons' you are learning in this Medifast journey... :stroll: Be brave, do it for YOU!!! :thumbsup:
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to Come on in.