A slightly diminished pep in my step!

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby Serendipity » March 9th, 2007, 4:13 am

Those NYC Drivers!!! :x :x :x

I can't even imagine how sore you are right now, but I'm sore just thinking about it.

I always worry about my son running around on those streets with the maniac drivers, cabbies, busses, etc. Of course he thinks he's invincible.

Take care of yourself, Lauren, and don't worry about the exercise, you'll be back to yer ole self in no time.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby DogMa » March 9th, 2007, 8:42 am

Lauren!! I just saw this, and I'm so sorry (but so glad you're going to be OK). Take it easy, and I hope you'll be as good as new in no time.

And one word: TREADMILL.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Amber » March 9th, 2007, 11:07 am

Geez, Lauren, so sorry to hear of this accident!
You'll be back in step in no time; stay mentally tough, you are doing great!
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Lauren » March 9th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Thanks so much, to all of you, for your support! Yeah, I've always been a positive outlook kinda gal - life if way more pleasant when you assume a "best case scenario" mentality!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby SuzyQ66 » March 9th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Lauren - so glad you are okay. I hope you have a speedy recovery. :rose:
Sue
SuzyQ66
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby lauradr » March 10th, 2007, 5:00 am

Lauren, I just read this I'm so glade your OK--Stay away from the Tylanol OK----LOL
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Lauren » March 15th, 2007, 9:17 am

It's amazing how affected I've been by my inability to exercise since last Monday's accident. I've been able to walk (not quickly), but I am not able or allowed to do any additional exercising, except for the stretching exercises the rehab guy gives me. I have felt lethargic, cranky, frustrated, and truth be told - FAT. The feeling fat thing is twofold: first, just not being active and moving for 10 days in comparison to the running I was doing almost daily, has just left me feeling like a sloth which makes me feel big. But the second issue is that I am incapable (physically) of sucking in my tummy or tightening my abdomen, because it uses back muscles which are not currently able to be used, so I feel I have a perpetually distended belly, which sucks. I feel more self-conscious in my tight fitted clothing, because I can't stand up nice and tall with my shoulders back and my stomache tucked in.

Anyway, last night I had another rehab/PT appt, and I was told prior to it that if I felt up to it, and wasn't in too much pain, he'd *consider* letting me get on the recumbent bike for a short time. I was so excited! Fortunately I was indeed feeling up to it, and he put me on for 5 minutes, and it was GREAT! He laughed and said he'd leave me alone for those 5 minutes because he could tell I would cherish the time! :-) I feel sore today (as expected), but so good.

Here's what I figured out and learned: all the exercising and running that I've been doing for these last months hasn't just toned my body, it's toned my ego and self-esteem. It doesn't just make me look good, it makes me FEEL good about myself, and I take tremendous pride in being this athletic/active woman. I want to shout it from the rooftops that I am a runner, that I make a conscious choice to do this thing that I never thought I could do, and that so many people can't or won't do. This exercising and running is so clearly attached to my ego, that these last days without it have left me bruised, emotionally, even more than physically.

Anyway, I am on the mend, and I see improvements every day, and I know that a good run is just around the corner. In the meantime, I will cherish my 5 minutes or more on a recumbent bike, as if it were a marathon!

Sorry for the dissertation!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby nickieluv » March 15th, 2007, 9:25 am

Lauren, that's a great realization for you, and a great wake-up to all of us who really are sloths and can't stand to even walk let alone run! (OK, so maybe that's just me, I shouldn't speak for others.)

It's ironic that I read this at my desk, after deciding I wasn't in the mood for my lunchtime walk today. And now I'm out of time for it! Thank you for giving me more reasons to exercise besides 'I should.'
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DonicaB » March 15th, 2007, 9:29 am

Lauren~ I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. I can't imagine how this has taken you out of your comfort zone. Hang in there and allow your body time to heal properly. You will get back to your normal routine soon enough.

Take care,

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 15th, 2007, 9:31 am

Lauren, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know I felt awful when I stopped running (or even really walking) for a few weeks. Is there anything else you can do? Swim, maybe? If not, then just try to relax and I'm sure you'll be back in action as soon as you're able.

And you're still a runner, even if you aren't able to run at the moment.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » March 15th, 2007, 11:47 am

Thanks so much, ladies, for your support!

Nickieluv, you'll get there. First you have to force yourself, but then out of nowhere, one day, you'll actually crave it, I promise! It won't always be the case, and I can't even say I felt like dragging my sorry butt out of bed to run in the morning, but most days you'll really want it, and you'll miss the endorphins!

Thanks, Donica, for your kind words. And you hit it on the head - I am total type A control freak and this whole thing has been out of my comfort zone. That's definitely a part of the problem! If I "chose" to not exercise for a week, it'd be fine (well, not good, but you know what I mean), but since this wasn't by choice, I'm frustrated and off-kilter!

Robin, thank you so much for calling me a runner, still! God, I sound like such a dork, but that totally meant something to me! I can't swim or anything like that because it involves a great deal of arm movement, and the arms going over head is part of the problem. That's another reason why I can walk but not run, because we swing our arms and shoulders when we run, and my injury is back and shoulder. Alas, it will come...

Thanks again, folks, your support is much appreciated!

lauren
Lauren

Postby DogMa » March 15th, 2007, 1:39 pm

I totally understand. I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm a runner and an athlete, but it's SO important that I be those things. I've seen a fat person run, but I don't think I've ever seen a fat RUNNER.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Tawanda » March 15th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Lauren, I was thinking of you and hoping you'd pop in with an update. If you hadn't, I was going to find this thread and bump it up, asking for an update.

I'm so sorry that you are still experiencing so much discomfort and pain. I do believe that your weight loss and exercising must have aided in keeping you from being injured so much worse than you were. I also believe that a true athlete will chomp at the bit and miss their exercising & activity level an awful lot when something happens to disrupt their ability to do what they wish to do.

YOU are an athlete. YOU are a fit person. YOU will, once again, be active as you wish to be, as soon as your body heals from this injury.

I hope it is soon so that you'll be back to feeling great and enjoying yourself.

My best to you!
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby bdg » March 15th, 2007, 7:04 pm

lauren, it is great to hear that you are on the mend and doing well. You can credit the rapid improvement that you have made to your fitness level and running! Your athleticism has helped you. I look forward to your updates on your progress and hope that it continues at such a pace.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » March 15th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Lauren,

I'm SO GLAD you're okay. I know what you mean about weight popping into your head at the weirdest times.

Rest up, get better! Hope you have cute PT people!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance