Psyllium Husks?????????????

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Psyllium Husks?????????????

Postby katieb920 » March 28th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Has anyone used Psyllium Husk? Instead of using metamucil.

This is how it reads. Serving Size 2 capsules
Total Carbs 1 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Psyllium Husk Fiber 1 g
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Tawanda » March 28th, 2007, 2:17 pm

I use Benefiber every morning in my coffee. There is a family history of colon cancer and I've had a polyp removed (one of the ones that 'change' into a cancer) so I have been told by the gastroenerologist to take extra fiber each day and Benefiber was one that was on the approved list.

It does have more carbs:

serving 2 tsp.
calories 15
sodium 0g
total carbs 4g
dietary fiber 3g
soluable fiber3g
sugars 0g
Ingredients: Wheat dextrin

It completely dissolves in my coffee, can't tell that I put it in there.....but it does add some carbs to my day. I've no choice on taking added fiber (and the carbs) but it doesn't appear to be messing up my weight loss.

Hope that helps some.....
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

fiber supplements of the gel kind

Postby Seaside » March 29th, 2007, 5:56 am

I use FiberSure, which has a different formula featuring soluble fiber (inulin). I'm not diabetic, but inulin is supposed to be good for diabetics because it doesn't have a big impact on your blood sugar levels. Compared to Benefiber (based on wheat dextrin) it has more calories (25) and carbs (6), however.

I like it because it mixes well with just about anything. People who have IBS have found some benefit from these gel fibers, like inulin or acacia. In fact, here's what Heather, the founder of the Help for IBS website says about these gel fibers:

"Is Acacia high carb? Will it make me gain weight? Can I take it if I'm diabetic?"
For folks who are worried about weight gain, glycemic control, diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), or their carbohydrate intake, Heather's Tummy Fiber™ is a great way to get the benefits of soluble fiber without any carbohydrates or calories. The FDA has declared water-soluble gums such as Acacia to be a good source of soluble dietary fiber, which by definition means that they are not digested in the human gut. However, the FDA has also mandated that the caloric value of gums be declared as a carbohydrate with 4 calories per gram. The FDA is currently being petitioned by scientists on the Calorie Control Council to change this mandate, as it has been established that gums do not contribute calories as carbohydrates do, since gums are not completely metabolized in the body. In plain English, this simply means that though FDA labeling requires all dietary soluble fiber supplements, including Acacia, to list a calorie content, in reality there are virtually no calories in Heather's Tummy Fiber™ at all.
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss