People can be so Discouraging .....=(

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

People can be so Discouraging .....=(

Postby CarmenM » December 26th, 2005, 1:10 am

Hello Everyone!!! Well, first of all I hope that everyone in the forum had a safe and wonderful Holiday!!!!

Well.. I usually don't post that much on the forum because I am a extremly shy.. But I really felt that I needed to post this time.

Yesterday (Christmas day) I went to the movies with my boyfriend Alex and before the movie started we went to take a picture in those little booth things where you can pick cute little designs to go with your picture and all. Well i really loved how the picture came out and i mentioned to Alex that my face really was looking thinner. He ended up taking the picture with him and he showed it to his mom. He asked her if she noticed a difference in me.. She looked at it and said no. Then he changed the subject and asked her if she still had the recite for the clothes she had bought me for Christmas (she didn't know I was losing weight) which of course fit me big now and she’s like “Why, they don’t fit her, is her butt to big?” (UGH!!!! :x ) Alex is like “No, they fit her big!!” and she then asked if I was losing weight and he told her that I had lost 45lbs and she flipped out saying that I couldn’t have possibly lost 45lbs.. That she had seen me and the most I could have lost is like 10lbs!! They sort of got into a little argument about it… So she basically called me a liar because she didn’t believe that I could possibly have lost 45lbs in 3 months when it took her 6 months to lose 40lbs and according to her, I didn’t look like I had lost anything!

I don’t know why I let this bother me but it just hurts you know.. Like I’m doing so good so far and gosh little things like that just discourage me! Why would anyone lie about losing 45lbs! I’m not going to let her words interfere with my progress.. But it really does hurt and I just wish that she could see the effort that I have put on this. I can’t wait to finally get to my goal and shut her up!!! Although I still have a long way to go.. About 100lbs or so…. It’s all going to be worth it in the end!!! I’m sorry if I rambled on for to long.. But I really felt that I needed to let this out and what better place to do so then here with you wonderful people =) You guys are all just so wonderful and supportive.. I thank god for the forum because it really has kept me strong!… Thank you so much for all of you guys that took the time to read this!! God Bless you… :)
~Carmen~

CarmenM
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby ljm498 » December 26th, 2005, 5:30 am

Oh Carmen! Big Big hugs to you. I'm sure you look like you have lost those 45 and are doing great! You hit the nail on the head when you said you lost 45lbs in 3 months and it took her a lot longer to lose the same amount. Jealousy can make some people do or say some really mean things. Don't let it get you down. I know, easier said than done, but YOU know you are doing the best possible thing for yourself and are doing great at it. Just wait until you lose more and more and more. She won't know what to say. But trust me, I know how you feel. My father in law doesn't have an "edit button" in his head and he comes out with some doozies. I don't let him get to me anymore.

Good luck and keep up the great work! I'm sure you look great!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Lisa in NY » December 26th, 2005, 7:46 am

Carmen -

Wow - think very carefully in the future if this woman ever possibly becomes your mother-in-law (I am serious)!

You know what - it really doesn't matter what other people think. I'm having a similar problem - people at work have not said a word about my weight loss - but it all comes down to how YOU feel about yourself. Other people's opinions mean nothing.

You're doing FANTASTIC! When you get to your goal, think of the fun you'll have prancing around in front of her with your smug little smile on your face....and she'll deserve it!

Keep shakin'!

Lisa
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mama2benandrachel » December 26th, 2005, 8:00 am

Lisa is right! If this woman could possibly be your mother-in-law, you need to get thick-skinned! She will NEVER change!!! Plus, mothers are REALLY protective of their "little boys". No one is ever going to be good enough for her baby boy!!!!!

Kill her with kindness Carmen! Either she will come around, or at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are doing everything in your power to be nice!!!!!! It takes a whole lot more energy to be negative than it does to be positive! Plus, being negative all the time will age a person in a hurry! I have seen it!

Keep up the fantastic work! Medifast is the way to go! We ALL know it is! Maybe you can be an inspiration to this woman!!!!
Take care and God Bless,
Judy <><

1st MF start: 9/9/2005
1st restart: 10/16/2006
2nd restart: 9/9/2007

mama2benandrachel
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Thanks you guys...

