Question about anti-depressants

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Question about anti-depressants

Postby Lisa in NY » August 8th, 2005, 11:43 am

Is anyone on anti-depressants and has that slowed or stalled your weight loss with Medifast?
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sablebaby » August 8th, 2005, 1:00 pm

That is a good question, Lisa. Unfortunately I can't answer you! :D I have wondered that myself though. I went off anti-depressants back in January with complete success of no more depression! I was on them for just over a year. And I have had depression since I was a kid. Now I do get a bit of a low here and there but it goes away after a while.

I lost 100 lbs two years ago and then went on anti-depressants. I gained 130 lbs or so in about 8 months? I don't really blame the drugs as my eating was so out of control the whole time. So, I have been a somewhat happy overweight person instead of a miserable, depressed, sad overweight person. So, I have never tried losing weight while being on the meds, and definitately not MF. I hope someone can tell us their story, as I am curious (as a future psychologist)! Thanks for asking.

Heather
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

anti depressants

Postby Jan » August 8th, 2005, 10:27 pm

Hi there,

Yes I believe certain anti -depressants can lessen weight loss.. But, we must do what we must do. The really important thing is how we function, and if an anti-depressant is necessay than take it and just realize it may slow you down a little. But, you will still lose the weight. There are many things that are much worse than having our weight loss slowed a bit. Lots of necessary medications have the effect of slowing weight loss, and diabetics have a hard time losing weight as well. But, they do lose, just ask Little Miss Texas. Each of us loses at our own rate anyway. Some have metabolism issues as well. So just hang in there. The weight will leave. Leave your medication issues up to your Dr.

jan
Last edited by Jan on August 9th, 2005, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » August 9th, 2005, 10:37 am

Hi, Lisa ~

I am not aware of any studies or comparisons of weight loss rates among individuals who take medications in general, or for those who take anti-depressants specifically.

I will mention this, however. When people take medications or any sort, it is important to ask their doctor how often they need to return for a medication update. When people are losing weight, there are times that some medications are totally eliminated (yuppy!) and others need dosage adjustment.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Thanks!

Postby Lisa in NY » August 9th, 2005, 11:31 am

As always, thank you all for your valuable info!
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

prozac

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Hi Lisa in NY,

I have been on prozac for many years now and on the MF weight loss plan I have consitently lost an average of 3 pounds a week. :)

Return to Weight Loss