TEsting blood supplies

Questions/Comments about Diabetes Products.

TEsting blood supplies

Postby sidrah » May 11th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Hi all,

My mom died on Easter. She was sick, but dying this soon was not at all planned. Therefore, she had months and months worth of supplies. She had tons of those littel alcohol pads and things you squirt your blood into and pop in the machine to check it out. She also had the needles you pop in to prick your finger. I would hate to waste anything. Obviously, the alcohol pads would be usable, but the ohter stuff might benefit someone.

I don't need it, but I was thinking of keeping the little machine since I am always curious about checking my blood sugar. It is always low! Annoying and probably explains a lot, but I like to check anyway.

I suppose the brand of machine matters, but if anyone is iterested, let me know. I am happy to share.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » May 11th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Sidrah, I'm very sorry about your mom. It was just the anniversary of my mom's death, so I know what a huge loss it is.

But how wonderful of you to think of others even now. And what a tribute to your mom.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Arklahoma » May 12th, 2006, 2:41 am

Sidrah ~ Thanks for posting and for the offering of your families supplies. If anyone needs them, I'm certain that they'll let you know. I lost my mother in 2000 and my father in 1995 ... It still hurts almost every day. I pray for comfort and happiness for your family.
Arklahoma

Postby MusicalMomma » May 12th, 2006, 5:15 am

Sidrah, I am so sorry you lost your mother. I hope you have a wonderful network of support at home. I pray comfort and peace for you and your family.
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 12th, 2006, 6:31 am

Sidrah~ You are in my prayers. I am so very sorry for your loss. You are such a thoughtful person to think of others during this time.

Let us know if you need anything.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 7:29 am

Sidrah you are in my prayers and I wish you and your family peace during this time.

Keturah

Postby MISSANNE » May 12th, 2006, 10:13 am

So sorry about your loss. I'm in Gilbert just a town away. If there's anything at all I can do, please PM me and let me know.
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby Drama Queen » May 12th, 2006, 10:17 am

Sidrah,

I am so sorry to learn of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I live with and take care of my 86 year old mother and every day with her is precious. May you find comfort at this time.
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby FORMOMMY » May 12th, 2006, 3:08 pm

I am so sorry for your loss - please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Jan » May 12th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Hi Sidrah,
I know it is never easy to part with a parent. I just lost my Dad and even though he was 100 -- I was not ready to part with him at all. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself now.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Your really sweet!

Postby Ginabobina1969 » May 12th, 2006, 8:04 pm

I just wanted to send some Virtual gigantic (((HUGS)) and tell you how sweet I think you are too be offering to help someone else out when I am sure your still feeling very deeply the loss of your dear mom. I am so sorry for your loss and I want you to know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Bless your Heart!

Hug,
Gina
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby sidrah » May 13th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Well, thanks everybody. I swear I am not a sympathy hound. I just thought I could help out a little. She had cancer and I guess it just spread and attacked everything. Within 3 days her kidneys went from perfect to completely shut down, which caused her liver to shut down, and also her lungs filled up halfway. So, like I said, we knew she was sick, but to go into the ER cause we couldn't get her to eat or drink adn end up dying 24 hours later was kind of weird. The paramedic asked me if there was a living will or DNR. That is when I figured I should follow them immediately and not stay and clen up he mess they made. NOt that I cared....

Anyway, she thought she was allergic to this new medicine the doctor gave her and we all thought she just had that and needed to get some fluids in. Well, 8 doctors later, we knew something was up. Actually all of my brothers went out to talk to the doctors with my dad. I stayed in the room casue I figured she was aware in and out and would suspect something if someone was not there. She forgot things, so I am sure she forgot the bad stuff and was so upset she couldn't go to work after Easter break (she works in the school district where I work--in special ed office). I really htink she was happy the whole time she was awake the last day cause she just kept talking about work and I think when she was out of it, she was either seeing things in the room or talking to her mom.
The night before, that first night we brought her in, she told the priest to get out cause she didn't need him there...typical.. I don't think she knew how bad it was. My brother said the next day when the priest came back he saw my mom crying during the roasary..I didn't, but if so, that was the only indication anyone ever gave her of being that sick.

We knew she was going soon, that day, and one of her friends was driving in (about 90 minutes away) from Tucson. So, we kept telling her Katie was coming, just stay awake so she can say hi, and she died abut 3 or 4 minutes after Katie got there. So, I really think she just waited to say goodbye and then was ready. It sucks but, she was only really realy in pain fo rthe last few days and didn't know how sick she got. It was better than weeks in the hospital. I am getting my doctorate in Ocotber; I jsut wish I had done it sooner. But, who knew. She was 60 and I thought I had time to bring her to graduation.

Great, now that I am crying again....Sorry, but I guess I wanted to explain more than anyone asked! Thanks for all the words. Ignore my typos, I can barely see what I am typing.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » May 13th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Oh, Sidrah, my heart goes out to you. Both my parents died very suddenly; my dad went out to dinner with my mom for a belated anniversary dinner, then came home and went to bed. She went in about 20 minutes later and found him dead on the floor.

She had chest pains one night when I was visiting and didn't tell me until the next morning. We had a big fight and I told her I wouldn't speak to her unless she went to the doctor, and I left and went home. The next morning she went in, and they checked her into the hospital. First they said she had fluid in her lungs, then they said it was congestive heart failure. No big deal, people can live with that for years, and they just wanted to do an angiogram. She had a heart attack during the test, but still they said she was OK and would go home in a day or so. Next thing we knew, she was in the ICU and she died that night.

Nothing can prepare you for the death of a parent, and I think you're never ready for it (as evidenced by Jan). Take care of yourself, and do whatever you need to do. We're all here if you need anything or want to talk, and please don't worry about looking like you're looking for sympathy. Many of us have been there, and like someone else said: I miss my parents every single day, even though they died in 1992 and 1994. It's easier now, but to be honest, I still have the occasional "I want my mommy" day. I've missed her a lot since I started Medifast - I know she'd be so proud of me, and when I'm successful, all I want to do is call her and tell her.

So be prepared in October; sometimes the happiest times are also the saddest. Your loss will hit you at the most random times, but it WILL get easier, I promise.

Take care.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Arklahoma » May 14th, 2006, 6:30 am

Sidrah ~ You are no sympathy hound, trust me. I'd be willing to bet that you even feel a little better after getting all of that out. You will get past the pain, but it just takes time and it's such a new wound. Feel free to talk, post, scream, cry, or anything you want to do. Nothing prepares you for the loss of a close family member so you just have to go through the motions until it gets a little easier.

I'm like DogMa, I lost my dad and mom in 1995 and 2000, respectively, and I still have days where I genuinely pick up the phone to talk with them only to remember that they're not here. The emotions come flooding back at the most random times but it does get easier. Let me know if I can be of service in any way. No request is too small.
Arklahoma

Postby sidrah » May 14th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Yeah, no kidding about flashbacks. She wanted to be cremated, so we had a mass and did all the stuff excpet putting the casket in the ground. Today, we did the thing where they bury the urn. I was going to call my mom and ask her if she wanted a ride over with me...

We went out for breakfast after and I was just waiting for the waitress to ask if my mom was coming later on or make some reference to that cause my brother might just have killed her. I was telling one of my other brothers that and he said he was watching for that all day, too...we all thought alike.
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to Diabetes