Sugar make you sick?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Sugar make you sick?

Postby SPMUSTANG » July 30th, 2006, 9:44 pm

First of all, I must admit I am not perfect. I try hard but I can't seem to resist licking the spoon when I make brownies or a birthday cake or sneaking a bit of cookie dough when baking cookies. BUT, I regret it almost immediately. Within minutes I get nausea and horrible cramps in my stomach. And the gas pains---WOWEE! not to mention the inevitable aftermath of horrid gas pains.

Does this happen to anyone else? My husband keeps asking me when I'll learn and finally stop licking the spoon. We both know it is a reflex honed from years of tasting my cooking wares each stage of the preparation which will take time to conquer. If this happens, do you know why? Our theory is that my gut is filled with lots of sugar loving boogers and when they get that sugar they go nutz producing lots of gas.

So has anyone else had this issue? Why does it happen? And does anything, except not licking the spoon in the first place, help?
SPMUSTANG
Regular Member - #70 Club

Postby DogMa » July 30th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Sorry. I've only had sugar a couple of times in the past year, but sadly, I've never had any problems from it. I don't have the bad reaction to fatty foods that some people seem to experience, either. I kinda wish I did.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » July 30th, 2006, 10:47 pm

I don't have that, but it sounds similar to what gastric bypass patients have called dumping.
There also my be the possibility that if you are taking in lots of sugar substitutes and then have real sugar, it may cause your body to react to the real thing.
Just possibilities. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Headaches

Postby gillian » July 31st, 2006, 12:12 am

When I eat sugar now, I get these massive migraines and have to take the Imatrex injection, that makes me puke, then I sleep, then I want to kick myself for eating sugar...
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Re: Headaches

Postby Mike » August 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm

gillian wrote:When I eat sugar now, I get these massive migraines and have to take the Imatrex injection, that makes me puke, then I sleep, then I want to kick myself for eating sugar...

I remember having to give those to Di. We switched to the pills years ago, and other additional things to help keep them from happening. Has your Dr. suggested anything besides the shots?
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

injections

Postby gillian » August 3rd, 2006, 9:11 am

I have done the pills, the nasel spray and now the injection. With the exception of the puking, it works. When I eat sugar, I KNOW what will happen- sometinmes I amaze myself... I should consider going to play on the highway when I want to eat it- it would feel just as good. YUCK!
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby Diana » August 10th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I hear ya, gillian! I went off plan for about 3 days 2ish weeks ago, and I've had a migraine every day for at least the last week. No fun at all. (I prefer the shots but they're just too gosh darn painful -- and none of the other medicines worked very well, so had to go back to the pills. Nasal spray didn't seem to work at all.)

As for feeling crampy and gassy when eating regular sugar, my only experiences with it on this plan were one spoonful in my coffee when I was SO tired I seriously didn't realize what I had done until I figured out why it tasted so darn good! (I don't remember if I had gas and cramping, honest!) The other time was the aforementioned snafu from which I'm still recovering. The stuff in sugar free candy seems to really set me off, though!

When I was on Mike's gastric bypass diet with him a few years back, I was up really late sometime in early November with lots of leftover trick-or-treat candy. Since Mike was already in bed, I decided to help myself to the candy while I worked and got to experience my own dumping episode! Nausea, sweats along with chills, heart and head pounding... nasty stuff! At least a migraine I got drugs for, but THIS! It didn't hurt as bad as a migraine, but I really thought I could die!

I'm wondering if your cramps, etc, could be from the fat. I get what you describe after I've eaten too much fat like from a restaurant meal.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Weight Loss