The science of it all

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

The science of it all

Postby Determined » September 7th, 2007, 9:38 pm

OK, five days into this diet, and I'm already sickened at the sight of pretty bland 1.5 cups of vegetables and 6 oz. of meat. I would normally only eat half this amount per day (the rest would be cookies). So I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it without splitting it into two meals, and I've run into a lot of questions about the science behind the plan. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Just how many grams of protein/day am I supposed to have? I don't see this in the Medifast literature. I found a formula on-line that says minimum daily protein should be body weight x .37 -- but MF has everyone eating essentially the same amount of protein? If I don't get enough protein, my body will start breaking down muscle, right? I'm wondering if I can choke down only 3oz chicken, can I then add a whole egg (3x week) to make up the difference, or have a protein shake or something?

2. Why 1.5 cups of veggies? It looks like 4 MF meals would provide all the vitamins/minerals needed. Are they just to make you feel full & provide fiber? Can I JUICE them? I may be able to nibble TWO Boca burgers down if I didn't have all the veggie bulk to eat too. Maybe I could juice them every other day along with a fiber drink?

Am I being too obsessive? :D It seems like such a delicate balancing act.
Determined
Regular Member - #10 Club

Re: The science of it all

Postby bikipatra » September 8th, 2007, 1:35 am

Determined wrote:Am I being too obsessive? :D It seems like such a delicate balancing act.

Yes. (Sorry, you asked and no one here has accused me of subtlety!) 5-1-water is the balancing act. Medifast has already handled all the science. It worked for all of us and will work for you. If you need tastier options or ideas for the L&G meal check out the Lean Cuisine section of the board. Drink or eat your 5 supplements a day, have a L&G by the books and watch the weight drop off.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Mike » September 8th, 2007, 4:01 am

.... and the slightly more subtle approach ;)

As Biki said, the science has been worked out (and tweaked multiple times). If you follow the outline given in the Quick Start Guide, you will lose weight. What many people do is choose to vary their lean periodically, and it doesn't seem to slow things. If getting 5 oz of beef or 7 oz of chicken in, then try 3.5 oz of chicken and 1/2 C of cottage cheese. Have a salad instead of cooked veggies. Try some Shiritaki noodles with chicken or pork in it.
Be creative, read the Lean Cuisine section for MANY recipes. I've posted a few in there myself (and many seem to enjoy the Zucchini Pie). :D

Remember, 2.5 to 3 hours - Medimeal or Lean and Green and drink the water.

It works. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby llrickman » September 8th, 2007, 7:03 am

I've posted a few in there myself (and many seem to enjoy the Zucchini Pie). icon_biggrin.gif

MMMMMMMmmmm As a matter of fact thats what im making for dinner tonight lol
Started Medifast June 11,2007

Thank goodness for Bullion
llrickman
Regular Member - #100 Club

Postby Mickeyz » September 8th, 2007, 7:44 am

There isn't much to add as far as the "science", but you have gotten some good advice here.

I will say I have been doing 5/1 for nearly 5 months and have not become at all bored with L&G. There are so many options. I can see where steamed veggies every night would become tiresome! I love doing salads with nice grilled chicken on top or tuna. There are some very good low carb type salad dressings to give some changing flavors.

Start experimenting and you will find some things that work for you. Don't worry about the "science", that is the beauty of this plan, it is simple and easy to follow AND IT WORKS!

Good luck.
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Determined » September 8th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Mike wrote: If getting 5 oz of beef or 7 oz of chicken in, then try 3.5 oz of chicken and 1/2 C of cottage cheese.

Thanks Mike! That's what I was hoping to hear. It's not the blandness so much as the sheer VOLUME of the lean portion. It's literally more than I can stomach of just one thing.

And don't hesitate to tell me I'm obsessing -- even though it's what I do best. ;)

Despite my first week of bumbling (not as much lean as I should have, that extra bar I HAD to have, sometimes going 4 hrs between eating), the weight is coming off.
Determined

Postby llrickman » September 8th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Im just curious do you have the meatless options guide? There is a lot of stuff on there so you can make different things it can give you lots of ideas for your L&G
Started Medifast June 11,2007

Thank goodness for Bullion
llrickman

Postby Determined » September 8th, 2007, 5:01 pm

llrickman wrote:Im just curious do you have the meatless options guide? There is a lot of stuff on there so you can make different things it can give you lots of ideas for your L&G

I have the Meatless Options lists from the Medifast site. I've tried the Boca burger, but didn't have room to eat more than one. I'm going to try EggBeaters if I ever get to the store.

I fill up too fast to eat 5-7 oz protein + 3 servings veggies at once. I'll try sneaking 1/2c celery into MF soup, tomatoes into the chili, 1oz chicken into soup -- just to cut down on the amount I have to eat at L&G time.

It's not lack of variety so much, but the volume that I'm having trouble with. Maybe if I juice the veggies I'll be able to eat as much protein as I'm supposed to. Or resort to eating two smaller meals instead of one.
Determined

Postby Mike » September 8th, 2007, 5:12 pm

I had gastric bypass almost 4 years back and so my stomach is smaller. This is why I tend to mix half solid meats with half cheese or egg. Tofu is good to use also.

Keep beng creative and you will make it work best for you. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Weight Loss