Ready...Set...Almost Going

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Ready...Set...Almost Going

Postby Determined » August 31st, 2007, 1:44 am

Hello all :) This looks like a great forum to keep me motivated!

A month ago I had to shop for another pair of slacks I could fit into. It was so depressing seeing all those cute clothes I couldn't even think of trying on. Then I saw a Medifast infomercial and read all sorts of great things online about it. I've about 2.5 months' worth of MF stored up, got a food scale & a George Foreman grill, Flavor Drops, recipes, put a new battery in my scale (though I haven't had the nerve to step on it yet). I'm ready!

Next Tuesday I start (thought I'd better wait until after my birthday, even though I'm itching to get on with it).

After much searching, I found THE CHEAPEST site for DaVinci & Torani syrups -- $3.99 to $4.99 for a large bottle! Thought I'd pass it on to you SF syrup-lovers.<Snipmaster - no URL's please>

Thank you for all the recipes I've found in this forum! I hope to contribute some as I get into the swing of it all. I'm a little nervous about how the MF food is going to taste, but I figure I can choke 8 oz of anything down :D
Determined
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » August 31st, 2007, 3:34 am

Welcome!!! I think it is great that you are getting familiar with the board before you start. Make sure you read your Quickstart guide too. It is full of helpful info. And certainly ask as many questions here as you would like!
Thank you for all the recipes I've found in this forum! I hope to contribute some as I get into the swing of it all. I'm a little nervous about how the MF food is going to taste, but I figure I can choke 8 oz of anything down

If the supplements tasted like chili cheese fries, everyone would be skinny. I hope you find some supplements that you like, but sometimes when I am burnt out on the flavors, I consider it "beauty pain." Kind of like getting a bikini wax or wearing 4 inch Prada heels.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Hopebaby » August 31st, 2007, 6:35 am

Hi, and welcome! I just finished week 3 and I wanted to tell you that you become accustomed to the taste after just a few days. My first day I was a little put off but after the 2nd day I didn't notice anything unusual. I bought a bunch of syrup and have only used it on one of the oatmeals that I don't care for. I haven't had to doctor up anything else except I do add cinnamon to the cocoa but I have never really liked any cocoa so that doesn't count.

Good luck and as Biki said read the Quick Start guide, over and over if you need to! People here will answer questions too but you don't always get instant answers so keep your guide handy.

Linda
SD 8/10/07
205/175/130
Hopebaby
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mickeyz » August 31st, 2007, 7:34 am

Hello and Welcome! :)
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » August 31st, 2007, 1:53 pm

Hi! Glad you found us! :wave:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Determined » September 1st, 2007, 1:41 am

The only question I have right now is condiments. I printed out the Condiment Portion Size Recommendations from the official MF site, but it's soooo confusing and absolutely everything is included on it - from ketchup to herbs to baking power. Then there's a section on Oils & Fats that count as a fat serving, then Additional Fats/Oils that do NOT count as a fat serving -- then it goes back to Artificial Sweeteners & Additional Condiment Options.

Does this mean Oils & Fats are condiments as well as fat servings? Do the "Additional Fats/Oils that do not count as a fat serving" count as condiments? I don't know why these are in the middle of the condiment list.

The thought of eating oatmeal makes me gag, so I was counting on making muffins or cookies from it... but it seems one serving would contain most if not all my condiments for the day!

Some of the condiment serving sizes are much more than I'd ever use (45 basil leaves?!) so I'd end up with fractions of servings allowed and it's all just very confusing. I'm tempted to use whatever I need for the muffins and very sparingly elsewhere and just not worry about it.

What do you-all do with condiments? How important is adherence to this? Is there a simpler way to figure them out than MF's list?

Thanks for any help!
Determined

Postby bikipatra » September 1st, 2007, 3:05 am

Okay, first for the fats. Some lean and green options, like egg whites, call for additional fats. These fat servings would NOT count as condiments. The "Additional Fats/Oils that do not count as a fat serving" count as condiments. Yes, it is difficult to stick to the three condiments or less rule. As you can see though, depending on the condiments chosen, the calories could add up if they were not limited. Imagine if cream cheese was "all you can eat." Other condiments also have fats or sugars which can add up. Barbeque sauce and ketchup have sugars for instance. On the other hand, I never measure something like a squirt of mustard which has zero calories, zero carbs and zero fat. I guess the condiment rule also teaches us moderation which will help us in our new healthy lifestyle. Honesty time? I use about 6 condiments a day. Three servings of half and half, a glass of Crystal Light most days, one packet of Sweet N Low at Starbucks and Wishbone Salad Spritzer. I track all of these on Fitday and stay within my calorie and carb limits. (I know you don't HAVE to count carbs and calories on Medifast but some of us do it anyway!)
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » September 1st, 2007, 2:02 pm

Hi Determined and welcome. You have gotten some great advice and answers here so far.
Since you were on Medifast before they have changed the Lean and Green section a bit and now, based on fat content of the lean, they broke the lean into three categories... lean, leaner, and leanest. Anything in the leaner category you add one serving of fat (like cooking oil or dressing) and for anything in the leanest category, you add two.

Check the condiment list in the Lean Cuisine section here, it might help clarify things. You may want to download the new quick start guide from medifast or TSFL depending on which part of the company you order from (believe it or not, the two are a bit different).

Good luck and hope to see your success.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Determined » September 1st, 2007, 9:14 pm

Thanks bikipatra, that's very helpful!

(Sorry, snipmaster)
Determined

Postby Sojourner » September 1st, 2007, 9:58 pm

Hi there, Determined! :wave:
Welcome to the best support forum in the history of the world!
...and I'm not exaggerating even a little bit! :D

I would suggest that once you do step on the scale that you also record your measurements. It is really motivating to realize how many inches you've lost along the way. And you will. Also, at times your body will need time to adjust to the rapid changes you're putting it through, and the scale won't reflect much of a loss. It's at those times that you can check your measurements and compare them to those you took previously. You'll really be able to see your progress. It's really helped me quite a bit along the way.

BTW, thanks for the url - I got it before Mr. Snippy got to it. :mrgreen: You're right - there are some really good prices there! I'm gonna' put it back up for those that didn't see it, 'cause I know a lot of forum members use the flavored syrups. Here's how to post an url without upsetting the snipmaster:

www dot lollicupstore dot com forward slash davincisyrups dot html

Check it out, y'all.

...and welcome, again, Determined.
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby Determined » September 3rd, 2007, 10:36 am

Going NOW! I started a day early. Steeled myself as I stepped on the scale. Hey, it's not as bad as I thought it would be! Got a grip on myself as I tasted my first MF meal... dutch chocolate shake. Hey, it tastes like chocolate cake batter! So I'm having a good day so far :)

Determined

Postby bikipatra » September 3rd, 2007, 11:17 am

Good for you! I am glad too that you found a supplement right off the bat that you like.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » September 3rd, 2007, 11:41 am

Sojourner wrote:BTW, thanks for the url - I got it before Mr. Snippy got to it.

Darn... guess I was too slow that time.... :x
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.