Swimming

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Swimming

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » August 28th, 2004, 10:20 am

Alright here's a question I have been pondering--LOL I would really love to learn to swim. Am I too old to unlearn a fear of water? I was always under the impression that learning to swim was something you did as a youngster, but it's a dream i haven't quite given up on, and for whatever reason, medifasting makes me a little braver about many things! LOL
When I was a kid, things went one of two ways--if my MOM was teaching me to do something (swim) and I cried, she petted me and did not encourage me to pursue it. If my DAD was teaching me (to ride a bike) and I cried, he'd be infuriated and...well..LOL..let's just say I am a very good bike rider to this day! LOL
At any rate, I would love to swim as part of my fitness quest, but wondered if anyone here had learned after their teenage years and how it went for them. I'm only 31, but I have that "can't teach an old dog new tricks" attitude. ;)

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » August 28th, 2004, 12:04 pm

Susanna,

My Daddy learned to swim when he was 42 years old - he was very afraid of being in the water initially but he learned to enjoy it. He grew up in an area of Colorado known as "The Dry Lands" - LaJunta and since they barely had enough water for their cattle and stock, he never had the opportunity to learn to swim.

He enjoyed being on the water - we had a cabin cruiser, we fished in lakes and streams but had just never gotten around to taking the big plunge.

You are much younger and you have the DESIRE - you can do it, Girl!

You can do all that you set your mind to do. You are successfully Medifasting - you can do it all!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » August 28th, 2004, 1:05 pm

Oh Suzanna!

Do it! It's such an accomplishment to conquer fear and you'll feel like a kid again splashing around freely in the water! My Grandmother always told me not to worry about being old. She said we are old when we are 85 or so. THEN you worry about your body and mind aging. Until then, worrying about it is a waste of time. Time is too precious. As I said before, I won't get into a bathing suit unless it's at gunpoint so I'm wearing my hubbie's surf swim shorts with a XL t-shirt. It's great because I'm not so self-conscious, and it protects me from sunburning too! It's not smart to get a lot of sun. Soon I'll be getting into that new swimsuit without duress.

Learn to swim or to just go into the pool holding onto the edge to kick your legs for exercise. I hope you do! It gives you those long slender dancers' legs, and it's SOOOOOOO REFRESHING!!!!! :heart:

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » August 28th, 2004, 8:23 pm

Camille ~

You make me snort!

What's this no-bathing-suit-unless-it's-at-gunpoint business all about?

You must be looking mighty fine - MIGHTY FINE, Girl!

You have lost a tonnage and I just think that you must be really hot by now if you are wearing your husband's surf shorts and his T Shirt - we'll have to work on that noggin' of yours to help you realize that you are nearing your goal and very soon you will be struttin' your stuff in a bathing suit!

Yeah, Susanna - go for a dive! There are a lot of water aerobic classes around here at the community centers - try it!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » August 29th, 2004, 11:37 am

Nancy I had to laugh about the Drylands! Arkansas is not known for lovely beaches! LOL We have a few lakes, and I suffered through teenage years by working on my tan when my friends and I went to the lake (summer pastime for many years). I had a great tan. LOL
I always wanted to swim, and it wasn't a weight issue because I wasn't heavy then, I was just a fraidy-cat!
But I am encouraged by these replies and think I will pursue it! That way I'll be prepared for our MMT vacation next year! If we go someplace tropical I'll be SET!

Susanna :devious:
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Weight Loss