PHAT GIRLS

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

PHAT GIRLS

Postby alohacate » August 30th, 2006, 5:12 pm

I watched the movie Phat Girls last night and was conflicted about the message. I'm all about self love and acceptance - but where do you draw a line when it comes to obesity? Did anyone else watch the movie - what did you think?
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Re: PHAT GIRLS

Postby VictoriousNat » August 30th, 2006, 5:32 pm

alohacate wrote:I watched the movie Phat Girls last night and was conflicted about the message. I'm all about self love and acceptance - but where do you draw a line when it comes to obesity? Did anyone else watch the movie - what did you think?

Mo'Nique really bothers me. I can laugh at some of her jokes, but as a whole....don't care for her and her world view, which she carries like a hammer. Can't comment on the movie, cause I haven't seen it.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby ascicles » August 30th, 2006, 5:44 pm

People who are proud of being fat make me sick.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby MISSANNE » August 30th, 2006, 10:07 pm

EDIT:

I changed my mind about what I was going to say.
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby Elke » August 31st, 2006, 6:05 am

I have not seen the movie but I think there is a difference between being confident in WHO you are and proud of WHAT you look like. I hate that I am fat but I love who I am, soon I will have it all :)
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby alohacate » August 31st, 2006, 10:11 am

The basic premise of the movie was that the main character had to accept her obesity because of her "body type" and race(i.e. in Africa she would be accepted because her size was a sign of wealth). Once she accepted the fact that she would never lose weight she found happiness. On the other hand it showed her "emotional" eating when things went wrong in her life and just eating unhealthy in general. Also, it showed her taking diet pills then eating cookies right after that............. so many mixed messages............ I did like the fact that women were empowered by the message of self love - yet I do not accept the emotional eating, using food as a crutch and overeating. Basically the resolution of the movie hinged on accepting an unhealthy lifestyle. Hmmmmm. Note to self: Gotta make better movie choices in the future.
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby TheShadow » September 1st, 2006, 8:50 am

Loving and accepting oneself is wonderful. Being an unhealthy weight and just basically throwing in the towel on self improvement is not. African Americans have an increased propensity to diabetes (as does my family, although we are white). Mo'nigue (or however she spells it) should spend more time on working to raise awareness of this truly debilitating disease and less time glorifying an unhealthy lifestyle. My friend at work lost her mom (an overweight black diabetic woman) to the disease at the same time I lost mine to complications of the same. Both moms suffered kidney removals and leg amputations in the months prior to their deaths. I am hoping that she will follow my example and lose weight, either with MF or some other way. Our employer offers a bunch of wellness programs to encourage healthy lifestyles and I think I will start going to more of them and casually inviting her to go with me to the seminars, etc. She knows she needs to do it before the diabetes clock runs out on her.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to What's Shakin'