Postby CarmenM » December 26th, 2005, 8:57 am

Thank you guys (Lynne, Lisa, Judy) so much for replying to my post, it really does mean a lot!

I know it doesn't matter what people think but i don't know.. sometimes we just want the whole world to notice how good we have been doing... I guess it really does only matter how we feel and boy do i notice the difference and a lot of people have noticed it as well, why should i let what she thinks bother me.

Well, i don't know if she will become my future mother in law or not but by the way things are going she most likely will be. Unfortunately when you marry someone, you marry the family as well and in this case i would have to deal with a very complicated and opinionated family.. And yup.. Nobody is good enough for her little boy and she makes that very clear to me.

But anyway.. I wont let her interfere with my journey to thinville lol.. If anything I should use this as encouragement to prove her wrong! But most importantly to better myself and prove to myself that I CAN do this! Thanks Everyone!!!
~Carmen~

CarmenM

Discouraging

Postby Jan » December 26th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Hi Carmen,
Sometimes when dealing with others we have to be careful of our own expectations. I am not telling you it is not great to get encouragement from others but if we let their comments affect us tooo greatly we become discouraged, hurt ,or angry. :x With certain people I no longer even worry about what they are going to say. :D In fact, I kind of wait to see what kind of strange things will come out of their mouths and then have a silent laugh for myself.
My mother in law was soooo funny that once when I had lost some pounds she got out her measuring tape to measure and make sure!! I just laughed to myself. Another time she decided that my hair was dyed. I have naturally blonde hair, and have been a natural blonde all my life. One day she actually found a piece of my hair and very carefully looked if over for color changes. Hmmmmm
My response I just go out to the car and laugh!! If you do marry your current boyfriend, work on seeing the humor in all these strange things and just expect a strange answer. It even gets to be fun -- in a strange way!! :twisted:
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » December 28th, 2005, 3:08 pm

:hug: Dear dear Dearest Carmen Dear ~

:whattha: What's with her? Sheesh! :x That makes me madder than a fly stuck between thermal windows!

Oh, wow! :brickwall: I just read this and had to do a little :felix: walk-about to keep from destroying things when I discovered this post from you.

Yes, you DO deserve a mega :trophy: for not :stickwack: blasting her but more importantly, you deserve a :clap: for not going on an eating rampage and for eliminating her from the face of the earth!

:secret: Honey, I have many little writings posted on my desk that have helped me through so much crappage over the years. :mrgreen:

Here's one that may be of help to you:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

US First Lady and humanitarian Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)

I :heart: love that lady – she was no beauty by the standards of the day but she had such a beautiful way with words.

You are doing this for you, Carmen.

When you prepare for :snooze: bed and look in the mirror and wash your face, you can feel :exercise: proud of yourself for not reacting inappropriately.

(Jan, your mother actually measured you? :question: That is so awful! :no: It is one of the crummy things in your life history that has contributed to the :angel: sweetness I see in you today!)

We all have :twisted: toxic people in our life circles. Yes, killing skanky-spirited people with kindness is always in order.

When we are :pet: kind and :angel: good when others are :x toxic, we have no regrets. It is a privilege denied to many.

For the rest of today, I shall endeavor to do my best to not become one of those toxic-lipped loonies to the people I love and care about.

Carmen, I am just so proud of you for your excellent 45 pound weight loss! You are doing great.

I am so happy for you and the baggy pants are proof that you are slimmin’!
:coolnana: :bananadance: :sheepjump: :coolnana: :bananadance: :sheepjump:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Thank You!!

Postby CarmenM » December 28th, 2005, 10:16 pm

Oh wow Nancy!! Thank you so much for your wonderful words, they truly do make a difference and inspire me to keep doing well on the program! I so do appriciate all the support that you and the rest of the forum offer all of us on Medifast... Although her words did hurt me greatly, I know that i can use this experience to motivate me to continue doing well and to prove to everyone including myself that I CAN DO THIS! :lol:
~Carmen~

CarmenM

Postby Nancy » December 28th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Ah,
to prove to everyone including myself that I CAN DO THIS
there ya go, Slim! Atta Girl! You're making lemonade (sugar-free, of course!) outta that old Sour Puss! :lol:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Just a little update!!

