question for the experts...

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

question for the experts...

Postby summerdays » August 13th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Ok... so I ordered the shakes and they should be here in the next 2 days. My question is.... Is anyone here doing the full fast instead of the 5 and 1 plan? And if so are you under doctor's supervision? I am 23, and healthy as can be other than being 100 lbs overweight, so i am wanting to do the full fast for now, possibly 16 weeks to get a lot of this weight off and not to have to even WORRY about COOKING for now. I want a complete break from my obsession with food for now! I would rather not be under doctor's supervision because of limited funds and very limited time for doc appointments right now. Thanks for reading!
summerdays
First Post

Postby DogMa » August 13th, 2006, 7:14 pm

There are several here on the full plan, so they can answer more fully. But you really do need to be under a doctor's supervision to do it.

There's supposed to be little or no difference in weight loss between the two plans. So you'll lose plenty quickly on the 5-1.

There are also plenty of non-cooks here who can give you advice on handling the lean and green with a minimum of preparation.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DogMa » August 13th, 2006, 7:14 pm

And welcome!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Lauren » August 14th, 2006, 10:14 am

Hey, Summerdays...welcome aboard! Definitely going to agree with Robin (Dogma) about the doctor's supervision. The full fast is very calorie restricted, and you need to have your bloodwork and more monitored...as there could be reactions in your body that you may not notice. Also, like Robin said, people have pretty much the same weight loss success doing the 5&1 as they do the full fast. I certainly do not want to push one option over the other, because I never did the full fast, but I am not sure that completely detaching ourselves from food is the best way to go for long term results. The benefit to having to deal with a Lean & Green each day is that it forces us to be aware of food's role in our lives, and how to make smart choices. This will *hopefully* better prepare us for the real world of maintenance. I am sure some other full fasters will be able to give you their experiences, which I know have also been very positive, this is just one girl's opinion.

Whatever you decide, congrats on taking a giant step towards all good things. Good health, good body, good stuff!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Lauren » August 14th, 2006, 10:18 am

Oh, and I've been on the 5&1 for 39 weeks, and I can count probably on my two hands the number of meals I've actually cooked for myself in all that time. I can certainly give you a million and one pointers towards eating out, take-out, friends/family dinners, and easy at home prep stuff...

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Arklahoma » August 14th, 2006, 6:04 pm

I've been doing the full fast, all along, and heartily recommend it for people with food issues; however, it does REQUIRE a doctor's supervision. Even a normal, healthy person can react adversely to the low calories (I average 450 - 750 per day) and temporary fluid/electrolyte imbalances. If you can't afford MD supervision right now then definitely do the 5/1, although it is recommended that you see your physician with this plan, as well.

:goodluck:
Arklahoma

Postby supermom » August 14th, 2006, 8:26 pm

I am with Ark on this. I have been on the FUll Fast. Not working really well for me. I went to the doc a couple weeks ago. My blood work was not good. Iron low, potassium low, sodium high, gosh, lots of stuff that by itself is small but all together, is BAD. Had I not been seeing my doc, I would have had a MAJOR health crisis by now. I am not exactly on plan right now, trying to straighten out my blood and then decide what to do. So, most definitely, find a way to see a doc if you are going to do the full plan. Your life is too valuable.
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby supermom » August 14th, 2006, 8:28 pm

By the way---Welcome aboard!! And, I don't want to scare you with my story. I have always had an issue with anemia, it just seems to be getting worse for some reason, maybe not even related to the MF. When I had my last child, I went into a condition called DIC which is a bleeding disorder, and I almost died. Anyway, with that said, my own personal health issues should explain away most of my blood issues. But, I need to get it worked out anyway.
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby MISSANNE » August 16th, 2006, 10:10 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Where I'm failing is the L/G part. I do fine all day until it's time for L/G then I go crazy and eat eat eat! Everday I'm doing this cycle.

I want to try and stick to the 6-0 plan but don't want to do the Dr thing either. Is it really that big of an issue? Is it just because of the low calories?

My main reason also is I don't like fixing 2 meals every night. 1 for me and 1 for the kids. I know they should be eating healthy and sometimes its not a problem. Like I'll eat the chicken but not the rice or whatever, etc. But, truth be told, I only cook about once a week. We eat out every night. If I did the 6-0, I could fix them or get them food and me just drink a shake or something.

I don't even eat soup or anything, I drink all chocolate RTD's and 1 bar a day. But, haven't lost becuse everyday I mess up and eat at night!
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » August 17th, 2006, 6:50 am

MISSANNE wrote: ... I want to try and stick to the 6-0 plan but don't want to do the Dr thing either. Is it really that big of an issue? Is it just because of the low calories? ...

If you only wanted to do the 6/0 for a day or two then I would probably support your decision, but to go full steam ahead without MD supervision? No way. It is that big of an issue. You're eating way less calories and you're deeper in ketosis than people that eat real food. Even very healthy individuals have had adverse reactions so you have to be monitored. Dizziness, electrolyte imbalances, the psychological aspect of no real food ... some people just are not meant to do it.

IMHO, get a doc or do the 5/1.
Arklahoma

Postby MISSANNE » August 17th, 2006, 8:59 am

Ok, thanks!

I trust the nurses opinions most! :mrgreen:
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » August 19th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Michelle,

Here is what I did cause I didn't feel like cooking some nights: I went to Safeway and bought .5 individual cups servings of cottage cheese-Knutson or something like that is the company. I have 2 of them and a salad/vegetable combo many nights. They are also good to have during the day at school, then I have a shake around dinner time.

Maybe if you switch the L & G to a different time, you can have leftovers from the night before or an omelette or something and feed the kids while you have a shake or bar. Then, you know you has the meal for the day and don't have to worry about meals with others.

I know how you feel about good all day then trouble at night!
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to Weight Loss