Puppy help

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Puppy help

Postby lauradr » September 4th, 2006, 4:47 am

I need puppy help I want to buy my granddaughter A puppy-- What breed would be good for her? she is 3 years old--- I have I Yorkie she is sweet to her -but princess is so small. any suggestions Thanks,
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby VickyJ » September 4th, 2006, 6:44 am

Hi Laura

I would "google" it. I found this site that might be helpful.

http://www dot spotsociety dot org/breeds dot htm

Most everything I read indicated a Lab was the favorite for young children; however, I'd check with the parents of the 3-year old to be sure they are amenable to a large dog!

It is sure nice of you to buy your grandchild a puppy :)
VickyJ
Start Date: 7/8/06 166 Goal: 11/9/06 140

VickyJ
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby loriannk » September 4th, 2006, 10:37 am

We have a yellow lab. She is the sweetest dog. My girls were 4 & 6 when we got her as a puppy and she was fantastic with them. My son was born last May and she just loves him. She sleeps right under his crib like she is protecting him. It is just too cute.

A couple things I was told to do to her from the vet when she was a puppy.
Tug at her ears and tail alot so she gets use to it and wont react when a child does it. We also sat by her and petted her and played with her food when she ate so she would not get protective of her food. Some dogs are real protective when they eat so this helps. We also put our hands in her mouth and played with her snout. Let me tell you it must have worked because she doesnt care what the kids to to her. She is so easy going and just loves them. I think she thinks she is one of them. She follows them when they play inside or outside. Anyway that is my 2 cents about this breed. We love her.

I guess I want to add that be very careful buying smaller dogs as they can get frightened easily and may nip or bite more. At least that is what I found when I was looking for a puppy.

Good Luck!
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Elizabeth » September 4th, 2006, 12:44 pm

I am a pet lover and also a parent. I would ask the parents what type of dog they would like to care for. Good luck.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Aerie » September 4th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Yup, talk to the parents first. A dog is a 14 year or more commitment!

If you purchase get an agreement for 3 days return policy. Take pup to the vet for Physical exam, Fecal parasite screen and TEMPERMENT testing (very important).

Of course I always advocate adoption over purchase. I'm a vet I can't help it. Same things applied here as above.

Good luck!
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Prancer » September 4th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Labs are supposed to be the best dog with kids. We know several people that have them including my sister who has two. Labs are runners usually tho so they would be a committment for the parents too.
Prancer

Postby DogMa » September 4th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing, Doc. Please consider adopting from a shelter, or if you want a specific breed, from a breed rescue organization.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby supermom » September 5th, 2006, 6:48 am

I was going to suggest a lab too. Recently, a lady here in Amarillo called the SPCA and told them she had a bunch of dogs and if they didn't come get them, she would shoot them. Well, they went and got the dogs. Turns out, it was a puppy mill. There were over 40 labs there. All colors, all ages. Some of the females were preggers. The puppies are starting to be born. There is a place here called Critter Camp. The lady who owns it is neutering the pups and having them micro chipped. I wouldn't recommend the older dogs, as they were mistreated, starved and tied up. They probably do not have the temperament to be with young kids. But the puppies, they should be fine. There are a lot of these dogs and I would LOVE to see them go to good homes. You could google critter camp in Amarillo and get their info. You would want to talk to Judy Glidewell. She owns the place. You might could work something out with her.

But, I agree. TALK TO THE PARENTS FIRST!!! I know how badly my kids want a dog right now. But, fact of the matter is, we can't afford to feed anything else right now. Not to mention the mess!!! My kids are not responsible enough or old enough to properly care for a dog and that means I would have to do it all. I just don't have time right now. Maybe later, but not now. Make sure mom and dad are okay with the idea!! Good Luck!
supermom

Postby alpha femme » September 6th, 2006, 9:31 pm

if mom & dad are down-- and she really knows that it's like having a child (could be 18 years of care), then I truly suggest going to the animal shelter.

pure breds are a bastion of genetic disorders. dogs from the pound make amazing pets-- and you would be saving a life. i got my best friend there, and i am grateful every second of my life that i showed up on that day before she was put down. she is my bestestestest friend in the whole world. she is who she is because of the mixture. terrier mixes are high energy but generally sweet an easily trained.

hit the shelter! you can find a lot of puppies and younger dogs there-- but, too be honest, a fixed older dog can be wonderful because a lot of them have basic training and are past their destructive stage.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Return to What's Shakin'