Postby CarmenM » December 29th, 2005, 8:12 am

Hey everyone!! Well.. just in case anyone was wondering... I didn't wait around to get the recite.. instead i just went to Lane Bryant (I had to take advantage of the holiday sales..lol) and exchanged my size 26/28 clothes with size 18/20!!!! Plus i got a pretty good deal because i left with more clothes then i had gone in with. I got 2 panths and 3 shirts all sizez 18/20!!! Wow.. i really couldn't believe it.. but it sure does feel good to be able to buy and fit into a smaller size.. I can just imagine how much more wonderful it will feel to buy even SMALLER CLOTHES!!!
~Carmen~

CarmenM

Postby Nancy » December 29th, 2005, 11:24 am

:shock: Oh, Carmen!

Wowser! :boing:

That's spectacular! :yippee:

The Mother's :twisted: comments surely cannot eliminate that :lol: wonderful :lol: feeling you have now!

Every time the :twisted: negative feeling her words raised in your mind and heart returns to your mind, set aside those :twisted: skanky words/feelings by looking at the label of your new smaller size clothing!

:secret: Hunny, you've dropped FOUR BAGS OF DOG FOOD! :roflmao:

No one with any :nana: sense can argue with the fact that a size 18/20 is considerably smaller than a size 26/28. :yay:

We are very happy for you - you just experienced a magical "Medifast Moment" right there in the dressing room of Lane Bryant.

:secret: You won't be shopping there much longer - you'll be in regular sizes in regular department stores very soon! :angel:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Gwenski » December 29th, 2005, 4:11 pm

As if dating boys wasn't hard enough....Carmen, you poor thing. Sorry you went through all of that. Between landing a good guy, the weight loss and the return bonanza at Lane Giant, you actually MADE OUT ALRIGHT!!! 18/20 baby -- you are going to be slipping out of the store in NO TIME.

Make sure to be extra nice to your green eyed potential mother in law darling -- more flys with honey and all that! Hey, write her a HUGE thank you note telling her about the return/exchange fest and how great it is that she got you a new wardrobe. Heck, go over there with your bags of goodies and give her a fashion show and make sure you take your most huge old outfit so she can see and BELIEVE!

Be yourself and don't let this woman get in your head cause intentionally or not, she will try -- remember she raised your boyfriend and he must rock cause he is with you!

Breathe in and out and keep shrinking there cause you are GREAT!!!!
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby sidrah » January 2nd, 2006, 8:22 pm

I realize I am jumping in late and just got here--new to the board, but not rudeness!!

But maybe the clothing you were wearing was SO big on you that she really didnt notice all that much. If I were you I would go over there with the little skinny clothes and ask her if she noticed anything, now. Obviously, there is no excuse for the attitude, but you haev to relaize some people can't help being stupid. The teacher I work with says to jsut laugh at them cause stupid people are so stupid they don't know it... It is like a side order of fun watching them back peddle from dumb comments.

Man, I would love to exchange size 28 for 20...any day!!!! CONGRATS on such a good job!
sidrah
Preferred member

Thank you :)

Postby CarmenM » January 2nd, 2006, 8:43 pm

Hi Sidrah!! Welcome to the board!!!

Well yeah.. my clothes might have been the reason for her not noticing my loss but oh well.. she'll notice on her own time. It's funny because some people notice really fast while others.. just don't but as long as the scale keeps going down and i know that i'm losing I'M HAPPY!!!

Sometimes it's a little hard to laught at hurtful comments but i guess that is something we all should work on at times.

As for the shrinking of sizes, you will SO get there soon and trust me i know size 20 is still pretty big.. but it sure does feel good to know that you are shrinking and that medifast really does work!!! :lol:
~Carmen~

CarmenM

Return to The Weight Room