I'm new, too!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

I'm new, too!

Postby littleme » January 19th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Hi, everyone!

This is day 8 for me on medifast! I have not felt this good in a long time! I would love to lose 40 lbs. I'm 45 and had abdominal surgery 3 months ago that prevented me from doing much, except gain 15 unwanted lbs.!!!

So far, I have lost 7! That is faster than when I lost weight on Atkins about 5 years ago! The problem is I never actually reached my goal at that time and slowly gained it all back, plus some more! Whenever I tried to re-induct after the first time, I would fail to get into ketosis. I know that I am in ketosis now because I have so much energy (and the keto breath, yuck)!

I know that I will have many questions as I continue on this journey. I have enjoyed reading these posts, and I'm so glad that I found this place!

This weekend, I will face my first challenge since I started. My MIL's birthday dinner in an Italian Restaurant. I plan to order broiled fish and steamed vegetables, and wrap up 1/2 to go. My in-laws love to order lots of appetizers for the table to share. (And don't forget the carafes of wine!) The bread and pasta won't tempt me since I've done low-carb for so long. I'm feeling so good, finally, that I won't allow myself to slip up. Should I have 2 shakes right before going out to fill me up? I think the reservation is for 4:00PM but we usually stay for several hours. Maybe I can keep a shake in the car if I need one later?

Please give me some tips about dining out. It has been so easy cooking for my family. I know that we can't avoid social situations. I think the winter is probably easier than other times of the year. Once the warm weather comes along, us newbies will be good at this!!!

Thanks for any advice!

littleme
littleme
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 19th, 2005, 12:47 pm

Hi littleme! Welcome -- I LOVE your username.

Today is day 17 for me (but who's counting? ;)). I've been out to dinner twice now, once with a MediFasting friend so there was no big deal, and once with three other people who were not dieting at all. I found that having a shake an hour before we got to the restaurant meant that I wasn't really hungry, and thus not really tempted. I made it past the breads, appetizers, etc. I ordered the salad, no croutons, dressing on the side, and had cajun salmon (Nancy has said elsewhere that with fish you can have a bit more than the 4-5 ounces, although I didn't know that at the time and so just ate about half of it and brought the rest home for the next day).

That, and lots of iced tea and iced water got me through very comfortably, and nobody commented at all.

Eat more slowly too. Really taste each bite. That means you finish with about everybody else, and give your food time to fill you up.

Good luck!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Sylvia » January 19th, 2005, 12:49 pm

Social settings are hard - especially at first - but you can do it! I think your plan to order fish and veggies is a good one. I would order some pellegrino or perrier or sparkling water of some kind - keeps you feeling full. I wouldn't double up on the advance shake but definitely have one just before dinner. Have lots of water and your meal - that should carry you through the event. The hard part won't be the physical hunger it will be looking at the appetizers and deserts and not being able to have any. Just be strong. The urge will pass and you will feel great about yourself for staying string in the face of temptation.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

S
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby littleme » January 19th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the quick responses, 24K and Sylvia! :D

I'm sort of looking forward to the challenge now! I'll let you know how it goes!

BTW, my dh said to me last night, so have you lost any weight?

I know that it probably doesn't show much,(8 lbs.) but I hate it when I'm asked that question! It just isn't very encouraging! Anyone else have this problem? What is a good comeback? I know that people will start with their negative opinions.

Time for my next shake. :eat: I'm really starting to love this stuff!

littleme
littleme
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Triskets » January 19th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Littleme -

I've run into the same situations. If the restaurant dinner collides with my MF schedule, I take my shaker and my MF with me and order a glass of diet cola. Pour the diet cola in my shaker, add the MF and drink away.
The servers in the restaurant are not going to hassle you about it.

I've found everyone to be supportive even if they don't agree with my weight loss plan. I'm not willing to set myself up because I KNOW I will stay on the program and get rid of the extra poundage.

Happy Slurping!
Trish
Pound by pound my weight is coming down!
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.