New Here and First day on MF

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

New Here and First day on MF

Postby Karakuri » June 12th, 2006, 10:17 pm

hey all...

just thought i'd poke my head in here first and say, well, hello.

today (well yesterday now) was my first day on MF. i can't get over how people can DO this. i will stick with it, but i'm craving carbs like mad. breads, cookies, pasta... you name it, i want it.

so... i'm on the 5+1 and kept to the rules. i drank all the water and hrm... i didn't cheat! so tempted too though.

the hunger is driving me nutters right now. my L&G meal was kinda lacking in taste. i need to rethink my whole cooking outlook and really pick and chose the foods i eat now.

the problem is that i'm kinda scared to stray from the book. i know i can eat fat free cheese, but at the same time i'm scared that would ruin everything.

does anyone have any pointers?

a little about me... i guess.. :P

i'm female, 32 (33 in a couple months), 5'7", and weigh around 260 lbs. i haven't weighed myself since last week, but i don't think it's changed much.
i suffer from Fibromyalgia (FMS) and i am on meds for that and something else.

where i live, the doctors don't seem all that interested in helping me out w/ MF. i'm not sure if it's just Canada as a whole, or if it's something else. some said i should be fine while others told me this diet isn't good for the "long haul".

anyway, i'm rambling FAR too much for an introductory post.

if anyone has ANY pointers for my L&G meals, please feel free to post them. my head is reeling a bit from all the choices and i'm not sure what would be best for me.
Last edited by Karakuri on June 13th, 2006, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karakuri
Preferred member

Postby emarooster » June 12th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Welcome Karakuri :D . I've been on MF for only a week, but I can tell you that it really does get better. For the first 4 days I was ready to eat the furniture. Then I woke up one morning and felt fine. I get a normal kind of hunger when I'm due to eat soon anyway, but the stuff on Fear Factor doesn't look good anymore. Try reading the old posts and see what others have gone through. It will help prepare you for what lies ahead. I found it quite inspirational and a relief to know that I'm not alone.

As for cooking...well...I'm not much a of a cook. I bought a grill pan for my stove. Most days I have turkey, fish or chicken with grill seasoning (I especially like Cavender's Greek Seasoning) on it. If I think about it early enough in the day, I'll marinate the meat, but usually I forget, or get busy. I always make a salad on the side. Sometimes I'll steam some fresh veggies to throw in the salad. Tonight I got a hankering for a little fresh parmisan cheese on my salad. I added just enough for flavor and cut back on the turkey portion a bit to compensate. I stick close to the book, too.

I am also a recovering carb junkie. I couldn't make stuffing to go with the turkey for the rest of that family because I KNEW it was too much temptation right now. So the whole famn damily went lean and green with me tonight. Baby steps, right?

So good luck. You've come to right place for inspiration, feedback and friendship.
Our family motto: "We Put the FUN in Disfunctional!"
emarooster
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby loriannk » June 13th, 2006, 6:24 am

Hello & Welcome!

The cravings will go away in about a week. Then you can cook and see the food and it won't bother you too much. I have to cook for my family and it was hard to start but now I dont even think about it. I just do it and eat my meals.

Once you start seeing the pounds melt away it keeps you from straying. At least for me it works that way. I want to be skinny much more then I want that piece of bread. :D Make sure to check out the lean cusine section here and you will find lots of recipe ideas for l&g and the supplements.

Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!!

Lori
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby falisamarie » June 13th, 2006, 6:50 am

Welcome!

You can find many L&G ideas in the Lean Cuisine section here on the forum.

You will soon find that your cravings subside and it gets much easier.

You can also have an extra shake the first few days to help with hunger if you need to.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Michelle » June 13th, 2006, 8:32 am

Welcome!

I found that spacing my meals every 2 hours (rather than 3) and increasing my water helped me get through those first few days. You'll be amazed at how your hunger goes away and how great you feel in just a few short days. Take it one day at a time, and you'll be there before you know it. ;)

Have a great day!

Michelle
Michelle
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby VTGirlie » June 13th, 2006, 9:24 am

Hi there, and WELCOME! :)

The cravings are hard, at first. There isn't a way around them, unfortunately. :? The good news is that they go away after a few days to a week, as long as you stay on plan. (I promise- I don't think any of us would still be here if they didn't!) The bad news is that if you "cheat", they come back for a few days. Great incentive to stay on track!!! :roll:

As for the lean and green, once you get over the cravings it will become much easier. I, too, have worked the L&G into our family supper. I may make rice or potatoes for my family, but the basic meat/veggie combo is always something I can eat. Interestingly, we've all cut down on the starches since I started, which is great!!!

check out the recipes and get creative. Plus, it's GRILL SEASON which helps a lot!!!

:)

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie

Postby Arklahoma » June 13th, 2006, 11:19 am

Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Tiolazz » June 13th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Welcome Kara, and good luck......
Tiolazz
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 13th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Welcome!

I'm so glad you've joined us and made it through the first day! It DOES get easier! I know what you're going through, I was DREAMING about food (mostly Russell Crowe serving me chili cheese fries, but I digress!) It definitely gets better AND easier. as long as we don't cheat and START OVER! Post if you need ANYTHING! Check out the lean cuisine section for sure, see if it helps!

I also stick to the book religiously and have been repaid with amazing losses, feeling Great and changing my body AND getting rid of the "carb addict" tag around my neck!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Elke » June 13th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Hi Tara, welcome. You have gotton some great advice from both longtimers and newbies. It will get better just like they said. Stick with it and remember why you choose to do this. Stay focused and remember we are all here to help you.
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Karakuri » June 14th, 2006, 12:36 pm

thanks all for the wonderful support. i'm onto my third day and still finding it hard... but that is to be expected. ;P

i'll have to go through the forum and find some recipe ideas. so far i've been pretty boring in my choices. mostly cus i never used to think about the stuff i used. i used to LOVE cooking, but now it's kinda unfun.

alright! it's nearly time for a MF meal, so think i'll wander off to do that.

thanks again for the support!
start date: June 12, 2006
start weight: 260
new start date: May 14, 2008
current weight: 260
goal weight: 160
height: 5'7"
back on medifast, again, and ready to kick it into gear!
Karakuri
Preferred member

Postby FORMOMMY » June 14th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Welcome Kara - you already have some great advice so I just wanted to say hello and that you will do just fine.

Welcome to this crazy group!!! :lol:
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY

Postby Joelie » June 17th, 2006, 7:58 am

:wavie: Kara and...

Honest...it DOES get easier. Stick with it and stick with us...you'll see. ;)
I really used to dispise cooking before. Now it's sort of challenging and fun to come up with new ways to make things tasty. We have all but 1 flavor of Mrs. Dash, SEVERAL bbq seasonings that are AWESOME sprinkled on just about anything including veggies, we BAM things up with Emril...one of my all time faves is No Salt Cavenders, I love this sprinkled on EVERYTHING...even my cottage cheese! YUM! A new one we will be trying on shrimp tomorrow night is Citrus Grill by Durkee Grill Creations...I'm TOTALLY stoked and can't wait! :boing:

I guess with all this dribble I am trying to get across that there are tons of good stuff out there to make your mouth drool. Image
Joelie
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Return to Come on in.