Tai Chi

Fitness and Exercise

Postby sudaoning » September 13th, 2004, 8:26 am

Great Idea Tim!!

Ok, let me chime in here about Tai Chi.
I've been taking a class for nearly 3 years. When I attended the first one I thought it was almost a joke. How could this stuff POSSIBLY have any impact on my body???? Very unlike traditional exercise. I was sooooo WRONG.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has a class available.
Calorie wise, from what I have found the it's similar to walking. You can practice anywhere. No equipment needed. The gentle stretching and flexing of joints is awesome. Good for anyone, in shape or not. Warning. Much more challenging than it initially appears but do-able for anyone. Excellent start for someone out of shape and looking just to get started moving too.
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » September 15th, 2004, 12:32 am

Thanks for the info, Donna.

I was always afraid to try some of the exercise classes at the college - some seemed like it took a lot of coordination. Tai Chi sounds like it would be fun and possible for people of all ages and all abilities.

Are there video tapes available for folks who want to play the home version? If so, which tapes would you suggest?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby sudaoning » September 15th, 2004, 4:47 am

There are video tapes, but I am afraid I do not have much experience with them. I have been told that much of the material available has been watered down and / or changed from the original ancient forms.

Erle Montague has a web site offering extensive video education at Tai Chi World:

http://www.taijiworld.com/Free/taijiquan_beginner.htm

I would recommend MTG1, the basic Yang Chen Fu form level 1. Anyone can practice at this level. It can even be modified to suit special needs. Just practice at whatever level you can. But as you can see from the web site, this stuff can be carried as far as one wishes to go, and has health, martial arts and healing applications, often overlapping.
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 17th, 2004, 7:23 am

Thanks for the link, Sudaoing. It looks interesting and I'll spend some time taking it in. Nice to see someone in "The Gymnasium". I don't remember it -- is it new?
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby DutchChoc » September 17th, 2004, 7:25 am

AH... yes it IS new. Great idea. Hope we get buffed on the way in and buffed on the way outta this place. Now THAT would be something.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Return to The Gymnasium